June 4th, 2008

Kennedy joins Obama VP search team

Kennedy is joining Obama's VP search team.

Kennedy is joining Obama's VP search team.

(CNN) - Caroline Kennedy has joined Barack Obama's vice presidential selection team, an Obama campaign spokesman said Wednesday.

Former Fannie Mae CEO Jim Johnson and former Deputy U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder are also serving on the committee.

Kennedy, the daughter of President John F. Kennedy, formally endorsed Obama late January in a New York Times op-ed piece titled, "A President Like My Father."

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them," Kennedy wrote then. "But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president - not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Phong Nguyen

We should thank S. Kennedy and Caroline Kennedy for helping to dividing the Democratic Party by endorsing S. Obama knowing that S. Clinton is well liked and qualified for the job!!!

June 4, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  2. FactCheck

> If Hillary is not the VP you will have 18 million voters including this
    > family that will be ticked off and will not only refuse to vote for Obama
    >….but will start campaigning for McCain.

Be our guest... and while you're at it, you may want to start thinking about how you're going to survive after you are unemployed, without healthcare, foreclosed and outsourced. Forewarned if forearmed.

June 4, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  3. kcw2288

So apparently the US people are voting, not on substance. Remember that President George W Bush's campaign also stated that "we need change", yet look at where that got us over the past several years. I have heard alot of rhetoric around change, but not substance behind it.

I am a democrate by heart, but have been taken back by the party's issues for the past several months. How can this party dream of leading the country when they have so many issues with just deciding on who to put into the race? I believe in democracy, yet I do not believe in indecisiveness. We waited so long for those undecised swing votes that delayed this process going forward. These delagates are put into positions for making decisions... I am afraid of their lack of actions when the country is in financial and reputational turmoil. We need action now

Next, all I have heard is that Obama is an African American.... he is also white.... These both factors will help his campaign. Yet the biggest mistake that Obama can do is not to have Clinton as VP. Obama's victory is not by a landslide whatsoever, so he needs to capture the voters that Clinton received.... the polls show that many who supported Hillary will not vote for Obama, but rather McCain.

June 4, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  4. Beth

For those who think Obama NEEDS Hillary.. ah, look again at who is the nominee.

For those who are having a 10yr old type of tantrum- wah, I just won't vote if Hillary isn't on the ticket! wah! – you are the most selfish of voters.

We CAN NOT DO ANOTHER 4 YEARS under REPUBLICAN leadership! What part of the last 7 years are you happy with? $4+ gas? 4000+ dead soldiers? foreclosures nation wide? an economy in recession? An America that is no longer respected by the rest of the globe? Are you proud of a president who slaughter's the English language every time he opens his mouth? And it seems McCain is following Bush's lead on everything – including not knowing his facts when speaking to the public.

Both Obama and Hillary are outstanding and we would be lucky to have either one – I would have voted for Hillary had she won but she didn't. We need a new direction.

One happy Obama supporter.

June 4, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. Politiko

Absolutely excellent choice–as long as she keeps him away from appointing Hillary.

June 4, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  6. peakarach,des moines

OBAMA/FIDEL CASTRO 08!

June 4, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  7. Grace

Obama wins by being brilliant every step of his way to......White House. Great move.

June 4, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  8. DemocracyNow2008

My choices for VP on the Obama ticket are as follows

Kathleen Sebelius Governor of Kansas
    Senator Barbara Boxer of California
    Governor Bill Richardson of New Mexico
    Senator John Edwards
    Senator Claire McCaskill
    I hope Senator Obama adds these find folks to his VP list.
    Obama 08

June 4, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  9. Antory NJ

Being the master chess player that Barack is, I think this is a very wise decision. I am thrill that Caroline Kennedy is on the VP Team.

June 4, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  10. Charles

Caroline is not going to let Obama pick Hillary. I'm relieved to see her on the team.

June 4, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  11. All rules are made to be broken?

Why do Clinton supporters insist on counting Michigan when Obama's name isn't even on the ballot?

All candidates have signed a pledge not to campaign in Michigan and Florida. Despite Clinton being the ONLY major name on the ballot in Michigan, she ONLY won 56% of the votes!!!!

June 4, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  12. JAMES (GEORGIA)

I THINK OBAMA IS SURROUNDING HIMSELF WITH THE NECESSARY AND RIGHT PEOPLE TO ENSURE HE HAS A STRONG CHANCE TO WIN THE PRESIDENCY AND WILL BE AN EFFECTIVE LEADER. CONTRARY TO WHAT OTHERS MAY THINK HAVING A CLINTON IN THE INNER CIRCLE ISN'T A NECESSITY.

June 4, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  13. Chris, Los Angeles

Why doesn't Obama propose Caroline Kennedy as a VP candidate, I think she would make a great additional to the campaign.

June 4, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  14. justjoe

hey, DJ,,,,yiy mean Nunn as in Nunn of the Above? ...talk about establishment types.

June 4, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  15. Anonymous

Not All People Who Voted For Clinton Will Vote Against Obama! Thousands Are Leaving Her Camp Every Day. Even Some Of Her Biggest Supporters! You Cant Force That Poison Pill Clinton Down Obamas Throat! Get Over Yourselves!

June 4, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  16. Brian Seattle

I am also confused. What has Caroline done to be so smart in finding a VP for Obama? Can someone give me some insight in why she is so special? She was only a First Daughter for a brief spell. Just because she is a Kennedy does not make her a political genius. If that were true, wouldn't she have ran off a bridge and killed a friend in a river by now?

June 4, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  17. Grant

How about Ms. Kennedy herself as VP? I would like to see a female in this slot and have no reservations about this, just not Sen Clinton......I am tired about all the sexist chatter, people are rejecting the woman not the women...that is not sexist!

June 4, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  18. Robert B.

I like Obama, he seems genuine. He is an idealist, which is always good. McCain is obviously more of a realist...which is unpopular...but still, better than evil Hillary.

June 4, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  19. Superdelegate Bob

Caroline Kennedy is such a great choice to help find a V.P.! She's done such great work over the years as President of the Kennedy Library Foundation, as director of the Commission on Presidential Debates and as director of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund. Also as adviser to the Harvard Institute of Politics.

June 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  20. Mark, Berwyn, PA

Great hire. Please pick someone other than the Wicked Witch of the South (aka Hillary Clinton).

June 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  21. robert

This is discusting how even after Obama has won the nomination; we continue to se hate, hate, hate and more hate. This proof that we are devided in America; and even after this historic milestone in our lives; you people continue to not be satisfied. What is this telling us for the future. Wipe your eyes people and look real careful; Obama has an aweful lot of work to do to unite America; it will not come easy; and with the two of them on the ticket; they are inseparable. Noone will touch them. I am a Hillary supporter diehard!!!! However last night i accepted the fact that he won; but with that said; be certain, I will try to understand him; I will try to accept him as our nominee; but I will NOT accept him if he does not make Hillary his running mate! Case and point.

June 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  22. No Clinton

OBAMA/SEBELIUS '08

June 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  23. William, from Cali

I will be glad, when this "circus" is over.Come 2009, and the Democrats take office, for REAL.........................................

June 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  24. Generation X

OBAMA SUPPORTERS- Please open your mind to the fact that Hillary ran a terrific campaign, this is politics, down, dirty, and unforgiving! She also did something just as significant as Obama winning the nomination, she was the first female to run so long in a major party's competitive political race. Please remember that Hillary and Obama have both poured their hearts and souls for the past year and a half so Hillary has every right to concede when and where she choses. I am an avid Obama supporter who understands when you fail to meet your dreams there will be harsh feelings of disappointment and time is needed to heal. Hillary still needs to lose her husband, he makes me sick!

June 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  25. Army Wife

===========hey clintons,

--–Leave our country alone-----

hillary is worst than bush

June 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |