June 4th, 2008

Kennedy joins Obama VP search team

Kennedy is joining Obama's VP search team.

Kennedy is joining Obama's VP search team.

(CNN) - Caroline Kennedy has joined Barack Obama's vice presidential selection team, an Obama campaign spokesman said Wednesday.

Former Fannie Mae CEO Jim Johnson and former Deputy U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder are also serving on the committee.

Kennedy, the daughter of President John F. Kennedy, formally endorsed Obama late January in a New York Times op-ed piece titled, "A President Like My Father."

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them," Kennedy wrote then. "But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president - not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ma'am please!

I agree with Irene Adams, what makes Kennedy an expert on this??? Well her ole man never inspired me, didn't he bring us to the brink of nuclear war???
    Obama needs Clinton by his side, a woman can add a lot of common sense to his leadership...

June 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  2. Deanna

I hope Hillary Clinton will bow out and turn away from the back stabbing DNC and Washington boys club.
    She would get tremendous support were she to run as an Independent.
    I respect and admire her for the terrific fight she put up and her many years she has given to Public Service.
    Obama is a weak candidate , inexperienced and unvetted.
    America will pay dearly , should he make it to the White House.

June 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. Olivia

Hillary being VP makes absolute sense if the party is to be united fast with little disruption and hard feelings. It's obvious.

I'm afraid this solution may be too simple for those controlling the process.

June 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. All rules are made to be broken?

Hillary is trying to strongarm her name onto the ballot. What she doesn't realize is that if Obama doesn't pick her and Obama loses, Hillary will be blamed for this defeat and become a political outcast for the Democrats (She may get complimented from Rush Limbaugh though). Her political life will be effectively over.

So, Hillary supporters, go ahead, vote for McCain. You will only end up hurting your cause and your candidate.

June 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  5. Tom G.

I sure hope Caroline Kennedy can talk sense into Sen. Obama, and inform him he does not need Sen. Clinton to be elected president .
    Sen. Obama won the primary electon without Sen. Clinton and Bill Clinton.

June 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  6. Farrell, Houston, Tx

There are so many qualified people for V.P. such as John Edwards, Daschle, Bidden and they are so well respected.

June 4, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  7. JJ

Caroline Kennedy and Barack Obama, will Mechelle be a stand by your man kinda of gal? The story will break real soon.

June 4, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  8. shirley

Senator Obama has picked a good team, please anyone but Hillary.

June 4, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  9. wits

Very good. The Clintons will be too much baggage to muddle through on a daily basis. We don't want to do that again. They have had their time and is time for them to move on. They represent the same old Washington politics. We want CHANGE!!!!!

June 4, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. Tom

The one sure way to lose is to pick Hillary for VP. She can have another time but this is NOT her time. Last night was nauseating to watch. Choose carefully but never, ever pick Hillary...PLEEEZE

June 4, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  11. YES WE CAN

Rendell would be horrible. He was still saying Wednesday morning that Hillary would make a better President. They are still campaigning.

Barack ran a perfect campaign and he will select the best VP that can work with him. We must go forward.

Hillary and Bill bring so much baggage and a lot of garbage.

A 60 year old Republican w/female voting for Barack Obama.

June 4, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  12. Rob

At first I was for a Obama/Clinton ticket...but after last night..nah..not anymore...Hilary and her supporters think this election is about her and nobody else. Bush thinks like that and I do not want the democratic version of him....she makes me more nervous now then ever.

June 4, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  13. Dee, St. Louis

@Dave SC can you say sore loser. HA HA HA or republican???

June 4, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  14. Thomas

"You would rather put our country through 4 more years of GWB aka Grandpa McCain, rather than vote for your party and for change?"

Yes because Bush RAN for change in 2000, change is not always good. Obama is a puppet to the DNC has always been. He will NEVER win in Nov, but I knew he was going to win vs. Hillary because the DNC don't like her, she got more votes (you know real votes not bullied votes) but the supers pushed Obama over the top and they "system" made Obama win.

I would not be amazed if Obama killed off McCain so he could run unopposed AGAIN what an elitist group we have running for the DNC.

Hillary write in 08'

June 4, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  15. DEX

For all of you Hillary backers that are upset, as democrats why would you all even consider voting for John Mccain. This is no popularity contest or a spectacle to be taken lightly. This is about the future of our Great country.

This is about policies and things like Jobs, healthcare, our soldiers and the futures of our children. Unfortunately your statements are being made out of personal contempt and not sound judgment. Something like what many right wing republicans do. You all would be so unpatriotic and selfish not to vote for Obama because he outperformed your candidate.

That is truly so unpatriotic

Now I know America is better than that and unfortunately for the haters the best of America will prevail and you all slider back into your ignorance little lives and complain your lives away.

June 4, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  16. james

Quality people? The guy from FNMA is a disaster, he ran FNMA into the ground and helped create the disfunction in the market now. Bad pick. Only person he can pick for VP and win is Bloomberg. If bloomy isnt in the mix he won't win. Just a quick question for Obama supporters. You realize that if Obama or Hillary becomes president he will roll back both tax cuts Bush gave us, which in money terms if youhave 3 children thats guarenteed 1800 less on your return. You understand this correct? You also understand that your taxes that come out of your paycheck will rise to pay for healthcare for some idiot who decided at 18 he didnt wanna goto college cause he would rather booze up or his parents didnt save enough cause they wanted to party instead of going to college? Oh this will happen to those making over 45K. I make 67K and i cant afford any more taxes taken out nor do i want to pay for healthcare for some bozo who didnt push himself to do better in life and now collects garbage and makes 20K. I dont care about him I care about my kids.

June 4, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  17. Fernandez

If Hillary runs as an Independent, she will be the next rPresident

June 4, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  18. Robert Lucas

Quick follow to previous post. The 12th Amendment addresses this, but in doing so calls for a vote for Vice President.

It seems that neither applies, or I am just not understanding the Article nor the Amendment.

June 4, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  19. Mister Anderson

Caroline is going to name herself like Dick Cheney did to George Bush!

June 4, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. SUE, Michigan

And every one of these people supports Obama...reminds me of Bush surrounding himself with yes-men because he was sure he had all the answers anyway, and didn't want to hear anyone who disagreed with him.
    The only ticket to bring everyone on board would be Obama/ Clinton. Otherwise, the Dems lose to McCain.
    And to all you Omababots who are so sure he will bring change-can you give me an example of a change he will propose and get through the Congress? Just one? I hear "change' "change" but no specifics. And by the way, "Change we can believe in" is very bad grammar! I'd love change, but I do not think he has the knowledge and connections to actually do anything. And now he's threatening Iran to appease the Republicans. Same old, same old! Both parties nominated weak candidates who talk a good game but will do nothing positive for this country. If we bomb Iran, we are doomed!

June 4, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  21. ROCHELLE IN NEW YORK

We have several Republicans on this site. They want and Hillary wants him to pick her so that the Republicans can have McCain and his VP beat the pants off of him. That would be the only way that McCain can win and Hillary can run in 2012. She needs to step back and do the right thing and endorse Obama and stop her messy mess. Lets move on and do what we need to do and that is as Democrats pump up the volumn for Obama and bring in more Dems and get the Democrats back into the Oval Office.

Rochelle on New York City!!!!!

June 4, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  22. Misha

Without Clinton Obama will never win 18 million people are dead for Obama???

June 4, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  23. Laurie Velez

I have never, ever seen Caroline Kennedy so happy. In fact I never saw her involed in politics as she is now. This tells me a lot. I am thrilled she is involved in the Obama campaign.

June 4, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  24. NORA, FLORIDA

It is about time that someone is standing up to let the CLINTONS know that they DON'T RUN this election process. She better get her act together if she wants to be considered because for the 18 million that she spoke about last night, Obama has another 18 and then some that will show up in the General.

Clinton obviously think that America is old, blind, and stupid. Not all of us have our head in the sand.

June 4, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  25. Scott

This is so nice Caroline Kennedy will pick someone that will work with the world NOT with all RICH people. NO to the Clinton!

Obama.