June 4th, 2008

Kennedy joins Obama VP search team

Kennedy is joining Obama's VP search team.

Kennedy is joining Obama's VP search team.

(CNN) - Caroline Kennedy has joined Barack Obama's vice presidential selection team, an Obama campaign spokesman said Wednesday.

Former Fannie Mae CEO Jim Johnson and former Deputy U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder are also serving on the committee.

Kennedy, the daughter of President John F. Kennedy, formally endorsed Obama late January in a New York Times op-ed piece titled, "A President Like My Father."

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them," Kennedy wrote then. "But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president - not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. naomi

Caroline, I love you for coming out first for Obama.

June 4, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  2. Derek from Louisiana

Don't make the mistake of selecting Hillary Rodham Clinton your VP. I am a fan of Bill Clinton, not Hillary. Their time was their time. However, in the wake of the unfolding events during the primary, I am hard-pressed to believe that she will act in good faith. Not just the primary campaign tactics she exhibited, but the defiance in her speech on 06/03/08 did I fully understand that she would be a Democratic Dick Cheney. As much as it used to be considered a "dream ticket," it would be a nightmare ticket. She has exposed so much that I feel there are irrepairable differences. She, to me, is like trying to let your wounds heal while still wearing the same old dirty band aid that could cause an infection.

June 4, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  3. Joe, Montana

I guess Hillary also underestimated her inevitability of VP also.
    Especially after her disgraceful performance last night in her defiance
    to acknowledge Senator Obama's earned win. Oh well, while
    Hillary is still "campaigning", I guess Senator Obama will be busy
    with his new vice-presidential selection team, looking for a VP that
    will work with him.

Obama 08.

June 4, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  4. yes08

Look to the future not the past, Obama. Clinton in publicly angling to become VP diminishes Obama if he picks her (caving into pressure)and diminishes Obama if he doesn't (ramps up the anger of the Clinton supporters). A machiavellian ploy by the Clintons I'm afraid.

June 4, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  5. DC Man

Thank goodness they are putting some thought into this selection and not succumbing to pressure from Stonewall Clinton.

June 4, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  6. Joe

Now Caroline Kennedy, there's a person with profound qualifications in such matters. With all due respect, she was – what, five years old when JFK died?

June 4, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  7. Shasta

Obama/Hagel 08 or Obama/Sebelius 08, please.

June 4, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  8. Sue in CT

Not good enough – Caroline should be tapped as VP! What more could signify the change that Obama promises? A squeaky clean VP – how's that for change?

June 4, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  9. IT'S FINALLY OVER NOW FOR THE REAL BEGINNING

obama 08
    obama 08
    obama 08
    obama 08
    obama 08
    obama 08
    obama 08
    obama 08

that's about all i have to say join the movement.

June 4, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  10. ken

The media is still obsessed with the Clintons.....Time to move on and stop overshadowing Obama's victory!

June 4, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  11. Y

These are smart people. They won't pick Hillary.

June 4, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  12. Mario

The search is on! Let's hope the result is NOT Hillary!!

June 4, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  13. Addis - observer

... Make sure that there is no HRC in there! ...

...some people think they have the RIGHT / ENTITLEMENT ... and interpret HRC as Human Right Campaign (no offence for the tenacious Lany Davis) !! ...

June 4, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  14. granforchange

This is Wonderful News !!! With a Kennedy On the Team You cannot go wrong !! Music to My ears... I have always loved and admired the Kennedys...... This Makes My day even better..... Obama Suporter in Wisconsin

June 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  15. Dee

First who has listened to Carter in years?

Secondly, this is the first time in 20 years that I have turned CNN's best news team off. I have gone to MSNBC for my updates. CNN simply has supporter campaigning on the shows for thier candidates. There is no real political analysis.

June 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  16. Chris

Hillary. Search done! Now pay me the $$$$ you were going to give them.

June 4, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  17. Mary

Caroline Kennedy for VP!

June 4, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  18. Joe

The worst thing is to take Clintons back in the white house. Obama can win this thing alone once he shows people the difference between himself and the mccain who want to perpetuate George Bush's third term!

June 4, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  19. Sylvia

give me a feaking break!!!!
    Caroline?
    who is she picking???? Oprah??????

June 4, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  20. TEXAS TRAIL DOG

KENNEDY FALL IN THE SAME RIVER YOU LEFT YOUR SECRETARY IN. You are a worthless piece of junk. YOU DESERVE TO BE RIGHT THERE SUPPORTING OBAMA. TWO SNAKES TOGETHER. ALONG COMES A MONGOOSE, WHERE DID THE SNAKES GO?

Run on an Independent ticket HILLARY.

June 4, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  21. Politico

It's certainly going to be a difficult decision–lots of fantastic choices out there. I'm particularly fond of the governor of Kansas. I also love Biden, but am afraid he puts his foot in his mouth too often (even if he's right almost all of the time!). Bloomburg and Hagel if he wants to bolster his moderate supporters disillusioned by McCain (and to balance out all the Clinton supporters putting themselves above party and principle).

I can't wait until the ticket is established!

June 4, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  22. SANAA

NO CLINTONS PLEASE................

OBAMA 08

June 4, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  23. Chula

What do they need to search?

More democrats voted for Hillary than Obama.....isn't it obvious who would be the best VP is Obama wins the nomination?

It looks like the Washington elite are determined to push their own egos and agenda and willing to lose this nomination in November.

If Hillary is not the VP you will have 18 million voters including this family that will be ticked off and will not only refuse to vote for Obama ....but will start campaigning for McCain.

We are tired of the DNC and the Washington Elite not listening to the American voters....which by the way voted overwhelming for Hillary.

This voter says NO to Obama ....NO to the WASHINGTON ELITE....
    NO to FRAUD!.......NO OBAMA

June 4, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  24. Rave

Ok Good. Can you strike out a name called " Hillary " from that list.
    OBAMA (2008 -16)

June 4, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  25. Kristen

This is great news. Let him interview people who he feels is qualified not just what Clinton supporters want. I hope that these two will give an objective ear, but I am sure Obama has made sure of that already.

June 4, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |