June 4th, 2008

Kennedy joins Obama VP search team

Kennedy is joining Obama's VP search team.

Kennedy is joining Obama's VP search team.

(CNN) - Caroline Kennedy has joined Barack Obama's vice presidential selection team, an Obama campaign spokesman said Wednesday.

Former Fannie Mae CEO Jim Johnson and former Deputy U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder are also serving on the committee.

Kennedy, the daughter of President John F. Kennedy, formally endorsed Obama late January in a New York Times op-ed piece titled, "A President Like My Father."

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them," Kennedy wrote then. "But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president - not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. MRS. H FROM STONE MOUNTAIN

Wow! YeeHaa! That should show Clinton and her Campaign Manager and Yucky, Icky, Goowie that they are not so tough that Senator Obama can't find his own VP. I believe that Senator Clinton has disrespected Senator Obama more than enough and and she should start believing that "HE IS A BLACK MAN THAT BEAT HER TO THE NOMINATION" and get over it. I am so sick of her I don't know what to do. I pray that she is now on the LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG list instead of the short list. She is a sore loser and a very nasty campaigner along with her husband and campaign people. They are still trying to divide the Democratic Party and that they don't care about the people for real!

June 4, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  2. kr

No Hillary. She has deen disrespectful and said many damaging things about Obama during the campaigne. So has Bill.

Obama needs to pick someone he can trust. Put Hillary in cabinet as Sec of Health.

He needs to be his own man! He can win without her

OBAMA 08 YES WE CAN!

June 4, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  3. Griff

"Obama takes aim at McCain"????? What with? A Ten-Pin, Ball...

June 4, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  4. Harlow

Anyone but Hillary! I am 52 and from Wisconsin. I voted in our primary for Barack as a vote against Hillary and then I began to like who I voted for. I am looking forward voting for a democrat for president for the first time in my life. If Hillary is on the ticket, it is back to republican for me.

June 4, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  5. Kyle

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    SHAME on any Hillary supporter who will vote for McCrazy because they dislike Obama and cannot fathom her defeat. You people are NOT Democrats… and will have blood on your hands if your support for the Republican war machine proves successful. You people are pathetic and clearly have no clue what another Republican presidency would do to this fragile country. Go ahead, hate Obama… but at a minimum, recognize even if he was 2% better as a president than the current businessmen in power… and the senior citizen running against him… he's still 2% better and might even be 99% better. Which dice would you rather role. We know what we will get with McCain… we don't know what we will get with Obama. Those are odds I would take. Now wake up America…. the world is watching if you screw it up, AGAIN.

June 4, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  6. Anita

Wonderful!! Let's get the ball rolling. Yes We Can!!!

June 4, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  7. roger in illinois

Why wouldn't Senator Obama ask Senator Clinton to head up and conduct the VP search? She can make her big announcement at the convention which will build drama and attract a large audience. She may nominate herself but this way he doesn't have to ask. He's off the hook with his people, he looks magnanimous and her people will be happy with her choice if it is not her.

June 4, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  8. MurphyMorseJohnson

Barack Obama continues to exhibit great wisdom–in fact, Caroline Kennedy would not only make a great advisor, she would be a great running mate!

June 4, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  9. Hanging with Hillary

Who cares? Did the Kennedy connection help him win California? It won't help him win the election either. Without the Clinton supporters, Obama is toast.

June 4, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  10. The1tone

No Hillary?

NOBAMA!!!

I guess I'll be a McCain Democrat.

June 4, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  11. ALAN

WHAT'LL YOU BET CAROLINE KENNEDY PICKS HERSELF...AGAIN, IT IS WITH PEASURE I WILL VOTE AGAINST OBAMA AND FOR MCCAIN....WISE UP, PEOPLE.

June 4, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  12. Bitter Tommy Hussein in St. Louis

The worst thing Obama could do to himself and his campaign, as well as quite possibly his personal safety and health, is pick Hillary Clinton to be his running mate. Period. He's smart enough to know this, but I hope he doesn't cave in to any pressure that might be applied to him to do this.

Hillary and Bill and John McCain couldn't sink his credibility. Wright, Ayers, and Pfleger couldn't sink his credibility. All the freaks who make a big deal out of his middle name couldn't sink his credibility. But you can be darn sure he can sink his own credibility like the Titanic by picking her as his running mate. It would cause a lot of people to lose faith in him.

He would lose most of the votes from independents and moderates, and get zero votes from Republicans or "Obamacans." He would still not get very many of the racist Dixiecrats and reverse sexists to vote for him. And all for what – to pacify the "Let's Go McCain" freaks, or to win New York state, which he will win anyway? Not worth it, sorry. I don't endorse the New York Observer's endorsement.

June 4, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  13. Rick in Florida

Luke....Check your facts, Pal. The Republicans wanted Hillary as the Dem nominee, and now they are pushing that she be the VP.... Don't you wonder WHY they are pushing so hard??

Because 50% of America HATES her and will NEVER vote for her, and the GOP base will be SO GALVANIZED IF SHE'S THE vp that McCain could win in a big upset, whereas it should be a Democrat victory for sure this year.

She LOST !!! GET OVER IT !!

June 4, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  14. NoHillary

Why doesn't Obama choose Caroline Kennedy!? He's looking right at her – that would be great!

June 4, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  15. Jack

Colin Powell!! Wow what an interesting thought!!

June 4, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  16. Charlotte

What does Caroline Kennedy know about what the people of America want? She has stayed out of politics and the public eye until now? Was she already asked to be VP? That would explain her sudden attraction to politics. Obama is the presumitive nominee. Until the conventions, no one including McCain, are the nominees. the convention is when the actual votes will be given, until then anything can happen. I will wait until the convention to see the actual results. Out of three possible scenarios on popular votes, Obama is ahead in only one. He is not my nominee. If he is the actual nominee in August and that seems likely, I will at that time know how I will vote in November. I suspect I will have to vote for Hillary, by write-in.

June 4, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  17. doyle warren

That's is great to pick Caroline Kennedy just putting her to help wiyh the V.P. is still in the move for change. Stay away from the Clintons as far as possible he had the liberty to pick a outsider even no one from Washington. President Obama had a very nice ring to it so it had to b someone difference than V.P. Hillary,Hillary please no,no and no.

June 4, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  18. Lady 49

THe difference is MCCLINTON VOTER, is that we aren't going to let the sleazy people CHEAT voters in November. NOT THIS TIME!

OBAMA FOR AMERICA

June 4, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  19. Suzette

No HRC!!!

What she did last night was a disgrace to the Democratic party and process. And what her supporters are doing trying to strong-arm Obama into putting her on the ticket is the ultimate disrespect to Mr. Obama. No one would be doing that to her, if the positions were switched.

June 4, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  20. Charles

Good choice.

After last night's speech, Clinton did her supporters no good. They have fought hard to help her achieve the nomination. Clinton's campaign managers failed Clinton. They played a chess game on a board that is better suited to a game of Go and it showed.

The primaries are a 'members only' process in which the concept of vote as it would be defined in a general election does not apply. Her campaign team continues to fail to understand this even after being beaten. That failure is going to cost her a chance at the VP slot. And continued misunderstanding will probably make them lose a chance to impact the party's plank position at the convention.

June 4, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  21. goodcitizen

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    The "REAL FACES" are showing……………………

June 4, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  22. Andy

While I greatly respect the intellect of such a fine statesman as former President Carter, I would clearly NOT put campaign strategist on his resume. In point of fact, his historic foreign policy and humanitarian successes have often been overshadowed by his egregious and fundamental political missteps and blunders. If Mr Obama is looking for political counsel, I certainly hope he is looking elsewhere.

I want a Democrat in the White House. GWB ranks as one of the worst presidents in US history. Right up there with Buchanan and Warren G. Harding. (By the way... Carter is No. 11)

I voted for Hillary Clinton, along with nearly 18 million other democrats. If Mr. Obama takes the democratic nomination, it will be by the narrowest of margins. If he wants to take the White House, he will need all 18 million of us. Show Hillary the respect she deserves. He should show that he is a strong, forward-looking leader and ask her to be on the ticket with him. Of all the democrats that I have spoken to, the struggle they all had was that they liked them both and didn't want to choose.

What a great problem to have!!

June 4, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  23. Debby

Isn't this a repeat of these 2 from 2004. Look what happened to Kerry enough said.

June 4, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  24. YAY!

I love you Barack Obama!

June 4, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  25. TJP

Here he goes again. He picks "elitists" to head up his VP search. He still doesn't get it does he? Let's get ready to welcome President McCain.

June 4, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |