June 4th, 2008

Kennedy joins Obama VP search team

Kennedy is joining Obama's VP search team.

Kennedy is joining Obama's VP search team.

(CNN) - Caroline Kennedy has joined Barack Obama's vice presidential selection team, an Obama campaign spokesman said Wednesday.

Former Fannie Mae CEO Jim Johnson and former Deputy U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder are also serving on the committee.

Kennedy, the daughter of President John F. Kennedy, formally endorsed Obama late January in a New York Times op-ed piece titled, "A President Like My Father."

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them," Kennedy wrote then. "But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president - not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Informed voter

BRILLIANT–this will tamp down all the HRC talk. This is precisely why this guy is our nominee!!!

June 4, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  2. sita lal

Please Senator Obama. Not Hillary Clinton. You are the candidate of change. You are different and fresh. No more Clintons. Therefore, not more scandals and politics of the 90's.

Best wishes. There are wonderful people out there who would be helpful and most of all truthful to you and the country. Let's find one for V.P.

May God bless you, your family and America.

June 4, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  3. Trenton Sims, Los Angeles

HEYY!! WAIT..!

Isn't Hellary ENTITLED TO THE V.P. Slot??

LMAO..:) 🙂 🙂

Yeah a 60 year old Former 1st lady and Senator that behaves like a teenage wanna be Cheerleader that didn't make the squad..

Thank God..! Hillary is no longer a Threat to America & the world..

June 4, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  4. Ryan

In considering your choice for VP, you must consider a candidate who has extensive foreign and or military experience and represents a red state. Also, a candidate who already has name recognition. Some considerable choices would be Bill Richardson, Jim Webb and George Mitchell. We need the most balanced ticket possible.

Ryan
    political science major

June 4, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  5. Voting Obama

Correction!! Hilary did not win. Obama did. I tired of people TRYING to stop Obama from glory!! STOP BEING PREJUDICE AND GROW UP!!
    He does not need HRC to win! He already beat her! PLUS WE DON'T NEED WHINNERS, WE NEED WINNERS.That is why Obama is our nominee. Stop the drama and vote Obama!! All you supporters it is not time to step it up. Obama believes in the same thing Hilary does. If you vote for McCain then you are prejudice and sealing your future. Hope you like paying those gas prices and seeing your children in Iraq dying.

June 4, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  6. Denny, CA

Excellent strategic move by Senator Obama. If this committee can operate without lobbyists and special interest groups, I'm sure an excellent choice will be made. Too bad about Hillary. After such an admirable campaign, I think she is blowing it badly now! Pick someone else, please!!!

June 4, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  7. HillaryISN'Tthechoice

Well, I think last nights display by Hillary showed who she is. It was a historic night, and she should have let the cycle be what had just happened with Obama. She chose not to do that, and chose to make herself or her actions the "story" I voted for her in the primary and caucus...The last bit of support I had for her to be VP went away last night. Anyone but her, she, I fear would not let Obama govern if she was the VP, she would somehow make herself the "story" at every corner...

June 4, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  8. proud army and navy mom

good deal, sen obama, i like the way you take care of business.

June 4, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  9. Quinn

Probably another Kennedy for the White House, wow, that's change. Let's keep the Kennedy dynasty, monarchy, whatever you want to call it going.

It's funny, Obama supporters don't want Hillary on the ticket, but keep saying how she MUST go out and campaign really hard for him to win. They also want her supporters to vote for BO. The Obama group is aslo looking to Hillary's fund raisers for help with the general election.

Obama, the Bush/Cheney energy guy. You can't have your cake & eat it too!

June 4, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  10. John

As a Canadian, I think the idea of Hillary Clinton for VP is a mistake. The best canidate is one that will also represent real change. I like the idea of a female – maybe someone like a Caroline Kennedy – who is young, ploiticallly savy and is a name that is trusted. Imagine what a breath of fresh air these two would be!

June 4, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  11. Chris

I think Obama has already decided it won't be Clinton on the ticket, but is figuring out how to deal with this. It'll be interesting to see how they are going to announce this to her supporters...

And of course it'll be interesting to see who Obama is going to pick. There are some good options out there, my money is on Clark or Bayh although I would also really like to see Richardson on there.

June 4, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  12. Arkansas Undertaker

Please take a HARD LOOK at Hillary Clinton before you make that decision!

OBAMA/CLINTON 2008

June 4, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  13. s.boat

ANYONE BUT CLINTON!

June 4, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  14. Willie McGill@DePaul University

Ms. Kennedy should look to the Sunshine State. The only individual that is able to secure the White House for Senator Obama is Florida's former Governor and U.S. Senator, Bob Graham. When Mr. Bob Graham served Florida, he was well liked. He won his bids for re-election by landslides.

June 4, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  15. dan in VA voter

what about rev J. wright or Pelosi..
    anyway i will vote for John Mccain.

June 4, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  16. A democrat

Let's move on.

June 4, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  17. Mike

Illinois Senator Barack Obama is now "in the promised land" of a victor on the way to a longed-for prize

June 4, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  18. Kayster

Thank God Obama got the nomination...he isn't a Washington insider so he won't be able to do a thing if he wins the Presidency just like Jimmy Carter. Hillary on the other hand had some power and that would have been scary!

Caroline Kennedy, what gives her credentials to help pick a VP? Gimme a break! LOL!!

My family has a lot of electrician in it too but that doesn't mean I know much about wiring a house!!!

June 4, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  19. Greg Atlanta

Folks, Obama made it clear Hillary will have some place or some job in his adminstration last night. Even if he doesn't she will still be in the Senate and be invited to the White House. Stop being stupid the VP doesn't live in the White House. So all this watch your food Obama is foolish. Grow up and realize each have approx 18 million votes each. remember 2000 Gore had 500,000 more votes than Bush and he is not the president. Obama needs Hillary whether you like it or not. What is the problem with a unity ticket other your hate for Hillary?

June 4, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  20. Sophia Beck

It just gets better. This guy is incredible. It is like Christmas for me today- I am dancing on air. I am so so of American right now-I haven't felt like this for a long time. My father is smiling from the heavens-his dream has come true-we have looked beyond color and have looked at being human with a great soul!

I am going to volunteer a week of my time for the next jaunt of this campaign-anywhere he wants me to go-I will go!!!!

GO OBAMA, GO HOPE, GO INTEGRITY, GO DIGNITY, GO GRACE-GO CHANGE, GO FOR PEACE -GO TO WASHINGTON DC.

June 4, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  21. Ed NJ

Thank God they put a woman on that search team. I would have preferred that Pelosi led that team. But a Kennedy...especially a female, is a solid move.

My first choice for VP would be Sebeluis. She has experience managing a whole governmental unit and is very well respected among other governors.

June 4, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  22. Dick in Sioux Falls

To Dee: As to "Who has listened to Jimmy Carter in years."
    This country would have been far better off if they had listened carefully to Jimmy Carter ever since he left olffice. He is a true American statesman who is committed to free and open elections everywhere in the world, and has labored ceaselessly for open and better government and peace in the world.

June 4, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  23. Joel

I am a democrat who voted in Florida for Barack Obama, but was quite upset that our votes never counted due to the rules. However, in the last few months I have watched this all play out, I have switched to a clinton supporter. This is because, Barack Obama has become an arrogant, self serving, and very discriminatory candidate. He and his wife sat in chruch for over 20 years and were married and baptized by a man who is not what I consider to be a christian. Then to defend him, and then to make a political move to leave the church, he is a flip flopping inexperienced candidate, who won't get my vote come general election time. Even if he puts Hillary, the stronger and more qualified of the two on the ticket. One point for John McCain

June 4, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  24. MW in TX

Pick Hagel

June 4, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  25. Cthom

The Democratics will vote (despite what they claim) for Obama....and Hillary will not be on that ticket. She shows herself even now, when defeat is evident by her refusal to concede. She is not a teamplayer, but a team....still hoping for a shot (literally) at the Oval office.

June 4, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |