June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Abby

Congratulations!!!

You did it!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  2. Enlightened Voter - No hillary for VP

Obama is a Harvard educated Constitutional Scholar. He did four years as an Illinois Senator and two years as US senator. Also he gave up a lucrative career to perform community service. He has written and co sponsered hundreds of bills. He also ran a brilliantly run campaign and managed to clinch the nomination as a relatively unknown by working very hard so Stop talking about his lack of so called experience. The ones with 'so called' experience got beat and made bad judgements to boot. BTW, what ever happend to the gas tax holiday?

June 4, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  3. Glenn

The only thing that Hillary cares about is Hillary! It is all about Hillary. She once again showed that she lacks character and integrity to make the critical decision. She showed tonight that this election was about Hillary, not the Democratic Party, not her supporters and certainly not about the country. Hillary is truly pathetic!

June 4, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  4. IT'S FINALLY OVER NOW FOR THE REAL BEGINNING

I LOVE HIM!!!!! YOU CAN'T HELP BUT KEEP IN TUNE WITH IS MESSAGE HE GIVES US HOPE AND BRINGS US INTO THE LIGHT. WE ARE FINALLY EMERGING OUT OF THE DARK AGES. THE TIME IS NOW

YES WE CAN!!!!
    YES WE CAN!!!!
    YES WE CAN!!!!
    YES WE CAN!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  5. Venus

Love it! Way to go Obama!

Last night was great! History in the making!

June 4, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  6. Jaime

Barak Obama is my JKF...

June 4, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  7. OBAMA SUPPORTER IN IOWA

I think Obama could have won this nomination even if he was green with purple polka dots. His personality shines like a much needed beacon for those of us who want things to get better in the USA. He stands head and shoulders, literally and figuratively, above all other candidates. I'm proud to be an American today.

June 4, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  8. kayla

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU MR. OBAMA. MAY GODS' HAND CONTINUE TO BE ON YOUR SHOULDER.

June 4, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  9. Monica for Obama in Indiana

Congratulations President Obama

We are rooting and voting for you

June 4, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  10. Spirit of America

Was/is one of those persons who knocked barriers Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the man Obama threw under the bus for political expediency?

June 4, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  11. Ivar

Way to go Obama ....Dont let this woman Hillary get to you and dont compromise your principles.

June 4, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  12. VA Woman voter

Congratulations Senator Obama.

In one man we see a clear vision for change. Although the road will be long and hard...Surrender to no one because we believe in America!!!

Good luck to Senator Clinton and her supporters.
    God Bless America.

June 4, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  13. IT'S FINALLY OVER NOW FOR THE REAL BEGINNING

I LOVE HIM!!!!! HE GIVES US HOPE I CAN'T HELP BUT TO FEEL A SENSE OF EMERGENCE AND HAPPINESS FOR THE COMING DAYS OF THIS ELECTION. LET'S GET AMERICA BACK ON TRACK ONCE AND FOR ALL.

LET ME HEAR IT

YES WE CAN

SHOUT IT TO THE MOUTAIN TOPS SO THAT OUR VOICES ARE HEARD.

June 4, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  14. william

Now wait till you lose to mccain. The only hope you have is hillary becoming part of your ticket. No kiss up to her and i would do it fast

June 4, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  15. Karen

He is a graceful, humbling human being.
    God bless him!

June 4, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  16. Kaylee

Just a note: It is scary the number of blogs that imply that if Obama wants to see his children grow up, he should not choose HRC as VP.

I agree it is somewhat scary how much HRC wants the presidency.
    Just be careful!!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  17. s

I just can help but tear up every time I hear of the great historic moment. I'm just so happy I got a chance to experience this. 🙂

Obama '08

June 4, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  18. OBAMA SUPPORTER IN IOWA

By the way, I'm a 55 year old white woman from Iowa. My parents (78 and 79) are avid supporters of Obama as well. I wish you would quit saying that older white women have a problem with him. You are not speaking for me or any of my friends and family.

June 4, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  19. Anne

Well said, Mr. Obama....as an African American, I am numb right now. While I expected this to happen I am still in shock that it is fact occurring...Just a few more months to go and it will be even more humbling.

June 4, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  20. arc, Lugano CH

This is the dawn of a new day in the history of this great nation. It's truly an exciting time for the United States-not just for Americans but for all citizens around the globe!

Not even Hillary Clinton nor her hate-filled supporters can ruin this beautiful sunrise.

June 4, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  21. FIRED UP!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS SENATOR OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPE IS HERE TO STAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  22. sheep

Wow I'm still speachless. I had goose bumps all night from the historic event thats about to unfold . East west north south ,,man women children of all colors from all countries witnessed a new begining for not just AMERICA but for all the worlds people who are striving to live in peace ...Your in my prayers as are the people of my country

June 4, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  23. Kareem Rashad From Hampton, Va

Umm Spirit of America,

If you think about it Hillary threw Rev. Wright under the bus too! When Monica was hiding in the closet they called Rev. Wright for prayer and NOW he would've NEVER been her pastor! How about when she threw the entire black race under the bus when she became a latino candidate and basically said that black people are voting for Obama because of his skin AFTER we elected her husband twice! Shall I continue?

June 4, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  24. James

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! MAY GOD GUIDE U THRU AS U LEAD THE WORLD.......AMEN

June 4, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  25. Tim in California

Within minutes we should start hearing the Republican attack machine. They are very afraid of this guy.....he represents everything they are dead set against... such as honesty, integrity accountability, etc.

They don't really have anything on him other than the fact he's Africa-American. Pay attention and note the various codes and such they use to remind whitey.

Did you see the McBush speech last evening.......it was pathetic.

June 4, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |