June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Geri

I just read thru the whole ticker and its all Obama, one on McCain and a couple of references to him in Obama articles. Come on CNN, you did this to Clinton now youre doing it to McCain. Quit being so biased.
    There won't be an uprising if you print all the news fairly.

June 4, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  2. Nisha

Spirit of America-You sound so bitter.

June 4, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  3. United Party

I've followed your campaign diligently for the last 16 months and I must say that you've impressed me with your level of humility, integrity, humbleness, leadership, and your rejection of smearing your opponents......Americans along with the rest of the world is proud of ur accomplishments thus far....you're mid-way in the race to the white house and we'll continue to be behind u alll the way!! Congrats Mr.Obama...it's OUR honour to have u as the nominee to the democratic party!! Much love...

June 4, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  4. St. Louis for Barack

I'm very excited for Barack and all of America. We all need to unite and take back our country. We are all adults, if Hillary won, she would have my support. Furthermore, please cease this vote for McCain nonsense.

June 4, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  5. Arturo

I always dreamed on that historical day the Abraham Lincoln and JFK were nominated to run for the highest honor. I just cannot stop believing that me and my children are part of such a day and I am just hopeful once again that our country and the world will be a better place once again

Go OBAMA '08

June 4, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  6. Derrick

My family and I loves you Mr. President. Thank you for being our voice

June 4, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  7. Illinois Mess

Do the research in Illinois we are one of the worst states financially, along with huge political coruption and yet everyone thinks he is great. Do some research and I think you will be surprised at what you see.

June 4, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  8. Pushpanand

Congratulations.. Barack....Your victory is indeed a testimony for all who want to pursue things with honesty and humility.

God Bless..

June 4, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  9. REAL American for Obama

We WILL do this WITHOUT Hillary OR her supporters! They weren't going to vote for him anyway.

Si se puede!

YES WE CAN!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  10. tedious898

Yes...Marilyn...we echo those sentiments

June 4, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  11. LA

Senator Obama please choose a vp that has been respectful of you and this party. Give Hilliary and Bill some other job.

June 4, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  12. Obama Schmobama

This guy is a joke
    a total quack
    nothing but left wing propaganda

Mcain will be our next pres !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  13. RC

Congrats Barack. Now on the the white house.
    Time to water the dirt instead of the flower.

June 4, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  14. Ben Ngairorue

Africa Congratulates you, Mr. Obama!!

June 4, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  15. Texan for Obama

Congratulations Obama. You are the one for the job and you are up to the job. America is supporting you all the way to DC.

June 4, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  16. A Dem in November

Humility, something that has been completely lacking of the White House for the past 8 years. – What a breath of fresh air.

June 4, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  17. Cindy

What a cool guy. I do believe the Dem Party and it's people picked the right person for the job.

I wonder if Hillary's going to be gracious, or will she keep trying to throw him under the bus?

June 4, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  18. JP DE SMET (Belgium)

Congratulations, Mr Obama.
    Up to the White House
    We expect you to be the 44th President of the United States
    The world needs you
    Thanks for all the hope you bring

JP

June 4, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  19. Ron L

This shows the HUGE difference between Barack and Hillary:

Barack Obama = HUMILITY and How can WE bring the country together
    Hillary Clinton = EGO and What Have yYOU Done for ME Lately?? ..

The TOP 3 Democratic Leaders to have a meeting with Her and TELL HER POINT BLANK!! This election was NOT about HER!! And if she continues on the path she is on there will BE SEROIUS CONSQUENCES THAT SHE WON'T LIKE!! The process has run it's course and she LOST IT!!

June 4, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  20. Shaik

My wife and I watched the pathetic speech by McSame (somebody in his campaign must have told him to smile a lot...very awkward) and then the brilliance of Obama with his electrifying speech. That's who I want to hear and see for the next 4-8 years, not GW term #3.

June 4, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  21. DJ - Texas

"For whoever EXALTS himself will be HUMBLED, and whoever HUMBLES himself will be EXALTED." (Matthew 23:12)

June 4, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  22. Dennis Avgerinos

It is a sad day... how can seventeen million people be so wrong. It amazes me. How they can select an unproven candidate over the experience and judgement that Clinton brings to the table. God help us.

June 4, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  23. joe

I blame Hillary the way she ran her campaign from the beggining. She wasn't for people. The media was doing the job for her. Nonetheless, I am one of the women that was supporting her and she has let us down. I am going to support our nominee now.
    I look forward to President Obama!

June 4, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  24. Latha

FINALLY.

Oh, and go away Hillary! No VP spot for you...go lookin' elsewhere!

June 4, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  25. Good For The Gander

It's time for America to move forward. We must leave generations of hurt, discrimination, and slights behind us. We cannot forget they occurred, but we must be determined that our future will be different. This primary was an enormous step in the right direction, proving that any American, no matter the racial background or gender, can work hard and employ effort and determination to achieve their goals, no matter how high they aspire.

June 4, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |