June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Cheryl in Louisina

Congrats to Obama. I can smell the White House for you and
    your Family. I wish everyone would stop talking about Hillary
    being VP bad idea. The Clinton is a Time Bomb ready to explode. Hillary its over now Obama 08

June 4, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  2. Manuel

Humbled indeed. More Like a you know what eating grin that he, the DNC, and the Media successfully robbed Hillary Clinton of the Candidacy. This man is a racist, a threat to some of our most sacred Constitutional Ammendments, our troops, and he is not acceptable to any Latino's I know, even most of the Illegal ones. In fact, I don't know one of 'mia Jenta' who supports or will vote for this Manchurian candidate, and all the DNC has accomplished is to make sure we all vote for Senator McCain.

He is not now, nor will he ever be a member of my people, my America, much less my President.

June 4, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  3. s.boat

Thank You For Being Truly Humble Mr. President!

June 4, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  4. Kim Johnson of Va.

To: Spirit of America Obama didn't throw Jeremiah Wright thru his self under the bus.

June 4, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  5. 60 year old white female, Mo

Congratulations to You; But no Hillary in the TICKET...!!!

June 4, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  6. Marc in Virginia

Congratulations to the media for getting their man nominated.

June 4, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  7. felicia

I LOVE YOU MAN!!!! WE COULDN'T HAVE ASKED FOR A BETTER NOMINEE. HE IS A WONDERFUL MAN AND I HOPE HE GOES ALL THE WAY!

June 4, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  8. Lucas, Nashville TN

Booking hotel rooms in DC soon!

June 4, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  9. Timothy

Congratulations Barack! You did it/We did it with God's help!

June 4, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  10. here we go

Well looks like another republican will be in office. Didnt any of you americans learned your lesson from 2000?!?!? Thank god it is McCain. He is the best shot we got now.

Nothing against Obama but he is not experienced enough!!

Oh wait, most of the voters for Obama were still in grade school so they are right with him.....

Clinton has treated so unfairly!! But that's what we (women) take and it makes us stronger! So what next??

June 4, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  11. cywbenz

"To Spirit of America",

You need to get your facts straight........Barack Obama did not "throw Jeremiah Wright under the bus", Jeremiah Wright threw his ownself under the bus. All of you that were a part of the lynch mob that was out to disqualify Barack from the race, even after he took up for Jeremiah Wright, defending him because he loves (still love) the man, but just not his methods. It was time for him to distance himself from ANYONE who wants to continue to divide this country and more specifically distort the message of CHANGE Barack truly believes in. Any sensible person would have done the same thing; it's the same as having a friend for many years, who is constantly talking behind your back about you and offering up things your didn't say, nor meant in the way they were being said.

Grow up "Spirit of America". You like alot of folks in this country who want to continue the divide, need to put yourself in Barack's place with the Jeremiah Wright controversy – would you want to be a part of something that continues to divide these "yet to be United States?"

cywbenz of Philly

June 4, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  12. Ding, Washington, DC

Congrats Senator Obama for a remarkable achievement. May God Bless you, your family, supporters, and the United States. You have run one of the most gracious camp ever.

June 4, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  13. Tonie

Dear Senator Obama,the next few months will be the toughest you have ever been through.The Republican Attack Machine is in full force now.The good senator needs each and every one of us to educate our friends,family,co-workers about the expected attack on his religion or lack of it as they put it.His family,race,wearing a lapel pin or not and who he will meet with or without precondition.They will invent,contrive and twist information to create a doubt.He should not be answering every single attack.As his supporters its our duty to direct people to the right information,educate and explain the real issues.This way we all own a piece of the campaign and take back our country from the Republicans.God bless America.
    Obama for President

June 4, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  14. Former Obama Supporter

Humbling? Obama is the most arrogant person I know. He has been claiming victory for how long? Humbling? This is a joke, right?

June 4, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  15. Realistic

To all of those Obamas supporters, I have one thing to say DREAM ON... DREAM ON.. and celebrate that he was the Dem. pick because thats all you'll get comes November. The morons in the DNC don't count. So don't get your hopes to high

June 4, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  16. Oy

No offense Luis, if u don't have anything nice to say then be quiet.Obama is a great guy and I bet he will make a great President someday.

June 4, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  17. Lavella Medford

Congratulations to you, Barack Obama, and everyone who worked so hard, and those who voted for you. Your grace and composure under fire sets an example that has been sorely lacking in political figures for many years. When I heard you speak at the Democratic convention four years ago, your eloquence and authenticity brought tears to my eyes and a hope to my heart for my country that I hadn't experienced since JFK.
    God Bless You in all you endeavor!

June 4, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  18. Morgan

As a Canadian following this election I have to say that there were so many emotions going through me when I watched BO give his speech last night. However I must say my joy and pride was dampened by Hillary Clinton's speech and her treatment of the Democratic nominee for President of the United States of America. Today I am reading the blogs and reading what most Clinton supporters are saying about voting for McCain and I am shocked, appalled and disallusioned. Seeing your military stretched thin, fighting in two wars (one of which is an illegal war), thousands of casualties, the economy, heath care... and the list goes on and on... And these people, mostly women, who say they are Americans, who say they are patriotic are going to vote for McCain out of spite? Or revenge?

I do not understand! I do not understand how out of some misplaced feelings of hatred and disappointment, how you can put yourselves through another 4 years of a Republican President because your candidate of choice didn't win the nomination.

I am astounded that you can hold so much animosity towards someone who has only treated your candidate with respect even when she didn't.

God Bless and Goof Luck!

June 4, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  19. law

Congratulations, Obama!
    You are a good man for this country! It was not an easy campaign...May God continues on your side!
    An Asian American.

June 4, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  20. Rose - Baltimore, MD

You are a humble man and that pays off in the end.

June 4, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  21. Ric

Clinton Democrats for Mc Cain '08

June 4, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  22. Independent

I'm sure all of you Obamites will remember these comments you're making if he and his wife ever make it to the White House. God help us! Judgement must not play a role in your decision-making. Let's wait and see how long you defend this empty suit once you get to know him and his friends better. He only got to that magic number through another lack of good judgement. Donna Brazile is a good example of that – her scolding of ex Governor of Michigan was a disgrace.

June 4, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  23. D. - Pennsylvania

May God continue to bless Obama and His family.

In Obama is a great representation of who Americans are today that are looking for real change.

My prayers are with you and your family.

June 4, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  24. Travis (in the real world)

Maybe Billary should learn something about being HUMBLE.....not in our lifetime...she's too into herself.

June 4, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  25. Ann

You didn't look too humbled Tuesday night. You looked like you knew she can still take it away from you. And she will. Once she goes to the convention. Obama will never bring this party together because 18 million of us do not fall for his charm and empty words. KEEP GOING HILLARY>>>>>WE"LL SEE YOU AT THE CONVENTION!

June 4, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |