June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. John

This is our moment!!! This is our time!!! America shall rise again!!!!

Thank you Barack Obama for leading us out of the wilderness!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  2. Quinn

Congratulations Senator Obama!

Let us take Barack's lead and congratulate Hillary for what she has accomplished. She deserves everyone's respect.

What America has done is making headlines around the world today!

"We are the ones we've been waiting for."

June 4, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  3. NC for Obama

Congratulations! I am proud to be a volunteer in North Carolina. Whatever you do,t DO NOT put Hillary on the ticket as a VP.

June 4, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  4. CSW

Attention CNN - Today is all about Senator Obama. Would you please put HIS picture on your front page instead of the sore loser's.
    Thank you.

June 4, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  5. Barb

I WILL NOT VOTE FOR HIM. I WAS IRATE LAST NIGHT, I COULD NOT BELIEVE THE WAY CNN SPOKE ABOUT HILLARY! THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED! WHAT HAVE THE ANCHORS DONE FOR THIS COUNTRY THAT GIVES THEM THE RIGHT TO DISRESPECT SOMEONE LIKE SEN CLINTON? THE PRESS HAS BEEN IN LOVE WITH OBAMA SINCE THE RACE BEGAN.

THEY BRUSH OFF ANYTHING NEGATIVE ABOUT HIM AND FOCUS HARD ON ANYTHING THAT THEY HAVE ON HILLARY. I AM AN OHIO DEMOCRAT. I DO NOT THINK HE WILL HAVE A CHANCE TO BEAT MCCAIN. THE HILLARY SUPPORTERS WILL NOT GO TO HIM.

NOT VOTING IN 2008!

June 4, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  6. Sam

What? Obama's black? I had not noticed.
    But I like him a lot. Probably get my vote. I think the international community would appreciate someone who has a world view while protecting American interests. He represents the new American – inclusive, transparent, and on a moral high ground....or was that the old American I used to love? Didn't we used to be the good guys?

June 4, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  7. L.A. Teacher

I am at a lost. I never thought i would ever see this day. let alone my grandmother, who remembers sitting at the back of the bus.

Ive been called names, judged negitively, told i would not amount to anything, all cause of the color of my skin.

i cant find the words quite yet.

Thank u America for believing.

WOW...

June 4, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  8. Amy from MIchigan

Congratulations Senator Obama! It would have been nice if Clinton would have acknowledged Obama's historic win last night, but as usual, she's playing games. Senator Obama should enjoy this moment, and give careful consideration to his choice for VP-I hope he is not pressured to choose Clinton, who stands for everything he is against.

June 4, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  9. My Pride Is Showing

CONGRATULATIONS, CONGRATULATIONS, CONGRATULATIONS

God bless the Obama Family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  10. Deep Throat

I think it will be refreshing to have a leader that speaks to the American people like we are adults.. I am so disappointed that in this historic event, Senator Clinton tried to diminish this moment for our country by not acknowledging him as our Democratic Nominee.

May God bless and protect you Senator Obama and I can't wait to vote for you in the General Election!

June 4, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  11. NC for Obama

Congratulations! I am proud to be a volunteer in North Carolina. Whatever you do, DO NOT put Hillary on the ticket as a VP.

June 4, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  12. MJE WPG

As we listened to all 3 speeches last night we couldn't help but notice,
    1)John McCain was talking as if somebody was wispering in his ear telling him at the same time he was speaking what he was to say next in front of his whole audience of what 300 people.
    2)Hillary Clinton could not stop saying "I" as if it is the most important word in the dictionary. I guess in her dictionary it is.In front of her audience of what 600 people.
    3)Barack Obama spoke as though JFK and Martin Luther King had written his speech. He spoke to everyone of the 20,000 people in attendance.
    He thanked every one of his opponets and advisaries something that neither John or Hillary acknowledged.I truly believe that as a proud Canadian there is little doubt as to who should and will be leading the American people after n
    November 2008.
    Congradulations Mr Obama.

June 4, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  13. Eknath Thakur, former senator from India.

This is the greatest day for the living human race. Obama combines in him races, religions, colours, customs, costumes and continents. He is the uniting icon with sound mind and sympathetic heart. America can now once again truely lead the world with Obama as the president. I sang and danced, and danced and sang after hearing the great news. Thank you America.

June 4, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  14. EBC

HEARTFELT Congratulations to President Obama!

We support YOU 150% even when Sen. Clinton can't seem to do the honorable thing and concede. We'll concede for her!

Let's get ready to rumble come November!

John McSHAME get ready, the Obama train is heading your way!

June 4, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  15. Sabrina

Obama should feel humble, he only squeaked over the finish line and with the help the of the media. Even with the media counting her out for mos. she was winning up to the very end, even when she knew the numbers were not in her favor. She deserves the V.P. after every thing she has had to endured.

June 4, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  16. ct voter

Congradulations Mr. Obama. I'm with you all the way! You are a great example for our children all over the world, always humble and polite, thank you so much!

June 4, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  17. Phyllis in Buffalo

To Sean S (1:27 pm)

I couldn't agree more. The only difference between you and me was there was no "almost" for me...the tears flowed. I am so proud today. America has truly come a long way and the world is watching. And by the way, we don't need Senator Clinton. We need change and we are on our way to just that! See everybody in D.C. at the inauguration in January. That's something I wouldn't miss for anything in this world.

YES WE CAN!!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  18. Joe

If God is with you, nobody is going to be against you!!!! When God says "Yes", nobody can say No; even McSame or Billary!!! Congratulations, the whole world loves you. Every where people (from Asia, Europe, America, Africa and Australia) are talking about you.

June 4, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  19. kz

OH please "Spirit of America," HILLARY would throw her own family under the bus if it meant she would take the White House. And I agree, WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO THAT GAS TAX HOLIDAY??

June 4, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  20. johnq

“I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” There is nothing in there, that I see, regarding Obama’s premise that it is a living document to be modified as he or his fellow dems see fit. The founding fathers were for a limited government, a government that was limited, and the freedom of the people. It has been the most successfully experiment in democracy in the history of the world and Mr. Obama, we don’t need you to change it. We need you to protect and defend it if you want the job.

June 4, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  21. Jesse - San Antonio TX

Well, stupid americans just handed another 4 years to the Republicans.

Obama will not win.

June 4, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  22. Canuck

symbolism over substance. did all his great talk fix the south side of chicago? maybe all the latte liberals should start moving there.

June 4, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  23. latone

Obama,

anyone with a kind and open spirit can see the authenticity and sincerity in what you say and do. Its not the message that people oppose, unfortunately its the messenger. Keep proving them wrong. When you humble yourself God will exalt you, when you exalt yourself, you will be humbled. Stay humble and focused. You will be our next President of the United States of America

June 4, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  24. Roxanne

Beautiful! Congratulations, Senator! I was in awe last night to be able to witness one of the most historic events in my lifetime. Yes, I will be able to tell my great-grandchildren of how the sea of change swept across our country and our world on that day. God be with you as you guide us to a new direction.

June 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  25. Una in Antioch California

Congratulations!!!!!! Senator Obama, and next it will be Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mr. President Obama.........We are behind you. May God Keeping Blessing You.

June 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |