June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Paul

Total pwn. Obama is the man. Congrats!

June 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. Scott

The Democratic campaign, as far as I am concerned was pretty much a farce. They knew who they were going to elect and the superdelegates did.

What really annoyed me during the whole campaign was: White voters were always asked if they would vote for Obama. When they said no, an immediate racial bias was placed on that person. Were black voters interviewed? In several cases, Obama won 75%+ of the black vote. Doesn't anyone besides me think that smacks of just a little racism? The media either doesn't think anyone other than white people can be racist or they won't cover it because it would open a can of worms.

Regardless of how PC we try to make this campaign, there will always be the smack of racism involved in one way or the other. Why? Because one of the candidates happens to be a black gentleman.

I am white. I admit it. I won't vote for Obama. I am planning on voting for McCain. The reason I won't vote for Obama is simple. He could win my vote if he did one thing. In my opinion, having pride in your heritage and culture is a wonderful thing. But saying you are an Afican American, when no one else says they are an Irish American, German American, Japanese American, bring up racial overtones in my book.

All Obama has to do to win my vote is say: I am an American. That's it. But he won't. He will always say he's an African American. I am not going to vote for someone who always puts something in front of being an American. And by calling himself an African American, he is making his race more important than the country he is living in.

June 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  3. Desmond Sequeira

It is especially great to note the millions of non-Black Americans who "listened, not to your fears and your doubts, but to your greatest hopes for the future". The Democratic party, led by the likes of Ted Kennedy and Jimmy Carter, has finally come of age. Now, I am sure, the rest of America is not far behind. Only together we can deliver.

From: World citizen, not black, not white, just concerned about Justice and Peace in the USA and in the world.

June 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  4. Angel for Obama

Congrads to Sen Obama & the Obama Camp we knew you could bring the message of change to the American people. Now it's on to defeating John Mcain in the general election. I should be at the Obama rally tommrow @ Nissan pavillion in VA and look fwd to it. 'YES WE CAN"

"Obama 08 enough said."

June 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  5. Sidney in Dallas

Barack you are the man!!! I can't wait till November, it's going to great.

June 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  6. Carl

That's right man, you are worth more than 3/5th of a vote to me. You truly are an inspiration to blacks and whites alike makings us see that the American Dream is still a real possibility and that this country might once again get back on the right track.

I really look forward to all the good you might do for this Country and make me again proud to have been born in the US.

Keep my dreams of a great America alive, Obama.

June 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  7. ChangeWeCan'tAfford

And so begins the darkest period in American history, perhaps the end. There is nothing humble about Barack Hussein Obama, he is a professional self-promoter.

June 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  8. denford77 in Indiana

To Spirit of America–
    Is distancing yourself from an obvious zealot really throwing that person "under the bus?" Rev. Wright continually said things and made comments apparently just to hear himself talk, regardless of the implications of what he said and the impact those comments would have. Why do I say he is a zealot? Anyone that truly believed that the AIDS virus was introduced into American society (black or white!) by the US Government should have his or her picture posted in the dictionary next to the word ZEALOT!!!

June 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  9. Sue

He should be humbled. If he can think ahead, he knows he can't perform the duties of president any more than he could the duties of Chicago alderman or US senator.

June 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  10. s.boat

You Are A Living Example Of The American Dream! God Bless You Mr. President!

June 4, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  11. Canadians for Obama

As the USA does, the world follows (generally). I can now say, I am one step closer to admiring the USA once again.

June 4, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  12. Val

Obama's tax policies are very troubling. As he seems very focused on redistribution of the tax burden, the next thing he'll come up with is the redistribution of our income. And what's up with his 20% to 28% capital gains tax increase? I don't think it's good for our economy.

Another thought. Obama will not be able to unite our country because he is way too far to the left (#2 liberal Senator in the US Congress – that's says a lot). If Obama is elected president our country will become even more polarized than it is right now. Just like under Bush, who is leaning more to the right, and look what happend with our nation. That is why, in my opinion, we need "maverick" McCain to unite America.

June 4, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  13. eu

congratulations to his wish, he worked tough and rough to get it, so why is he humble now? He was not when running.

Why we have to be reminded all the time what we have now and what people did or did not have centuries ago? What is the point to look back all the time? I think enough was already said, whined about. Now it is to go forward, to think about economy, health insurance, education, global issues, global warming.

His campaign was nasty at times, his supporters were the nasties people on the blogs and out. So why this glory?
    Why this constant glorifications?

He is half white, half black, so how it is determined what he is? He is not pure African American, he is not pure white. How people of mix are called -is there any word/term for it? Just curious.

We want and need to see the results if he will be elected. So far all is just words and promises, I want to see them fulfilled. I want to see the racism to be gone = erased, I want to see discrimination of any kind to vanish, I want to see people to do well, the poverty to be gone, I want peace in the world.
    Is all this possible ?

June 4, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  14. charles

it is truly humbling and l too say congratulations and hope you still have the energy to carry on the hard work. good luck. thank you all America.

June 4, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  15. Martha, Georgia

CONGRATS TO THE NEW PRESIDENT!!!!
    Now, let's help him choose a VP that shares the same ideas as the Pres. Obama. Not have some divisive itch that is self-serving, egotistical and evil.

June 4, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  16. Anthony in Texas

Congrats Obama! Please do NOT pick Clinton as your VP, maybe Sec. of State.....that's it. Congrats again and we are all looking forward to CHANGE!!!

June 4, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  17. I eat turkey in Iowa

It's hard to not feel good about the future and America when you listen to the guy. I really hope people put aside their bitterness and get behind him. He knows he needs to fill his cabinet with people that have more experience in different areas than him. That's why I never bought the "more experienced candidate" line. Obama and his vision of unity and change will be the face of America...people behind the scenes help with the experience part. Our country has never had it's decisions made by one person.

June 4, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  18. B. Churchill

Barak around the clock! God Bless Obama! God bless America!

June 4, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  19. Chris

As a 50+ White Professional Female American, I am pleased to say "CONGRATS OBAMA!"

I disagree with the perception he limped across the finish line...the last month Obama has given Hillary Clinton as much freedom as possible....which gave her larger victories than she probably would have obtained if primaries where hotly contested.

He allowed her have her time in the sun, (knowing it would not cost him the election).

Unfortunately, Clinton is not as gracious. She did not have to acknowledge defeat, but should have acknowledge his win.

June 4, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  20. Kenneth M

GO OBAMA! KEEP YOUR DUKES UP. CLINTON IS NOT GIVING UP YET.

June 4, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  21. FRJM

There is hope for America as he represents the youth and the future. Now let's have the rest of the party quickly move behind him and start promoting a strong Democratic leader with a firm political agenda ready to square off with the Reublicans.

Hillary get in line, please.

June 4, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  22. HavingFun

Obama is magnanimous !! Hillary could've just straight talked yesterday night and said 'Congratulations to Senator Obama on becoming the presumptive nominee..I will work with him, unite the party and let's beat McCain in the GE'.........Didn't hear any of that.....Instead she was still raving and ranting nonsense by repeating that she got 18 M votes etc......and Lanny Davis is another big piece of Joke....I was watching him on Larry King yesterday night.....he looked so pathetic.....One thing Clinton and her Campaign doesn't know at all, is how to accept defeat gracefully..

Come on...hasn't she seen it coming in the last month or so...weren't she prepared to immediately give out a quick and tidy conceding speech....that shows her readiness

June 4, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  23. David in Chicago

YAY!! It's time for change!! Please don't let us down!

June 4, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  24. Nadine

Congratulations Senator Obama! Stay humble, God will see you through. If Hillary Clinton wants respect, she gotta give respect. Obama extended the Olive branch, be a real sport and be humble. God does not like pride. Pride and arrogance will take you down. And tha's a fact!!!

June 4, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  25. JennyforObama08

MY SINCEREST CONGRATULATIONS TO BARACK OBAMA!!!!!! YOU DID IT!!!! I look forward to watching and supporting your general election campaign!

If only Hillary would concede and endorse him.....the longer she waits, the worse it's going to look on her. Narcissism as its best.

June 4, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |