June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. noemi of reason, latina for obama!

Please go to HillaryClinton.com. You will see a tiny form to fill out...

Send her a message to step down...

..Ask her to put our Country first..our Democratic values first...

...Remind her that the "Dream Ticket" is impossible because of her primaries anti-Obama rhetoric....

...Let her know we don't want her as our Veep...

Thanks.

Obama-Richardson 2008

June 4, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  2. Cmitch, FW TX

Congratulations, may God give clear direction & guidance as you continue in your presidential race.

June 4, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  3. Alexandra

Love you Obama.
    Do not choose Hillary as VP no matter what!
    Obama/anybody bit Billary '08

June 4, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  4. Shakur

I think Sen. Obama came at the right place at the right time when this country needed a fresh perspective and new direction. Kudos to all those people who gave him a chance and listened to his message and didn't worry about the color of his skin.

Have you noticed the sentiment around the world of the prospect of an Obama Presidency? People are excited!

June 4, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  5. kc

I am just happy, happy, happy. Congratulations, Obama..

Yes We Can!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  6. BCooke

My six year old asked me last night..."How do I become President of the United States Of America?" Not CAN I, but HOW do I! I simply said,,,,with tears,,,,hard work and determination, you can be the First African American/Latina Women President.

June 4, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  7. joerge_loves_time_square

AMERICA CAN FINALLY GET A FACELIFT, SHE WILL ONCE AGAIN BE BEAUTIFUL AROUND THE WORLD. SHE WILL BE SHOWERED WITH HONOR AND RESPECT, ONCE HE IS PRESIDENT.

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE OBAMA FAMILY.

June 4, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  8. Michelle from Colorado

You should have been humbled by all the people who did not and will not vote for you in November. You don't have what it takes to lead us out of this wasteland. You will be humbled either by losing in November or being a miserable failure right there with George W. Bush and Jimmy Carter. Although, I say Carter is a wise and relevent diplomat. You may get there in about 25 years.

June 4, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  9. ed

good job,god bless america

June 4, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  10. Laura Kate Baker

Dear Senator Obama:

I am so happy you won the nomination!! Please don't let off the gas until you win the White House in November. I join the others in praying continually for God to give you wisdom and perserverence thru the end of the election. It is your intelligence,common sense and humility that make you the best person for the job! I will be doing the dance of joy when you are sworn in as President of the United States!!

June 4, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  11. Jessica in IL

YES WE CAN!!!

June 4, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  12. jorge_loves_times_square

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE OBAMA FAMILY

June 4, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  13. Chyrel Wallace-Jackson

I'm honored to have you as our Democratic nominee.

June 4, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  14. Jacksonville, Fl

Sen. Obama please don't let Hillary bully you into giving her the VP. You know she is going to want to rewrite the responsibilities of a VP. Instead of you making the changes you want you will be butting heads with her. You ran a good race and came out on top. You were gracious in victory and she was not in her loss. Just don't do it.

We support you all the way!

June 4, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  15. BREAKING NEWS:

Gosh, if I could have been a fly on the wall during that meeting. Do ya think she cried?

June 4, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  16. kravitz

History will consider this a bright moment in a year of recession, forclosure, war, failures. This is the moment America got its mojo back after years of Bush-Cheney-Rove-McCain ruin and despair. History will also not look back kindly on Clinton moving the goalposts when she did not win every time she lost. Foreign leaders seem puzled by her lack of concession – why would they want to deal with someone who insists on changing the agreement after it has been made. They see Obama as credible, a leader they want to do the world's business with.

And maybe try some hoops too.

June 4, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  17. ANGIE

congratulations senator obama i new you could do it i had faith in you all along inspite of all the false ugly rumors about you thats why i supported you because of you we made history last night and it will be because of you when you become president the world will be a better place we will be welcoming you MR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES GOD BLESS YOU AND GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  18. Ashton

PLEASE SOMEONE TELL MR. OBAMA NOT TO GIVE HILLARY ANY VP TICKET. SHE WAS NOT SOPPOSE TO DEMAND IT AND OBAMA IS NOT DESPERATE LIKE HER. OBAMA IS NOT POWER HUNGRY.THERE ARE LOT OF SUITABLE CANDIDATES FOR THE VP POSITION. PLEASE PLEASE. THANKS

June 4, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  19. katiec

This is a great period of American history.
    But, the man being black had absolutely nothing to do
    with his winning. He was the nominee with integrity,
    sincereity and honesty. He did not bow to dirty politics,
    He ignored the distortions, accusations thrown at him
    by his opponent. He did not dwell on or campaign on her
    many shortcomings.
    Am so excited, but certainly do not want Hillary for VP.
    How could he ever trust her??

June 4, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  20. Superdelegate

Spirit of America, old news, find something worth venting about.

June 4, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  21. CLEAN HEARTED AND PURE FLORIDIAN

Sean S. I second that. I was at home clapping with tears in my eyes. God Bless Obama. Congratulations on a job well done.

June 4, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  22. Dinesh

And to the people who say he has a huge ego...

For the first time in my somewhat short life, I'm REALLY proud of my country.

June 4, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  23. Jon CA

Congratulations Obama!!! You know, they said this day would never come. They said our sights were set too high. They said this country was too divided, too disillusioned to ever come together around a common purpose.

But on this day in June at this defining moment in history, you have done what the cynics said we couldn't do.

History in the making Barack Obama for president!!!

June 4, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  24. ObamaRican

I am completely overwhelmed by this development. I am a Vietnam Era veteran of the USAF and for the first time in my adult life I AM REALLY PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN! I say that with the memories of JFK, MLK, and RFK still lingering and stirring my emotions. As a Puerto Rican with African lineage, I feel a sense of personal gratification that I can now sub-consciously walk with my head high and proud that our great nation has a chance to prove that we truly are a nation of immigrants and that neither color, race, nor religion, bear on our collective future prosperity. I am glad to be alive during this great historic moment. God bless America, it's people, and it's future President Barack Hussein Obama.

Que Dios Los Bendiga A Todos!

June 4, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  25. Democrat in 08!

Congraluations I've been watching since January and am very proud of you Obama.

June 4, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |