June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. papu, canada

The whole world will look up to you as the great president of America.
    It is about time. You are a generational world leader.

June 4, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  2. obamafan

I AM NOW PROUD OF OUR COUNTRY

June 4, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  3. Congrats Obama

Obmaaaaaaaaaa yesterday watching your speech I was so emotional you inspire us you are the best congratsssss OBAMA and please one more thing Obama pleaseeeeeeeeee if you really really truly care about the American people do not make the biggest mistake by putting Hillary as your VP pleaseeeeeeeee don't.

June 4, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  4. Tim in Canada

And theYoung Lion roared like thunder last night and most creatures understood that he was born to lead but some have yet to acknowledge that he is the Lion King especially the old one (Bill).

It is what it is, so let it be.

June 4, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  5. 1 of The 17 Plus Million Who Voted For Obama

Thank you for doing your part to bring humanity and humility back to the political arena. God Bless.

June 4, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  6. Marlon Young

I voted for Hillary due to her experience (and her husband's). I did not see color, as you see; because I am a "very dark" black male from South Los Angeles! Now that he has won, I will support him and take faith in his seemingly sincere claims for change. Congratulations, Obama!

June 4, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  7. Terri for Obama

Congratulations Obama!!!!!!!!!!! God bless you!

A great moment in history!

June 4, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  8. WOMAN THAT BELIEVES HILLARY IS A PARTY SPOILER!

Obama is always so very gracous unlike Hillary Rotten Clinton!

Obama we are so very proud of you and all that you stand for, keep up the unifing work. Obama something else you should always keep in mind we Independents and dissatified Rupublicans got your back, we will replace the Hillary supporters that insist on following their lying, conniving, backbiting, divisive leader, let them all go on their way do not allow them to strongarm or hold you highhacked with their demands when they really have no leveage to do so.

We really do not need them, if they insist on suffering through four years of McCain then so be, but they need to be the first to offer up their son and daughters in the wars and drafts that is sure to come, they also need to take full responsiblity for the deaths of ALL the brave souls that have already died and is sure to die. When they vote for McCain they are voting in agreement with this war and the others to come therefore they are held responsible because McCain has warned them before their vote. Let the blood of all be on their heads!
    But do not allow them to force their way on us, put Hillary somewhere on the ticket where we will not have to be constantly reminded she's there, but do not give in to her. We trust her even less after last night and you had better have even less trust for her than we do, if that's possible.

June 4, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  9. Sehli

I knew he was going to be President, when I first heard him speak at the Democratic Convention in 2004. God is Helping America!!!

June 4, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  10. Texas

Congratulations Senator Obama!!!!!. You are so refreshing. YES WE CAN!!!! YES WE CAN!!!

June 4, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  11. Marcey Huddleston

Congratulations Senator Obama. I am giving honor where honor is due. As you continue your journey to the White House keep these Scripturesin your heart: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Phil. 4:13) and "I am more than a conqueror though Him who loved us." (Romans 8:37)

Marcey Huddleston
    Marietta, GA

June 4, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  12. Vy, California

We ALL are very proud of you senator

We beg you, PLEASE DO NOT TAKE HILLARY CLINTON AS YOUR RUNNING MATE!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  13. Billiebob

Great!!!! Whatever Barack does from now on.should not include Hillery and Billery...Pick a VP who will enhance your election

June 4, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  14. Black Veteran For Obama

Congratulations Senator Obama; behind you all the way!!!!!

AMERICA UNITE!!!!!!

YES WE CAN!!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  15. shirley

Senator Obama I am looking forward to voting for you in November, Hillary does not need to be on your ticket to win. I think you will do better without her.

June 4, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  16. Monica

I just wanted to make a comment to CNN. When I came to your website this morning to check out the news on the nomination, there was a big picture of Hillary on the home page. What?
    I guess I expected a "history" headline. Instead I got "what will she do next?" Why do you insist on trying to predict the news instead of reporting it? History was made yesterday for Barack Obama, if it is made in Nov. is obviously yet to be seen and right now I could care less what she plans to do next. Don't turn CNN news into the tabloid channel like fox. Hillary will figure out what is next in her time and then it shall be news.

June 4, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  17. A Dore

Yes he can. I can't vote, being on the "other" side of the border, but I favor Barack Obama, because he can inspire your nation. He is a great man except for one thing though I do not like from him... It is his unconditional support for Israel. Israel has been dictating US their foreign policy for too long. According to what I have seen this morning on TV at the pro-Israel conference, B.O. is already been facing the reality of a strong Israel lobby...!!! But, nevertheless, he is still the best individual to be your President.

June 4, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  18. Billiebob

Congrats Barack...go for it,we need you.

June 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  19. God Bless President Obama!

Congratulations President Obama!

Now on to the general election.

Yes we can! (and without HRC weighting us down)

Obama 08 & 12

June 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  20. Rethink

Actually everyone keeps saying Hillary is all about Hillary. If you've ever gone her website blogs you'd see Hillary is all about her supporters.

However, there is a big problem with that. Her supporters on her website are delusional at best. Making up of mostly bitter women who CLAIM ONLY THEY have been ignored throughout history. They dismiss racism as Iran dismisses the holocaust. They claim the treatment of women, has been 10 fold to the days of black slavery. Basically, in their eyes they've always and will always have it the worst of any group.

Needless to say many of these women are feminist, some but only a select group are fema-nazi like pundits. These so called "Fema-Nazis" loath men and everything about them with no moral reasons to do so, or because one man, maybe their father did something horrible to them. This simply sounds like bigotry to me.

It's ashame they guide their lives with sinister hate. After all, I've never looked down to a woman and should not be looked down upon by woman. Once again, another group seeks to divide for their own personal revengeful reasons. Besides, what do women think Hillary will do for them. I will bet my last dollar you will not be treated any better just because a woman is President. This seems to be what some (but very few) of these women think. That they will rule over men and control them. However, I will tell you this, you will have to kill me before anyone on this planet rules over me. So I think not!!

The bottom line is they are misguided. Sen. Clinton to no fault of her own has attracted a feminist hate machine to her side. Now she has to find a way (for the better of the country) to convince these individuals that Sen. Obama is better then Sen. McCain. (Note: these feminist would rather put our country in a hole 10x worst with McCain out of revenge for Obama, THERE WORDS ON CLINTON'S BLOG) If Sen. Clinton had conceding last night this would have done nothing but angered them further. She is stuck between a rock and a hard spot, and she needs to be very careful onto how she proceeds. The fact is, if Obama doesn't win because of a hateful clan of feminist Sen. Clinton's hopes of winning the election in 2012 is nil. She will be unjustifiably blamed and their will be a target on her back from the first primary.

Think about it, the truth just sometimes hurts... BAD!

June 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  21. This is Barack's Time! This is Our Time!

Yes we did!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  22. Stacy

Today is a great day !

June 4, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  23. Paul Warman

Hey Clinton News Network:

Put a fork in it, Clinton is done.

Put Obama on your home page

Be "Fair and Balanced"

June 4, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  24. White small town for Obama !!

Congratulations OBama as a white person I'm so proud of you and your achievement, my town will always be on your side we are a small town full of white intelligent women , who wants hope and change not only for us but for our kids and grandkids...

We love you !!

June 4, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  25. Seattlites for Obama 08'

I am proud of the American public for making this happen. If you didn't and don't want to vote for him then don't be that person that reeps the rewards of what he will bring to this country. GOD BLESS YOU MR. PRESIDENT!!!!! You are truly a figure of whom I would like to see my children grow up under. Thank you so much.....

June 4, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |