June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. JOANN

CONGRADULATIONS SENATOR OBAMA....MAY GOD BLESS AND PROTECT YOU AND GIVE YOU WISDOM AND GUIDANCE.....

AND CONGRADULATIONS TO SOON TO BE FIRST LADY..MICHELLE OBAMA AND TO THE FIRST CHILDREN...

A BEAUTIFUL FAMILY....GOD BLESS....

June 4, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  2. c

john mccain is deaf to the people of america when it come to whether or not americans have a say in the war even though he says he answers to the people not the press,..and also.the press is a important part of the community..its people reporting to people whats going on in their world...john mccain measure the success in in iraq by combative strength not by political independence..john mccain trys to shadow his major role he has played in the bush administration with small talk..

June 4, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  3. Arin

Congratulations Senator Obama!!!
    Yes we can, yes you did, and yes you will.

June 4, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  4. Eric P

Congratulations Obama you embody all that is good about our country and what it can become. You have reminded us of what makes us uniquely Americans and have so admirably represented us, lifting us above our differences in unity like never seen before. You are just the beacon to world this county needs at time when our image abroad has been tarnished. I commend you and thank you for honoring our country in such way that all Americans Black, White, Male, Female, Young, Old can be proud, inspired and most importantly have hope again!

Blessings.

June 4, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  5. Pushpanand

Congratulations.. Barack….Your victory is indeed a testimony for all who want to pursue things with honesty and humility.

God Bless..

June 4, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  6. Frank H

Congratulations.. You have made us pround and we are looking forward to making history in Nov!

June 4, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  7. tina, nc

Congratulations Obama!!!!
    I am so proud to be a supporter! I will work my heart out to see that you are the next President of the United States.
    Hillary will not bully her way onto the ticket. Not this time, Not this election!

Obama/ Anyone but Clinton '08

June 4, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  8. Doug, SD

Congrats President Obama. I like the sound of that

June 4, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  9. EZV,ARIZONA

Sen. Obama
    Should you make it to the oval office. I sincerely hope you work as hard to keep your promises to the American people.
    May God bless you and bless America.

June 4, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  10. Rebecc Baleisis

I am an
    OBAMA MOMMA

As a white middle age woman, I am beeming with pride for Barack and for our country.

June 4, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  11. Mary

Congratuations Senator Obama!!!

You and your family have my gratitude for your service to our country - I am filled with hope for what this country can become under your leadership.

June 4, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  12. Ryan Indianapolis,IN

BLAH BLAH BLAH,,,,,stop playing this game, its like if I dont vote for him then I am racist or so the liberal media would make you think. Sorry I think he is a good man, but I believe he is naive and a little decietful. The man attended a church for 20yrs under a preacher that believes in BLACK POWER. Lets examine that for a minute what if John McCain attended a church of only whites and the preacher talked about White Power? I know this does not represent the total man but the company you keep and the people you keep close to you says alot about your character and judgement. And that is what Obama is running on. He is saying my judgement and wisdom is better than the other guys. Dont get me wrong Obama is intelligent and articulate but he is DEAD wrong on alot of the issues that are facing this country. Who cares how we got there but the Iraq issue is very puzzling to me. We have finally turned the tide, this is real progress and Obama is saying no matter what the conditions are on the ground we are pulling out. Senator Obama we are winning and you must be a visionary and look at the big picture. A good and stable Iraq will not only benefit the people of Iraq but of the whole middle east and our country as well. I am not a huge McCain guy and I would love to vote for Obama but he is not ready and Do not trust the Democratic party at this time. We need tough people making tough decisions and my gut is telling me that the democrats are not up to this challenge. As much as there is wrong with GW and all his faults, he made tough decisions and stuck it out and now it looks like the tough decisions will benefit us for the years to come, with Democracy spreading in the middle east. Sorry Dems but history will be kind to GW and not to the weak and unproductive US CONGRESS.

June 4, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  13. TEXAS TRAIL DOG

VERY HUMBLING, RIGHT? We know big ears how humbling you and you supporters are. They can't quit downing Hillary. She is not a candidate anymore, idiots. So stop throwing crap at her. YOU KNOW OBAMA BACKED INTO THE NOMINATION. HE IS NOT DESERVING OF BEING PRESIDENT AND HE WILL NOT BE. You keep saying all those states he won. BULLCRAP. 16 States were cacuses States. Only 3% of the population get counted. He didn't win those states he was given those states because the DEAN-PELOSI led DNC wanted it that way along with CNN.

CNN COME ON GET WITH THE PROGRAM THERE IS SOME BETTER NEWS THAN THIS. I KNOW YOU ARE OWNED BY TED TURNER BUT FOR GOSH SAKES DO SOME FAIR REPORTING. GIVE SOME EQUAL TIME TO JOHN McCAIN.

You succeeded with the help of the Republican party in Florida of keeping HILLARY out, so now I GUESS you're attacking JOHN McCAIN now. Well this time, attack away. We Hillary supporters are not going to unite behind Obama even if she gets on the ticket which I pray she has better sense than that. McCAIN 08

June 4, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  14. tim CA

Ahhh yes,

This man who sat in Trinity Episcopal for 20 years listening to the garbage that spilled out into the aisles...this man who considers the
    most divisive, small minds in this country his "mentors" and "friends",
    this man who pretends he lived in ignorance of their self-indulgent ravings, will lead you all "into the light".

Sure he will.

June 4, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  15. Jose - Texas

Congratulations to Obama.

Now that you are on your way to making historical change, do not make the mistake by selecting Hillary as your VP. That is not change and more of the old, which you have been promoting. Select someone with your vision, values and take hold of the challenges of the future.

June 4, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  16. Sandy

All I can say is Thank You Obama for running, my Son will turn 18 and the first ever vote He will vote Obama and He is so proud to be a part of history. I would have gladly voted for Hillary until I got to know the kind Man you are and where you came from. I would be honored to call you Mr. President.

June 4, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  17. American Girl

Mr. President, we are honored that you will be the leader to represent our great nation.

Do not select Hillary Clinton or Bill Clinton for any post in your cabinet. This blackmail approach of Hillary and Bill is very similar to George W. Bush's approach to dealing with people he fees owes him or should feel indebted to him.

Barack needs a strong senior and experienced leader like Sam Nunn from Georgia to round out his ticket.

Once again, congratulations!

June 4, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  18. Carly

Humbling? This, from the most arrogant candidate in memory? Puh-leeze!!

June 4, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  19. fec

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  20. Agent of Change from FL

YES WE CAN!!

OBAMA '08

MAY GOD TRULY BLESS YOU

08= NEW BEGINNINGS

THIS IS YOUR YEAR OBAMA!

CNN POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  21. A.J.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids — 7, 8, 9 years old — take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president,"

Perhaps we should learn from the children. I know Obama made history last night but I do not see him as a black candidate for president I see him as an American presidential candidate as well as the best candidate for the Job.

June 4, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  22. Jessica, MI

simply awesome. It brings chills to me that a little African American boy can now be told (and believe) that he really can be ANYTHING.

Now the real test begins. We're about to see just how ignorant/racist/stupid our country still is....

June 4, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  23. Amy

Barack means blessed and we are blessed to have him running for President.
    He has my support !
    Last night had me in tears.
    I am so proud !

June 4, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  24. Hillary Supporter

As much as I wanted Hillary, because of party unity I am behind Obama 100%.

June 4, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  25. DC is Waiting for Obama!

CONGRATULATIONS Senator Obama! You are rewriting American history! DC can't wait for you to move in to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue!!! We are praying God's strength and protection for you and your family. YES WE CAN!!! SI SE PUEDE!!!

June 4, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |