June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Linda

Obama will be an American President who happens to be black. He is for all people because he is bi-racial (white mother and Kenya father).

I feel in my heart that John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King Jr and Bobby Kennedy did not die in vain. They were killed in trying to unify this country and prove that we all can live in harmony if we choose. Many more African Americans also struggled for the cause of fairness for all people as many white people helped blacks in their struggles.

I am so glad Obama reached the younger people who will not carry all this negative baggage around and see people for their character and not the color of their skin.

Congratulations Senator Obama – a man of honor.

June 4, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  2. Leroy Sturdivant

Last night while hearing his speech a tear rolled dowm my face because I'm one of millions that can say 20-30 years from now that they witness history. My only wish is that Martin Luther King was still alive so he could have seen his DREAM come true.

THIS IS A PROUD DAY TO BE AN AMERICAN.

June 4, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  3. MD

I was totally moved by his speech. i was totally in the moment.

I think the enormity of the situation was maginfied by the fact that a mere 600 people went to listen to McCane make a juvenile fool of himself, and 37,000 people showed up to be a part of a proud moment in the history of this country.

As a white male, I must say that I feel we as a people have been vindicated, and that makes me proud to be an American.

June 4, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  4. Ben in Texas

CONGRATULATIONS, MR. PRESIDENT!!!

June 4, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  5. Herbert J. Riley

Today the world woke up and saw America though new eyes . They saw not only America's superior military might. They saw not only America's rightful leadership in the global war against terrorism. They saw the world's most power nation nominate a Black man with a funny sounding name (although that man is as much kin to the White as he is to the Black) to be the democratic nominee for President of the United States. The world that has demeaned and demonized America is in a state of "shock and awe". The nations of the world are compelled to see the American people and system through awestruck and admirable eyes for they see the proof that although there may be social, economic, racial, and historical problems in this great nation, the American system works in it's own time. It doesn't matter whether you are Republican, Democrat, or other. It doesn't matter if you support Obama or McCain, Huckelbee, or Hillary. What does matter is that you are a member of the greatest nation on earth. You are an American and to paraphrase another American with a funny sounding name, today America "Shook Up The World"
    --Herbert J. Riley
    --Myrtle Beach SC

June 4, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  6. Anna

We love you Obama, we want to see America as no. 1 in the world and lead. You are the only hope and may god bless you.

June 4, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  7. Lou Ann

Our God is an Awesome God! Senator Obama stay focus and humble and run your race. In the Bible the book of Habakkuk. 2:2 says to write the vision down make it plan. Keep your vision in veiw. We will continue to pray for you and your family. We love you Michelle and the girls. Thanks for all you have done and is going to do!

June 4, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  8. GARY

OBAMA-WON
    BILLARY-LOST
    GAME OVER!!

June 4, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  9. Queen Hillary

Time to put the VANITY away Hillary. Barack is on his way.

June 4, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  10. Lee W. in Raleigh, NC

I am THRILLED. Congratulations, and now let's take you the rest of the way to the White House!

June 4, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  11. mjc

jeez, it must take a lot to humble a man who has written two autobiographies at age 46.

blah blah blah to him.

June 4, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  12. Don in Florida

As an African American supporter of Barak Obama, I am proud at the way he ran his campaign. He ran it with integrity & honesty and even if he loses to McCain in the fall I will be proud of the fact that I voted for him.

June 4, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  13. gary

For the past few months I have been reading over the comments being made from all three sides. I was never a very political person, I just voted for the person I truly thought would be best for the country. My country, the one I enlisted to serve in 1974. At that time it was not a very popular thing to do as many of you will remember. But after watching the protests, riots, the deaths of so many people in this country, students becoming active in the way this country was being run, the lies, the truths, and everything else that I was being exposed to, I elected to serve my country. Like the countless Americans that had made this choice before me and many more brave souls to go after, I did this because I believed in what this country stood for, what so many before me had died for, men and women of all races and nationalities, exactly what many are putting their lives at risk for right now. Dispite what you may think, this was all done for you. This is America people let's act like it. Stop making idle, insulting threats to each other. It does not serve the Greater Good.
    A terrible wrong has been done to this country by the people we put in charge to protect it. It's time to make a change people. Wake up!!!!
    If we don't do what should have been done 4 years ago for the good of our country, then.............................WHY ARE WE HERE???????

June 4, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  14. Susan

I am a proud American today! Congratulations President to be Barack Obama. Congratulations to Michelle and their daughters. I am 52 and have never been so excited to vote in my life!!!

June 4, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  15. Vi

Congrads Obama...America has come a long way. I can't stop smiling!

June 4, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  16. Don in Florida

To Obama Nation; Please treat Clinton Nation with all due respect. we need them to help us re take the white house. It does none of us any good if McCain wins so let's be civil.

To Clinton Nation; Please accept the fact that there can only be one winner and that winner is Obama. If you don't like that fact you have the right to jump to McCain at your discretion. Telling us on the blogs that you will vote for McCain will not influence us to switch our allegiance to your candidate. But before you change to McCain make sure you listen to your candidate because i'm pretty sure she's not going to tell you to vote for McCain.

June 4, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  17. Anette

Congratulations!! Great campaign, looking forward to your future leadership which I hope will be as the next president of United States of America.

Please don't pick Hillary as running mate, please please.

June 4, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  18. HavingFun

Just shut up, Carly

June 4, 2008 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  19. stephen, Dallas

Unbelieveable!!!! A man of integrity. He supports everyone!!!! He inspires me, 100%!!!!!

June 4, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  20. Turner

CONGRATS OBAMA. GOD has chosen the right person for the Presidency. You have a heart for God's people, humble in spirit and the temperament of calmness and restraint that is needed as a leader. You have showed this election was truly about the people, the world and not about yourself.
    Hillary SHOULD NOT be considered as your VP. She has the spirit of being self centered, selfish, sore loser and right now showing the spirit of a woman who has been scorned.Also she would undermine your presidency to make you look inadequate. HIllary and Bill have to much bagage that will not fit in your vision " WE CAN CHANGE". She has shown in this campaign it was all about her not the people.
    Tell Hillary, crying crocodile tears this times will not be in her best interest and she is not entitled just because her name is Clinton.

June 4, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  21. CAROL

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!Senator Obama...I was moved last night ....I could not hold back the tears..it was a overwhelmingly feeling that this moment brings in our history...and as a people in the world......I am not american ...but as I watched from my island JAMAICA WI...I was equally. proud....Mr Obama the world is waiting for you...We are paraying for u.....GOD BLESS U..... Continue to be strong even the face of adversary......because when GOD IS IN THE VESSEL WE WILL SMILE AT THE STORM......

June 4, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  22. Indiana mom

Congrats to Mr. Obama and his campaign

You have given new meaning to the word humble and have shown the country that a campaign can be ran without mud slinging. Do not allow yourself to be pressured into selecting a VP that will no doubt have little or no respect for you and still feels like she is the best candidate and has yet to congratulate you. Select someone you can trust to be by your side and not undermine your your authority.
    Come re-visit Indiana soon and go to the Tornado disaster sights.

June 4, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  23. yblady

I am a Hillary supporter who will not vote for him even if she is the VP nominee. He is inexperienced, arrogant, and his speaking leaves me thinking of a televangelist, which is not a compliment. I have joined the McCain campaign as of today.

June 4, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  24. Obama is the One

"Horlet: This is far more than historic, it is a paradigm changing. You have to know people who were born in the segregated South to really understand this. People who could not try on shoes in shoe stores so they had to trace their shoes on cardboard so they wouldn't defile the shoes. To really understand what this means you have to consider it in the background of this country.

It is empowering. It is historic. It is a dream come true and I love it in every cell of my body. He won running a clean campaign with the right people supporting him. Now it is on to the Presidency and I am happier than happy."

How quickly people forget and hwo widely people are unaware of America's tortuous history. If you look at this nomination in PROPER perspective, you have no other choice but to find this absolutely amazing, astonishing, awesome, and awe-inspiring!!!!

Obama NOW-'16 and beyond for the continued positive influence he will have throughtout this nation and our world.

June 4, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  25. William, from Cali

I think, if left to be his own man; Obama , could bring this country together.But, that would be in a "Perfect World". We know, this World isn't Perfect..............................there are, "Slumbags" around!

June 4, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |