June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Jimbo

It's time all of us unite and fight!!!! If we do Hillary will take back what is rightfully hers!!! Hillary can expose the sexism that is rampant within the DNC and by doing so destroy and castrate that wholly male instrument. We must not let the fact that Obama received as many popular votes as Hillary dissuade us!!! We must not let the fact that Obama received more pledge delegates interfere!!!! We must not let the fact the Obama received more super delegates silence our screams. WE ARE WOMEN, HEAR US ROAR!!!!

Hillary can still win as long as she continues to run her campaign the way her women supporters run their lives; with an absence of logic and decisions based purely on emotion.

HILLARY FOR PRES. IN '09

June 4, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  2. Didine - Maryland

Congratulations President Barack Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!. The people have spoken, the elections are over for the nomination. you are the nominee of the Democratic party. We love because you are so humble. Your speech yesterday was so graceful. Keep up the good Job.

Obama '08

June 4, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  3. Veronica

Obama arrogant???? jajajajajajaja

best joke of the day....

June 4, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  4. Becky

As a Kenyan Raising an African American in Arlington, Texas. it now makes it easier, for me to tell my son he can be anything that he wants to be, white, black asian whatever you are, I am sure we all can relate to Obama's story in someway, God Bless him and his Family

June 4, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  5. Jesse - San Antonio TX

"I LOVE HIM!!!!! YOU CAN'T HELP BUT KEEP IN TUNE WITH IS MESSAGE HE GIVES US HOPE AND BRINGS US INTO THE LIGHT. WE ARE FINALLY EMERGING OUT OF THE DARK AGES. THE TIME IS NOW

YES WE CAN!!!!
    YES WE CAN!!!!
    YES WE CAN!!!!
    YES WE CAN!!!!"

"that speech last night almost had me almost in tears".

this is pure lunacy. american idiots.

June 4, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  6. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

Carly = HATER

you say BARACK is is arrogant.... How arrogant is it to LOSE then HOLD THE ENTIRE PARTY HOSTAGE, while you scream, pout, and hold-your-breath into the V.P. position...

yeah.... that's what i thought.

June 4, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  7. mollygonz

I love your humility and intelligence Barack!! You will make a great President. It's sad how some people see your confidence as arrogance. They just aren't smart enough to know the difference.

June 4, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  8. Rowena

For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud to be an American. I've always been proud – now I'm REALLY

June 4, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  9. steven

Obama, we love you. Our prayers go with you and your family. You inspire us just like JFK. God bless this country and our president to be.

June 4, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  10. CAROL

WE ARE PRAYING FOR U....MR OBAMA....JAMAICA WI..........

June 4, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  11. mary, Dallas, Tx

When I read comments like Carly, it really makes me want to go off but I am going to try to restrain myself. It is evident that you have another problem with Obama. Obama has ran a good campaign, not the Carl Rove type campaign that the Republicans and Hilliary have run.

You go Obama. You will be president and I will do all I can to help both physically and financially.

June 4, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  12. martin

no hillary as vp!

June 4, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  13. Rowena

PROUD ! God bless you Obama, Michelle, and the girls. And God bless America.

June 4, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  14. G MN

You are the one whom American needs!!!
    go OBAMA!!!

June 4, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  15. GR

Humbling? Wow maybe so. He sure needs it. He is cocky and arrogant, even more than Dubwa.

June 4, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  16. Barbara J. Coe

For the first time in 40 years, I will vote for a Republican for President, At our Democrat county convention I watched Obama supporters cheat and break the rules. There is no way I can vote for a man with these type of "anything it takes" supporters. As you can guess, I was and still am a Clinton supporter.

June 4, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  17. Mish

Congratulation Senator Obama to you and your family!!!
    now onward and forward to peace and prosperity!!!!
    Down with MCSame and the war mongers and the same ole same ole!!!

June 4, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  18. Addis - observer

... He deserve that! ... He deserve to b a president! ..

June 4, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  19. Dena in SC

Think of it–40 years since MLK. Forty is a time of trial. How I cried when ABC put a few seconds of MLK's "Promise Land" speech on after Obama's speech. Detractors and haters we need you because you keep me praying and millions of others. I'm a black Ph.D in sociology–this is charisma which is gifted, not guts, as Hillary has. I love her too but there can be only one winner.

June 4, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  20. Josh

Congrats Mr. Obama.
    You ran a good, clean campaign and You won by playing by the rules.

However America is still divided. Thanks to Mrs. Clinton for this.

You got a lot of work to do Mr. Obama and we believe you can.

We are right behind you 110%.

June 4, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  21. franco

Mr Obama, ok, you've gotten so far. Congratulations! Enjoy, it. But Mcain will clean your clock. You are not ready for prime time. By the way, did you serve in the military? If you love your country, why did you8 not?

June 4, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  22. Kim

Obama get ready for the real deal. I want these same people to these same loving, kind, words about you if you should become President and mess up. They will stab you in your back. Why? Because this is America and that's how they do things here. They say good things about you in your face and call you names when you are not around. Mark my words, if you should become President for four years and don't have four good years, they will say you messed up because you are a black man. They will not say "he's not all black". They will say he's black. That's how white people are. You know you weren't ready for this job, but you better get ready because all eyes are on you.

An African American Woman who will always be loyal to Hillary Clinton, not becuase she is a woman and is White, but becuase she is the better choice. Stop hating Hillary because of Bill's mistakes. He's a man and they make mistakes every half second.

June 4, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  23. Justin

I swear I don't know if Barack Obama clinched the nomination or Elvis Presley. Some of you are way to sprung on this guy.

June 4, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  24. Bev

Seator Obama

Congratulations all the way from us in South Africa. If Mr Nelson Mandela could lead our country from a land of division and segregation to a beacon of hope to become a united rainbow nation, then sir you can do it to the USA. Your citizens saw the same humility we saw in Mr Nelson Mandela. We are indeed looking forward to your first visit to our country as the next president of the the United States of America. God bless you and your family!

June 4, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  25. Sky

U-ROCK OBAMA !!!!! Way to go !

June 4, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |