June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Proud

Very proud of you Obama. All the way to the white house

June 4, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  2. Geo from Toronto

Oh please, You will make the worst president ever, hopefully you will lose and go back to your church and enjoy the hate that your used to. Your a fake.

June 4, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  3. magicpiano

Senator Obama,
    God Bless you and your family. I will pray for you every day from now through your presidency.

June 4, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  4. SL

Congratulations Senator Obama!!

Awesome speech last night! I was so proud and I'm so excited about the future!

God bless you and your family.

Obama '08
    YES WE CAN!!

June 4, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  5. Mark Blackwell

This country is in a REAL mess...AGAIN!!!!!!!
    I guess that it really does'nt matter how you vote, the DNC will just IGNORE the will of the PEOPLE and do what they want AND change the outcome of any election! Being from the great state of MICHIGAN, I am extremely upset with the DNC for over-ruiling my vote! SHAME on the DNC!
    The ONLY thing we can expect from an "Obama Presidentcy" is NOTHING! Just a lot of fancy talk, and cowering to those who want to hurt the United States!
    Hillary Clinton IS the only person qualified to be in the oval office!
    I am sick and tired of people calling her a racist! It seems that people quickly forget that it was Obama's church leaders that made all of those racist remarks about Hillary Clinton!
    Hillary Clinton has worked extremely hard for ALL of America's people for many, many years!
    The "Super Delegates" DO NOT represent the TRUE will of the PEOPLE!!!!!!! SHAME on the DNC!!! AND all those "STUPID DELEGATES"!!!!!!!!!
    May God help us!!!!!

June 4, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  6. Big Obama Fan

WAY TO GO, President Obama. I hope someone from your camp is monitoring these comments and taking the good suggestions to heart. PLEASE don't choose Hillary as your VP. How about Gov. Kathleen Sebelius from Kansas? She'd do a much better job aligning with your ideals than Hillary!

OBAMA/SEBELIUS '08!!!

June 4, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  7. tedious898

I congratulate you President Barack Obama. Our country will truly benefit from your strong leadership.

June 4, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  8. becky

PROUD! God Bless Obama and God Bless the world.

June 4, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  9. Pat

Congratulations .....Obama thank you for giving us Ameicans hope for a better America. Keep up the strong message of hope and you will get to the White House.

Pat

June 4, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  10. DWAINE

I THINKIT'S GREAT THAT A WOMAN , A BLACK MAN CAN RUN FOR THE HIGHEST OFFICE IN THE COUNTRY.
    BUT WE SEE HERE WHY THE ISSUE OF WOMEN IN POLITICS TO ME SEEMS SO DOWN PLAYED . THE GAME OF POLITICS HAVE RULES MEN PLAY BY THEM THE FIRST WOMAN TO GET THIS FAR ,SEES IT GETTING OUT OF REACH AND SHE WANTS TO CHANGE THE RULES. AT THE RISK OF SOUNDING SHOVINISTIC
    THIS IS WHY ADAM AND EVE WERE OUTSTED THE GARDEN .
    THAT IS MY OPINION. SHE IS FALL FROM GRACE.

June 4, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  11. Pedeen

GOD BLESS AMERICA the only LAND ON EARTH where a son of herdsman and Akarnsas woman can become the president!!. The American Dream is still possible!!!!

June 4, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  12. AJ

We Clinton supporters despise Obama. Hello President McCain!!!

June 4, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  13. Mark Blackwell

I would like to add this: NO B H O !!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  14. Jaki Maryland

Congratulations. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Hillary did a wonderful job knocking down stereotypes but Mr. Obama you showed what could happen when you don't resort to dirty politics.

I wish you God's speed as you go to the next struggle. Our ancestors would be proud and are looking down on you.

June 4, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  15. political junkie

What the?? How hard is it to spell J-F-K ????

I rest my case on the argument that the Obama
    supporters are not the shapest tools in the shed....

June 4, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  16. Nevada Dude

How is it possible that there are still people who believe Obama is Muslim. Equally mind boggling is that 40 some percent of Americans are unaware that THREE buildings collapsed on 9/11. I realize the media is severely controlled, but some of these facts are inescapable.
    ???

June 4, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  17. Jenny

congrats obama and clinton for running an thrilling campaign!

June 4, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  18. Low

Congradulations Obama and America, finally we have someone in the White House that is really going to care about THE PEOPLE. That awful speech by McCain was absoultely ludicrus. Botoked out, he could hardly read the teleprompter, and he keep saying "that's not change we can believe in" He needs a new speech writer and public speaking lessons.

June 4, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  19. Sandi

Congratulations! The American people, in fact people from the entire world are congratulating Senator Obama. And he can hold his head high because he obtained this honor the old fashioned way – with integrity and decency. Unlike his competitor who has no sense of decency – it just galls me that Clinton doesn't even show the courtesy to bow out gracefully or for that matter at all!!! What is she waiting on – has someone forgot to show her the newspaper today – SHE LOST and apparently she doesn't know that she is no longer a candidate!!!

June 4, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  20. DC Man

While I know it will be difficult to find the time I hope Obama takes a moment to reflect upon the significance of what he has accomplished. That he stops for a moment and realizes just how implausible all this would have been a mere 40 years ago when Jim Crow was alive and strong. I feel humbled myself to have been blessed with the opportunity to see this happen in my lifetime.

June 4, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  21. Generation X

@Hillary for President; what about last night that you didn't understand. Did you graduate from high school or obtained a GED. It is over for Hillary and guess what, NO VP. So, change your name to McCain for President. LMAO

June 4, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  22. Kristen

Obama’s head is in the right place. Last night his campaign chair gave him a remarkable comment. He said Barack never gets too high and he never gets too low.
    He has the right attitude and I think people will respect him for it. He sees this is a historical milestone, but it’s not just about him. Go Obama!!!

June 4, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  23. no no no hilLIARy!

Way to go Senator Obama soon to be President Obama. WE love you!!!

June 4, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  24. U.S.A.

"Carly" & "Spirit of America" – Are you so bitter and filled with hate for the man that you cannot see the significance of this nomination? Even if you don't like Obama, you must be able to recognize the progress this country has mad in just 40 years. His nomination was realized because he won votes from White, Black, Hispanic & Asian voters. For a moment, please take a second to recognize the greatness of a country that continues to grow toward equality for all men and women... Thank you America. I'm proud of us today.

June 4, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  25. ayo

God bless you obama,congratulation,God bless America.

June 4, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |