June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Boston for OBAMA

Congratulations Barack Obama. Your achievement last night has changed history forever. You have the support of my family.

June 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  2. Andrea,NY

Congratulations! Mr. Obama. God is with you always. You have made us proud.

June 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  3. Danielle in VA

I am so honored and proud to be able to witness and support this historic moment that many thought would never happen. This primary, this campaign and now this nomination shows how far America has came and the direction it is going!

MLK made his "I have a dream "speech in 1963, August 28 to be exact and Obama will be announced the Democratic Nominee August 28, 2008. This country is making great strides! History is being made!

June 4, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  4. Rick Blain

I thought Obama was the nominee for "CHANGE"???

Then why does he have all these Democrat big-wigs doing his VP hunt and telling him what to do??? Makes me wonder what he will change??

June 4, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  5. Beverly, NYC

Thank you Mr. Obama for conducting yourself and your campaign with honor . I will continue to contribute to your campaign for the long fight ahead. After seeing your Republican challenger's speech last night, you have no competition.

June 4, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  6. Austin, Texas

Stop all the hate people and let’s unite our party! I agree with the supporter from Iowa. Why is it when an individual like Senator Obama that has intelligence and great leadership skills is before us, most people believe or comment, "the only reason he has come so far is because he is black." As my friend above stated, "he would have one the nomination not matter what color he is"; the man is a true leader.

On to the White House Mr. President!!!

Obama/Richarson ‘08

June 4, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  7. Nick

Awesome and gracious man. I have switched parties to vote for Obama, NOT another Clinton!!

June 4, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  8. noemi of reason, latina for obama!

please go to hillary's website and submit a comment: ask her to stop down. tell her we don't want her as our VP. i already submitted my request and my friends have too. hillary needs to know that this has to stop: we cannot take her divisive rhetoric anymore...she has said too much trash about obama to know want to be his vp. she has to remind supporters that she is a democrat and that democrats should put the party first....mccain is another bush term.

obama generation 08

June 4, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  9. Linda

Senator Obama is the best person to be our president. Obama understands how we value our families, our work, our faith and our country. He has knowledge from the school of hard knocks. He has learned from his respective birth families, a tradition that honors productive hard work and the achievements that come from it. One of the best things he has going for him is he is honest. Please Hillary supporters transition for unity.

June 4, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  10. OBAMA SUPPORTER IN IOWA

I work with a bunch of Republicans and no one will talk to me today. They will only say they didn't bother to watch the primary coverage last night and don't really care about the results. I hope most people aren't that close-minded.

June 4, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  11. Nick

This man makes me want to believe things can change. I have switched parties to vote for Obama.

June 4, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  12. Texan for Obama

Enlightened Voter – No Hillary for VP – Well said.

Additionally, yes, Hillary ran a great race and should be commended for her efforts and accomplishment. But, Obama is the presumptive Democratic nominee and should be respectfully acknowledged as such and then petition, suggest, coerce the possibility of HRC being on “HIS” ticket without the "demand“ undertone.

The goal of ensuring a Democrat in the White House in January 2009 seems to be falling by the wayside and the Repub’s are laughing/gloating all the way to the bank. CAN WE PLEASE STOP THE FIGHT AND UNITE!!

June 4, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  13. Hanging with Hillary

This guy didn't win anything....the superdelegates gave him the nomination. Count the votes, more people supported Hillary because she would be a far better candidate–and president. It will be interesting to see how far he gets without half of the democratic party actually supporting him.

His appointment might be one small step for men...but its a giant leap into sexism.

June 4, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  14. NC Man

Congrats...I'm not voting for you but congrats.

June 4, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  15. Evens

The Messiah has arrived...! Saint Obama keep fighting for us...

June 4, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  16. Charlotte

I think he is arrogant, and has played the race card in every speech he has given. The urgency of now, I have a dream, and Selma one or another or all three have been mention in every speech I have heard Obama give. I defy anyone to find one in which race has not been brought up. Just one speech?

June 4, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  17. Orinn

OBAMA 08...jump on the bandwagon. Its moving with the majority. Congratulations OBAMA...to the whitehouse we go

June 4, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  18. Charlotte

Obama is the presumitive nominee. Until the conventions, no one including McCain, are the nominees. the convention is when the actual votes will be given, until then anything can happen. I will wait until the convention to see the actual results. Out of three possible scenarios on popular votes, Obama is ahead in only one. He is not my nominee. If he is the actual nominee in August and that seems likely, I will at that time know how I will vote in November. I suspect I will have to vote for Hillary, by write-in.

June 4, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  19. Georgette

I am an Independent, who has not supported one candidate over another. If all Americans think for one minute we have a voice in this or any election forth coming you are mistaken. The elections are manipulated to sever the few high-powered in government.
    Just look at the events of this campaign.
    Lets be honest here, from day one the news media has been bias. They have not been fair to the candidates, nor given Americans the real truth behind the stories. They broadcast what they want us to hear and know. Have you ever noticed the clips they choose to show, clips that in most cases then not are negative, without out revealing the actual truth behind it.
    The talking heads you see before your TV screens get there marching orders from the higher ups, who have already set the agendas.
    These self-severing originations from the onset, picked a candidate and proceeded
    To influence the American people with propaganda. The news media, journalist and ill informed annoying talking heads are part of America’s problem!

Sympathy for Senator Clinton, I think not! PROUD YES INDEED!!! She is a fighter, strong with many years of experience. She represents millions of strong Americans who will support her in whatever path she chooses.

June 4, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  20. John, London

@ Hillary for the President.

Why not get over it? If you can get your head out of Hillary backside for a minute, you'll see that the ship had set sail ages ago and your Hillary lost fair and square.

And to the winner goes the spoil. CONGRATULATIONS Sen. Obama.
    If God says YES, which human can say NO.
    May God's guidance and protection continues to lead you in all your endeavours.

June 4, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  21. abimbola faluyi

GOD
    BLESS
    A
    MERIC
    A

HOPE U UNDERSTAND THE MEANING OF THE ABOVE, LET ALL DEMOCRATS SUPPORT HIM, IT IS TIME FOR CHANGE AND THAT'S WHAT HE BELIEVES IN.

June 4, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  22. Mike

"Free at last, Free at last!!"
    Dr. King would be proud of all of us that have
    wished for or helped Senator Obama get to this position.

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are
    created equal."
    Our founders would also be proud

If you love America, you love this new day!!!
    If you love your fears and wish to return to an age of hatred,
    ignorance and oppression too bad. The tide is turning.

VOTE VOTE VOTE!

June 4, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  23. Otumala Betsy

its been wonderful all the way Mr Obama,you wil sure keep alive the dreams of martin luther kings.proud of you

June 4, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  24. Seth

Congratulation Obama!
    I think this is a great win for a great country, the americans and the people in the world! He is the best candidate and I'm sure he will be the next President of the United States!

June 4, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  25. Salaam, Lawrence KS

Barack is the right man for the job. He really knows what the challenges are, and he approaches every issue with care and humility. This is a new day not just for America, but for the entire world. Change is truly on the way.

June 4, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |