June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ruben

I have followed politics closely all my life, and I've never seen such a brilliant, graceful, and charismatic politician such as Senator Barack Obama.

June 4, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  2. fake

Faker.

A truly humble man does not cheat to win... does not strong-arm his competition out of the race... does not disenfranchise voters.

No win by cheating.

3. lorraine canada

I think that Hillary would of been a much better choice for President than Obama, I fully expected to see the Reverend Wright throw his arms around Obama and Michelle, mark my words this is going to happen as they will have a Great Forgiveness take place, and all will be forgotten and the public being the sponges they are will fall for it like they have the speeches Obama has given. God Bless America as I think we will need some outside help

4. Idealist/realist

ok, after seeing you guys vote bush in for 4 more years I honestly thought that the US didn't have what it takes to return to its former glory.

You've got a chance to stand for something now, instead of being scared. Embrace the change, and the change will embrace you.

Obama is only the messenger of the change the country needs. The real change comes from you.

Congratulations to Obama

5. Shasta

Congratulations, Barack Obama. You will be talked about for generations to come.

6. Debbi

Spirit of America

I doubt very much that the Rev. was thrown under the bus for political expediency. Get over it already.

It is now time to focus on the issues as this petty stuff is just swiftboating. Nice try though

7. JD

Good luck to Senator Obama. However, I'm still for McCain.

8. Tim in California

Note our friend "Spirit of America"....pointing out what he considers political expediency. I wonder what he calls McCain's flips on the Bush tax cuts, the comments about Falwell....."agents of intolerance", etc.
    The number of flips and flops from McCain is legion.....stay tuned there are many more to come...as hs tries his hand at "political expediency".

9. sacto joe

Senator Obama is a true gentleman. Even in the face of the horrible things thrown at him by the Clinton campaign, he almost always kept his dignity and never hit her with a low blow.

The best campaign won this nomination, not the least because of the high moral ground Senator Obama insisted on taking. Frankly, I think Senator Clinton made a huge strategic error in going negative, and it ultimately lost her the nomination.

She has to accept some of the blame for this, because ultimately she's the one that signed of on it. But there's not the slightest doubt in my mind that she was poorly served by her campaign.

As regards the VP, last night she chose continued confrontation rather than reconcilliation. If it were I, that would be the ultimate reason I'd reject her.

You should have graciously conceded, Hillary. It says a lot that you were far, far from gracious.

10. Lola

Congratulation to Obama – My family and I cried last evening, we never ever though that this day would come about. Stay humble.

11. Liar, Liar pants on fire

CNN, please change your web page from Hillary. This is disrespectful of the accomplishments of the presumptive democratic candidate.......but that's what some people do, disregard the successes and potential of certain people who don't look like you.

Acting just like Hillary, arrogantly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. F. Taylor

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out who will be the next president. McCain's rally could have been held in a telephone booth and his speech was no more than a prelude to the Republican slanderous propaganda with no real facts and a total lack of substance. The media keep hyping on the point the Democrats have problems uniting with hardly a mention of how bankrupt McCain's support is within the righteous right. Forget Hillary she's history focus on the McSame agenda.

13. Kaylee

Congratulations!!!!
    Please just don't trust someone (HRC) who wants the presidency so badly... I beg you not to pick her as VP.

Be very careful, please!!!!

14. elvispresleyObamo

»VICTORY!...VICTORY!...HURRAH !...The BEST candidate WON!...GOODBYE CLINTON(Don´t comeback!...)!...VICTORY!...V...VICTORY!...I knew it. HURRAH!...

15. Trina

If Hillary is your Veep, I'm voting for McCain. Don't be weak and let her bully you into anything! You won the nomination. She didn't.

June 4, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  16. J.D. from Indiana

I hope now that this country can begin to put color aside and focus on a persons talents, education and personality and get rid of the racial divide that still exists today. Obama is an articulate man that I believe can change the way our country does politics. Congratulations to all the candidates on a hard fought and yet very entertaining primary season. It makes me proud to be part of a country that is still democratic after all these years.

June 4, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  17. France with Obama

Congratulations. We're supporting you since the very beginning of your campaign, and we'll go on until this 4th November election day.
    We believe in you!

BARACK OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT

June 4, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  18. elvispresleyObamo

»VICCCCCCCCCCCCTORY!!!....VICTORY!!...

June 4, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  19. leapfrog

Leave HRC in the dust to suffer her karmic payback and move on. See if Edwards will run as VP and let's take on the GOP, or what's left of it.

June 4, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  20. illegit win

A truly humble candidate does not resort to dirty politics and the strategy of hate to divide the party and steal the nomination.

He won by cheating.

He is not the legitimate winner of this primary.

June 4, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  21. Honestly

He's very right. I am a 42 y/o Black woman. In 5th grade, I wrote a paper saying I wanted to be the first Black Woman President. The white TA (not the head teacher) called my mother in for a parent conference. She told my mother that she was concerned that I would even think such a thing and that my mother should try to give me more realistic goals. I still have lofty goals, but I actually grew to believe I'd be almost gone before seeing this day. My 15 y/o son told me last night that he never thought it was actually impossible. This country is changing before our eyes. This is just awesome!

June 4, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  22. shelagh

Congratulations, Senator Obama! And thank you for your courage. We will do all we can to be worthy of your victory, and bring America back from the dismal slump it's been in for way too long!
    It isn't about race or gender: it's about honesty and heart. Clearly you have both!
    Shelagh

June 4, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  23. Yobee

I've been voting for presidents since the 1976 election. For the very first time, I'm excited and proud about the candidate who's getting my vote this November.

Please don't break our hearts, Obama. We need a president to believe in again.

June 4, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  24. Independent for Obama

Godd for you Obama. I think it is great that HRC has also paved the way for women to run – it no longer seems farfetched that a woman could be POTUS – it seems like it is only a matter of time.

June 4, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  25. Venus

I just don't know how he could maintain that straight face of his last night! I mean ---- I smiled from ear to ear and laughed with such joy!

I love the fact that he includes all Americans and not just what he has done in his campaign. Even this morning... I woke up smiling!

There is no way I could have held myself up like he did last night!

He is going to be a great president and I can't wait!

June 4, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |