June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. HomoSapien

Spirit of America – you should change your nickname. You are doing great disservice to the country. Because if YOU are the Spirit to America, then we are in big trouble.

Here's a suggestion – how about "Ghost of America" or something to that effect?

June 4, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  2. True

God Bless you Obama! Congratulations! We'll work hard to get you in the White House by registering new voters to overtake Hillary's McCain supporters!!

YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!YES WE CAN!

June 4, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  3. Anna

Congratulations!!! Obama. I am impressed with the graceful way you handled your victory. Wtg.

June 4, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  4. Diane

Humbling indeed. You have earned and deserve this honor. You are a true American hero. You are what America is all about. You have made a difference in the lives of so many already, and you will be the next President of the United States of America!

God bless you, and God bless the United States of America.

June 4, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  5. ladym

Thank you OBAMA and EVERYONE who has contributed to his campaigne. I CAN'T WAIT to get paid so I can donate again!!!

PRESIDENT OBAMA!!!!! '08

June 4, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  6. cheater

Such a phony man can rise this quick and this soon due to the corruption in the democratic party.

June 4, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  7. NGANGA,Austin TX

But if you ask Hillary, IT IS ALL ABOUT HILLARY!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  8. Arizona

Could we be lucky enough to get this man for President? Dare I get my hopes up?

June 4, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  9. Go Hillary

Obama is not humble. He stole the nomination from Hillary. See the explanation below to believe it Obama Supporters!!!

Obama brain washed superdelegates or they are sexists they didn't do the electrol map math but did the pledged delegates Math. Not enough Not henough to win the white house.

Superdelegates cannot do the map math or they might have kept their brains else where. we cannot win in Nov by pledged delegate math we want the Map math to win back the white house.

Go Hillary 2009-2016!!! Don't conede. American people need you. We 100% know that you are a better and a stronger candidate to win the white house. We ordinary American people can do the electrol map not the superdelegates what a shame!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  10. poyoray

I really think most of Obama's 17 million voters have isolated themselves from the politics of our country, way too much to the left, you can't win with that

June 4, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  11. Caryn, WDC

God Bless you President Obama. I am so overwhelmed with joy right now and I know that I will forever remember where I was the moment you won the Democratic nomination for President of the United States.

Now let's kick some republican butt!

June 4, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  12. Karen in Jacksonville Florida

One contest down. One to go. Congratulations Senator Obama and Mrs. Obama. Enjoy your victory. Your Humble Prayer Warrior.

June 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  13. Denial

President Obama!!!!!!

Vp ....... ?????

DEMOCRATS 08!!!!!!!

UNITED WE STAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  14. Rave

You are a Humble man , Mr. Obama.
    Be aware of the witch around you now.
    OBAMA / AL GORE 2008

June 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  15. resume

Tell me again.
    what made him qualified?

where is his resume?

How did he win?

Cheating is not winning.

June 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  16. Joe

Obama never try to do dirty tricks on Clintons. He never try bring up their baggage and mess on the media spotlight.
    I just love him.
    I hope the right wing media will stop stooping too low going to Chicago to uproot anything dirty on Obama. He is a man of character and I expect him to be imperfect.
    I truly believe he will once a lifetime leader!

June 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  17. The Bush Twins : George and John

God Bless you Sen. Obama. You came from out of nowhere and you beat the big machine. You are an inspiration to all of us. We look for hope in you, for our country. You have a heavy burdon to bare when you become our president. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

Phillis B.

June 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  18. EDW

I am an African American FEMALE with two daughters and I would have been proud to have either candidate win. Let's unite and beat the Republicans.

Democrats 08

June 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  19. see it to believe it!!

June 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  20. NotThisTime

America even feels different right now ... that is good. Thank you Senator Obama for having the courage. Job well done – now the hard part!!

June 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  21. whiner

Now if only the people had actually voted for him.

That would be a winner.

June 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  22. Ryan

It's a new day in America!

June 4, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |