June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. TMD

And he doesn't need H.R.C. as V.P. to win in November!!!

After he wins though is when I want to see the man in action. GO OBAMA....God bless you and your family!

June 4, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  2. teeny lead

Should be VERY humble.

No mandate.

A mear squeak of a win

June 4, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  3. Agnes

Nobama! 18 million Demorcats across this nation said so! Why? Too many unanswered questions. This is not about race or religion, only the weak minded and mean spirited boil it down to that; it is about who is able to make the weighty decisions the next President must face. Global Warming, War, Economic "downturn," Oil, Commodities, Health, Fresh Water, many issues spanning the global community await our next president. Obama simply is not experienced and has not proven his patriotism. The DNC picked the weaker candidate, giving unearned votes to Obama. Who is David and who is Goliath? Nobama!

June 4, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  4. Se in Philadelphia

Congrats Obama you ran a splendid campaign!!! Next stop WHITE HOUSE!!!

CNN YOU BETTER PUBLISH THIS

June 4, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  5. scott

Sure the guys pretty but let the talk on issues and not himself (his favorite subject) begin. lets see the proof he can run a country!!!!!!! this is his first real win for a shot at getting elected for a position and its still somewhat questionable...........Now he has to really prove himself states like Montana are not a sure win there are many more like SD.

June 4, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  6. pam Eugene OR

Congratulations President Obama. You have won. Now please show your sound judgment by picking your own VP. Do not start out being black mailed. IF you want Hillary so be it!

June 4, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  7. Gary in VA

I love the job you've done. I will do everything in my power to help you future President of the U.S. of America. But one thing, no Hillary PLEASE!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  8. Yes We Did, USA

Congratulations, Sen, Obama. As a staff volunteer, I was fortunate to meet him recently and got a hug. What you see is what he is - a gracious, decent human being, schollar, and brilliant leader.

June 4, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  9. Suzette

God Bless you and your family Mr. Obama. I look forward to voting for you in November, and wathcing your inauguration in January.

You need no one but God to get you there. He definitely has a plan for you.

June 4, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  10. Blaze

Umm, He is not President yet. Remember, don't count your chickens before they hatch. People said that about Al Gore and Kerry as well and we know what happened to them. Personally, there is no way I can bring myself to vote for Obama. He has shown me no real patriotism, he has a lot of big words with no actions backing them up and from listening to him it scares me about what he will do in Iraq. I personally believe he will make it into another veitnam. He will cave into the peer pressure of people here and withdraw, leaving a mess of indignation over there and destroying all our military has fought and suffered for. And dont you go saying I have no idea, my brother served over there and he had experiences I have no desire to have. But he agrees as well as I that to withdraw completely right now would be more dishonor to our troops than anything else we could do to them. So for me, obama is the greater of the two evils right now.

June 4, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  11. Veronica

Congratulations Mr President...and may God bless you always!!

WE DID IT!!!

June 4, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  12. vict

Congratulations good job

June 4, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  13. MJ

give me a break. John McCain will trounce Barack in the general election. You people are living in a fairytale!!!!

June 4, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  14. Absolutely NOT

Whatever Barack Obama does, he should NOT allow Hillary Clinton to weasel her way onto the ticket as VP.

She would try to undermine him at every turn. In spite of what she says about wanting to do what is best for the country and party, she is pushing her own agenda – which is Hillary First.

Hillary was all about "What Hillary wants" in her speech last night. Not about the country or the party. A Barack/Hillary ticket would be a nightmare.

June 4, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  15. Mary in Georgia

May God's grace, mercy and love continue to surround Senator Obama and his family.

June 4, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  16. Joseph Adewole

When The LORD say YES, no one can say no.

June 4, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  17. Mike in Calgary

To walk with kings, and yet not lose the common touch (Rudyard Kipling). Barack Obama is truly a MAN FOR ALL SEASONS!

The USA is lucky to have such a man dedicated to Public Service.

Mike in Canada

June 4, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  18. Natasha/Supporter of Democrats

You are the one for us to make a better America. We will unite, but it should takes some approach from Hillary as well.

Obama 08

June 4, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  19. mj

Yeah...good luck with that. Sad for this great nation that you people can't see past the ends of your own noses. Before you continue patting yourselves on the back and congratulating yourselves, take a moment and know this...John McCain will now be the next POTUS. Congratulations. Nice work.

June 4, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  20. Maritza

America in large does not really care that a black man has the possibility of becoming President , remember how far this country has come since the days of slavery , it's expected that at one point in history a black man could be president and in all fairness a women as well could be the leader of our nation , only in a democratic nation and only in America could their be such an opportunity . It will be what a leader will do by way of action for the betterment of a county that matters the most always in the End. As far as being humble , no Obama is in no way humble , he just says he is.

June 4, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  21. Tammy

As I watched history unfold last night, the tears filled my eyes! I sat in amazement. This Senator from Illinois who happened to be African American, clinched the democratic nomination for the presidency. Being African American myself, my heart is overjoyed and full of hope! If only Dr. King could see. . . his dream, in a tremendous way, has come to fruition!

June 4, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  22. tedious898

Spirit of America June 4th, 2008 1:03 pm ET

Was/is one of those persons who knocked barriers Rev. Jeremiah Wright, the man Obama threw under the bus for political expediency?
    *********************
    Its so sad people like "Spirit of Hate and Resentment" can only repeat the words of their favorite pundit Mr. "Dem / Lib" hater – Shanne Hannasty of Faux

June 4, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  23. CB

WONDERFUL! News papers, call in radio shows, tv shows ALL AROUND THE WORLD are reporting this news. People are ready to start standing with the USA again! I pray voters are smart enough to see the goodness.

June 4, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  24. Enough

I am so proud....so proud!

June 4, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |