June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Mark Vale

What a wonderful historic occasion this has been. Obama is a gift to us and our future as a nation! Blessings to him! As I understand, that is actually what the name Barrack means, "blessings."

June 4, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  2. FB

This is a great day. Not only because an African American has acquired the nomination, but because he was able to overcome an unethical, win at all costs, egomaniac who tried to destroy you. And her supporters backed her regardless of her tactics.

It is a good day because hopefully we have heard the last of the Clintons.

June 4, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  3. Milwaukee for Obama

Whenever he speaks, tears fill my eyes. He is very humble. Thanks Obama.

June 4, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  4. VJmem

To "Spirit of America" – the answer is YES. Rev. Wright was one of the people who knocked down barriers for ALL of us. We don't have to like how he presents himself, but, he is a barrier breaker. Accept it for what it is. There are people in each of our lives who falls into the same category as Rev. Wright.

June 4, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  5. Minnesota against Johnny McSame

Congratulations Senator Obama for running a good campaign AND WINNING IT.

Humility thy name is Obama.

June 4, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  6. Dale Scott, Winterville NC

It was trulu an honor to witness history in the making last night when senator Obama gave such an eloquent, unselfish speech. It is a true testimony to his character. He was very motivating and electrifying, and most of all very very aristocratic/dubonair in contrast to his competitor. I am a registered republican for democrats in this upcoming election.

June 4, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  7. Sherron

Dear Mr. President OBAMA

Congrats to you and your beginning to CHANGE. As a young black woman I am greatful to experience this moment of change with you. My friends and I understand that this is not about race, its about everyone being 1. This is one day I am truly pround to be an American. I am happy that individuals have opened their minds and are wanting and willing to embrace change. We thank you soooooooooo much in our homes, and our hoods(this really brings tears to my eyes) that you as a 46yr old, black man have given us hope. My BROTHERS and our CHILDREN now know that if they believe they can acheive!!! BARACK our BLACK MEN needed this and we cant thank you enough!! WE LOVE U BARACK OBAMA!!!

June 4, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  8. Vig

Obama is full of bull and this will become more apparent as the pep rallies disperse and he has to really show what he's made of besides a bunch of wooing words. How can you advance the cause of Blacks while shafting the cause of women? A house divided will not stand and unless Clinton is on the ticket. Obama can kiss my vote good-bye.

June 4, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  9. DR Congo for Obama

Senator Obama , Thanks. you make me proud and you challenge me to do better. May The God of our ancestors: Nzakomba, Mungu, Akongo, Nzampa, Anti, bless you and protect you.. Thank you. The DR Congo love you and support you.

June 4, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  10. Alien

Proud of America once again. If it was Hillary, I would have considered applying for citizenship. If it's McCain, I am going back to my homeland. If it's Obama, I am positive about being a future American Citizen.

– GOBAMA –

June 4, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  11. Yoselly Ramos Democrat NJ

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    Not only did you win the nomination Obama, but you did it with respect,
    grace, and dignity.

YES WE CAN!!!
    OBAMA 08!!

June 4, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  12. Dylan

Well said, Mr. President!

June 4, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  13. Obama all the way..

A great humble man. He will make a wonderful leader. I will be proud to call him my President.

June 4, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  14. New Day

oh, "Spirit of America," what a mean lil person you are. Buck-up, lil trooper!

June 4, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  15. In all fairness...

Congratulations!

Now, really seal the deal, and offer the VP to Hillary! What a dynamite, ticket that will be! You go together like a hand in a glove!

June 4, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  16. Tony

Congrats Senator Obama, you inspire us all. Your humility is something that illuminates the world. You are being praised world wide. You have followers in Asia, Europe, Africa and the reset of the world. You are the hope for the rest of the world. You have that international appeal. The rest of the world sees you as a well educated, well traveled eloquent gentleman.
    We are proud of you!

June 4, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  17. C. CONCERNED CANADIAN

This has been without question or exception the most exciting politcal event of my entire life – and I'm not even American. I still get gosse bumps replaying Obama's speach in my mind.

Two GREAT lines that I will never forget: (paraphrased)

>.. I honor his achievments while be belittles mine...

... will not use religeon ans a wedge nor patriotism as a bludgeon...

WOW

Clinton and MCcain accuse Obama of offering nothing but pretty speaches but, you know, Speaches motivate , speaches galvanises, speaches unite disparate groups into actions that can change the world.

June 4, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  18. Anson

HEAR THE WORDS

TRUE President 😀

June 4, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  19. Rudy

Give me a break. People are still talking about Rev. Wright? Over 8,000 people are members of that church, and I doubt very seriously if EVERY sermon reflected the overly used sound bites we all saw. They wouldn't have sustained those congregant numbers if he had anyway. Besides, for every one of those sound bites, I'd bet 25 dealt with things of a Biblical nature.

June 4, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  20. BJGT

God bless America! God bless Obama!

June 4, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  21. Jennifer

Congratulations, Barack Obama, a well deserved victory! Your grace and sincerity came through in your speech last night.
    Clinton's, in sharp contrast, was narcissistic and defiant, and showed that she would be a poor choice for VP.

June 4, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  22. inderpal gumer

Can happen ONLY in USA. Thanks to the people of United States of America.

June 4, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  23. NY Dem

Wonderful!! Obama all the way!!

Finally, the world will see our nation in a different light.

June 4, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  24. Dream fufilled

It was pretty overwhelming for a lot of family, friends and coworkers that I spoke with last evening...Here is a leader than is born in our generation and symbolizes the fruits of the labor of the civil rights movement. Based on his mixed heritage, he is the embodiment of the American dream and can not be merely dismissed based on political talking points and catch phrases thrown around by his detractors...

June 4, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  25. Carolyn

This is a God sent Man.........Congradulation and may continue to bless you and you family. PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA '08

June 4, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |