June 4th, 2008

Obama calls win 'very humbling'

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.obamacap.ap.jpg caption="Obama is back on Capitol Hill Wednesday."] WASHINGTON (CNN) - Barack Obama's run for the White House bodes well for the future, the presumptive Democratic nominee told CNN Wednesday, a day after he clinched the nomination.

"I have heard from a number of people already, both black and white, that their kids - 7, 8, 9 years old - take for granted now that, of course a black can run for president, that a woman can run for president," he said.

"There is a matter-of-factness to it that i think bodes well for the future."

The Illinois senator said it was "an enormous honor" and "very humbling" to be the first African-American to lead a major party ticket for president.

"You think about all the people who had to knock down barriers for me to walk through this door," he said in a Senate hallway. "And the challenges they went through were so much more difficult, so much more severe, and the risks they took were so much greater that I will say, last night standing in that auditorium, it struck me that it was testimony to them."

Obama dodged questions about Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination who has not admitted defeat.

They spoke by telephone Tuesday night and met briefly Wednesday in person at the annual conference of a pro-Israel lobbying group, the America-Israel Public Affairs Committee.

"It wasn't a detailed conversation," Obama said. "As I said, I am very confident about how we're going to be able to bring this party together."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Raymond Duke

Even though this primary was fixed by the media and the democratic leadership committee it is good to hear him say " it is humbling" . W hen he loses the general election in November , which he will, I would like to hear him say , i am still humbled to have been given the opportunity even though I lost. My bet is on the side that him and all his supporters will raise hell and say how racist america is and they were cheated. Then he will run back to Trinity church and again show his true colors.

June 4, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  2. Gary Chandler in Canada

Who chose McCain's campaign color!? yea-ch (decadent green?)
    That is something he SHOULD flip flop on!
    ----
    Now, is the time!
    Now, is the time!
    Now, is the time!

June 4, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  3. Brian

Well, he won the nominiation but he's in trouble – look at the electoral college. The question isn't whether he asks Hillary, but how he gets her on the ticket. The only states that matter are OH, FL, PA, MI, NJ.

June 4, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  4. Party Crasher

Spirit of America,

Quite frankly Jeremiah Wright was one of those persons, he just happend to go to far and focused on what was bad more that what it could be.

But don't worry Sprite of America, Senator Obama will be your president also, unless you are planning on leaving.

June 4, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  5. sc00ter, Norfolk, VA

As a Democrat adn supporter of Clinton, I will noe cross party lines and vote for McCain. Will need a political savy insider to bring this ciuntry back from the brink..

Not some idealist, that wants to sitdown and talk with countries like Cuba and Iran. He needs to understand these countries only understand a big stick method. Either the USa way or the HIghway.

June 4, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  6. Reality

OBAMA the gloves should be off now and send grandpa MCsame home the white house is not for retire but for vivid, active and brillant American, YOU.
    God bless YOU OBAMA

June 4, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  7. Jason B

What a profound achievement!

Obama 08

June 4, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  8. Sean S

That speech last night had me almost in tears.. Cant wait for his acceptance speech

June 4, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  9. JJ

I have to admit, last night was a very exciting moment in our history. It was an emotional one for many of Americans and I am proud to say that I am so proud of what both Obama and Hillary have accomplished. God Bless America!

June 4, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  10. Voting Obama

OBAMA 2008!! I LOVE OBAMA AND WHAT HE STANDS FOR IS THE REASON I VOTED FOR HIM. IT SHOWS THAT HATRED NEVER WINS!!
    OBAMA RAN A SUPERB CAMPAIGN AND I RESPECT HIM DEARLY. IT IS TIME THAT PEOPLE LEAVE PREJUDICENESS THOUGHTS TO POSITIVE MOTIVATION. WE HAVE ALL COME A LONG WAY!!

YES WE CAN!! ITS TIME FOR A CHANGE PEOPLE!! ITS UP TO US TO MAKE IT HAPPEN. NO MORE NEGATIVE ATTITUDES. YOU KNOW THAT HE IS BETTER AND CAN BEAT JOHN MCCAIN!!

June 4, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  11. Selena

Jamie, you comment said it best.

Obama is my JFK too.

I'm so intrigued by this candidate and it seems that the entire world is too!

All the way to the WHITE HOUSE! Obama '08

June 4, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  12. hugues

Congratulations ! Mr next President of United States

June 4, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  13. DENISE

GREETINGS,

BOB JOHNSON AND ALL ELSE BEHIND THIS MADNESS. PLEASE EXAMINE YOUR THOUGHTS YOU WERE WRONG WHEN YOU SAID SEN CLINTON WOULD WIN OVER SEN OBAMA, AND YOU ARE WRONG NOW. KEEP YOUR THOUGHTS TO YOURSELF. YOUR CANDIDATE HAS NOT EVEN GIVEN SEN OBAMA RESPECT. YOU WOULD NOT INVITE YOUR ENEMY IN YOUR HOUSE TO EAT WITH YOU, SO WHY SHOULD HE. THE WOMAN IS SO ARROGANT SHE IS PATHETIC. SEN CLINTON SHOULD GO TO CHURCH LIE ON THE ALTAR AND REPENT FOR HER UNGODLY BEHAVIOR.
    "READ THE BIBLICAL COUNT OF KING SAUL AND KING DAVID. SAUL WAS APOINTED BY THE PEOPLE, KING DAVID WAS ANOINTED BY GOD. YOU ASK GOD FOR WISDOM

GRACE AND PEACE

June 4, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  14. Chief lagosboy, NJ

Congratulation Obama!, Congratulation Obama!!, Congratulation Obama!!!, Congratulation Obama!!!! We have one more race to win and we shall reach the mountain top! Congratulation once again!

Our President Obama 08’ & 12’

June 4, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  15. Foreign Observer

Obama did not throw the Reverend W "under a bus." He distanced himself from some of his more inflammatory comments. He only divorced, as it were, after W attacked him in a rather bizarre performance. And he distanced himself from Pfleger after Pfleger attacked _Hillary_, Obama's opponent, in - let's be serious here - what was a rather mild if rather inane parody of her NH tears. I've found his conduct impeccable in these matters.

June 4, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  16. unions are not stupid

So Called Spirit of America!

You need to read Rev Wright did help knock down those doors to allow him to be there but he was one of many many strong leaders that made that charge none of them not one of those leaders was perfect then or now. His reason for cutting ties with him had to do with deep personal convictions and is none of the publics biz however in this country there are some Americans who think that they have the right to intrude upon and condemn everyone that trys to stand up and bring about positive change. How sad that people like you are around. This country is going to change for the better and you can sat by and hate on it or get involved with the common values we all share as Americans every notice you only focus on the negative and divisive. Never a positive post from you what a sad human being

June 4, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  17. Wayne De Goey

E-mail to Hillary Clinton:

Senator Clinton,

How please Senator McCain and the Republicans must be with your speech last evening , which continues to show your intent to destroy the Democratic Party by dividing voters and possibly giving the election to the Republicans. I have voted as a Republican all my adult life (46 years) but because of how the Bush administration and the Republican Party have ruined and bankrupt this country for the last eight years I am switching loyalties to the Democratic Party.

Your attempt these last few months, when you knew you had no chance of getting the nomination, has keep Senator Obama from campaigning solely against Senator McCain. You show NO concern for the party or the country but only you’re personal ambitions and egotism. Your actions reflect the very same outrageous actions the Republican Party have pursued in destroying this country these last eight years.

You’re aspiration, now that you lost the nomination for President, to force Senator Obama to choose you as his running mate reflects your arrogance and disregard for this Party and the people your continue to mislead. I trust the Democratic Party realizes that Senator Obama could never be able to lead this country with you as V.P. since you can not keep silent nor you husband. The news media would continue to find conflicts between you and President Obama so that little if any progress could be made in the next four years.

Since you did not choose to concede your candidacy nor seek harmony within the Party in your speech last night, as Senator Obama did, but defiantly ignore the Parties leadership, the Party Democrats in the Senate should black ball your future within the Senate and any future political aspirations you might have.

Senator Clinton, resign your campaign immediately and bring harmony to the Democratic Party or if you continue to run your egotistical campaign you will destroy both your credibility as a true Democrat and the chance for the Democratic Party to win the September election.

Wayne De Goey
    12915 Hallstrom Drive NW
    Gig Harbor, WA 98332

June 4, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  18. Not So Delusional

I don't think Barak quite understands that he TOO has and continues to Knock Down barriers. Barak, you too are an inspiration of what we all can become as individuals and as a nation. Thank you and we'll see you in the White House.

Your friendly neighborhood Republican.

June 4, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  19. Luncheon Ladies

Dear Senator Obama,

May God Bless and Keep you!
    May He make his face to shine upon you and protect you and your family.
    May He guide you and and give you the wisdom to make the best decisions to lead All Americans to a better future.

May the Peace of the Lord be with you always!

Luncheon Ladies.

June 4, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  20. maadam candidate

I supported Hillary but now I am for Obama.
    Thank you for breaking those barriers.
    Mr. President.
    I believe that even us white poor people can now have our kids master the plan and run for Office without money.
    Thank you to MLK for having that dream!

June 4, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  21. No McCain

Congratulations Brak Obama... you did it... AND I AM SURE IN NOVEMBER U WILL DO IT AGAIN... I TRUST U... U DESREVE ANY DOLLAR I SPENT IN UR CAMPAIGN.

June 4, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  22. Bryce

Obama is a great and humble man, and its to bad the same can't be said for Sen. Clinton. She lost fair and square and was wrong not to respect Obama at this historic moment. At this point there is no reason for her not conceed, and it set a bad tone toward unity for the party. He should make an independent choice for V.P. however I don't think it should be Sen. Clinton.

June 4, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  23. cynthia

My teenagers stayed up last night to see history for themselves.
    It was a humbling moment for us all.
    Hillary and John Mccain tried to spoil that with their nonsense,but it was what it was (snakes spewing out venom).
    I have a daughter and while hillary was the first woman to make it this far I hope she NEVER cites HIllary as one her role models due to her behavior in this entire process. Especially since she won't evev acknowledge OBAMAS historic triumph.
    I am humbled for Barack OBAMA I am happy and I wish him the best in this election,and may God BLESS HIM in every thing that comes his way.
    We only get something like this once in a generation,and it will be Barack OBAMA.

June 4, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  24. God sent him

A prayer for Obama.......Dear lord, as he come before you, I ask for you to guide him. I ask for your blessing, give him strengh, lord.give him wisdom, knowlege and understanding as he prepare to lead this great nation into the 21st century. I know there will be obstacle in his way but with you by his side he will over come.

Lord it was your choice for this man to be were he is today and he will carry out his duties to the fullest.

I will not surprise if Cuba become a democratic nation under his presidency nor will I if the leaders of Iran bow down before him and give up their nuclear ambition. I foresee a better America and a better world in the future. I pray to you in Jesue name.....Amen

June 4, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  25. Rena

Congratulations Obama –

May God continue to lead you and guide you through all this is to come. I pray his peace will continue be your strength. Obama let your light so shine that many may see your good works and glorify your Heavenly Father. Let is so shine that those who are against you make not only began to see the hope the Father is trying to give but may ask what must I do to be saved.

God Bless You and your family!

June 4, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |