June 4th, 2008

Poll: White, Hispanic Democratic women still favor Clinton

(CNN) – As Sen. Barack Obama ends the primary process and begins his transition from Democratic front-runner to presumptive nominee, a new Gallup poll suggests that his bid to win over the support of his party’s white and Hispanic women voters is far from over.

Even with her presidential bid all but formally over, Sen. Hillary Clinton edges Obama slightly among female Democratic voters overall, with a four point lead; the New York senator has the support of 49 percent of Democratic women while Obama has support from 45 percent, according to Gallup.

Although Obama lags Clinton by only four percentage points among female Democrats overall, his problems with white and Hispanic women are much deeper.

Clinton leads Obama by 20 percent among white, female Democrats: She has the support of 57 percent of white women Democrats, while Obama's support stands at 37 percent.

Among Hispanic women who are Democrats, the difference in support is even larger. Sixty-two percent of Hispanic women who are Democratic voters support Clinton, and Obama lags by 30 percentage points, with support from just 32 percent of the demographic.

Obama’s troubles with working class voters are also a factor in the equation: 62 percent of female non-college-educated white Democrats support Clinton, while 32 percent of the same group supports Obama - but among white, college-educated women Democrats, Clinton and Obama are virtually tied – 48 percent to 47 percent.

Obama’s problems with seniors also play a role:Among white, female Democrats aged 65 or older, Obama loses out to Clinton by 36 percentage points - 64 percent of that core Clinton constituency support her, while only 28 percent support Obama. Among younger white women voters, that gap narrows considerably. Obama has a 12 percentage-point lead with white, female Democrats aged 18 to 29.

The Gallup survey released Tuesday is based on telephone interviews of 12,151 national Democratic voters, aged 18 and older. The poll was conducted May 1-May 31 and has a margin of error of plur or minus two percentage points.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Hillary Clinton • Polls
  1. democrat in the white house

these white,hispanics and women has to ask themselves what is more important a democratic president or Hillary Clinton

June 4, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  2. NickNas

EVERY woman who supports her will change their minds as soon as CNN has the guts to run the story that is on the Huffington Post that quotes the Clinton senior staffer who says that she wants to be OFFERED the VP spot so she can TURN IT DOWN! THEN says " Don't you DARE Offer the VP spot to ANOTHER WOMAN!!!"

SO much for Hillarys unselfish work for furthering ALL Women. We all knew she was in this for Her and her ALONE!

But I bet this will NEVER see the light on this Blog...this is Hillarys Blog.

June 4, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  3. vw

YES, THIS IS THE PROBLEM. BUT YOU KNOW, NO MATTER WHAT WILL HAPPEN, THE BLACK WILL GO TO THIS WEAK CANDIDATE OTHER THAN OUR HERO JOHN.

June 4, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  4. Not sleeping at the switch

I am struck everytime I see these PHONE polls. I know many people and None of them have land lines but have multiple Cell phones or VOIP (like Vonage over the internet) None of those people recieve any of these calls so how is this accurrate??

June 4, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  5. David, NJ

Democrats unite! We need to win the white house. Obama will include many women and hispanics in his cabinet. Also McCain will appoint ultra conservative judges who will rule harshly women's issues and immigration issues.

June 4, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  6. TKB from DC

The only reason this is because they do not know Sen. Obama, but when they get to hear him and know him, this will change.

June 4, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  7. Antoinette from New Carrollton, MD

Look at how they made a mountain out of a molehill here

4 points behind her. Big deal

June 4, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  8. Falconnetti

I don't believe that Obama has that deep of a problem with white women. I think that white women were in support of Hillary Clinton, and really wanted her to win. They are angry, dissappointed, and Obama is the object that they have transfered this negative energy to. However, after a cooling off period, they will back Sen. Obama in droves because John McCain is the alternative. A McCain presidency creates problems for women voters both substantively and figuretively. National health insurance, Roe v. Wade, War in Iraq, failing economy, No Child Left Behind, the high cost of gasoline, food, energy, the mortgage crisis are just a few of the major issues that will move Hillary's white women supporters to Obama. Obama and Clinton have very little difference in their policy platforms. I believe the vast majority of Hillary's women supporters will see that and coalesce behind Sen. Obama by November. But I don't think putting Hillary on the ticket as V.P. is a good idea. First I think both she and Sen. Obama are being pushed into a "shotgun wedding". I don't think for one moment that Mrs. Clinton would be happy as a vice president. And on top of that ,Bill brings along a bit too much baggage to make it work. It will work out in the end for the Democratic Party and its nominee for POTUS, Barack Obama!!!

June 4, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  9. marika from texas

Not All women or Latino.s are for Clinton,and soon all of Us will support Obama.

June 4, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  10. Marilyn

I am a white, college-educated, upper-income professional woman who will NOT vote for Obama. I've been a Democrat all my life, but I now consider myself an Independent. The Democratic party has lost me forever.

June 4, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  11. k lee

I hope that Obama does NOT ask Hillary Clinton to be his VP. Obama should use his own strengths (Oprah's money) to win the White House.
    Why should he use Hillary to win the the Presidency? Perhaps Father Pfleger is available?
    Obama will never get my vote. Putting the Washington version of Paris Hilton into office is the last thing I'll vote for. It's a vote for John McCain for me in November and Hillary in 2012!

June 4, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  12. Jean

We are free Americans that take freedmon seriously we do not always follow blindly as being led like soldiers with no power of our own. I am an older woman and am concerned about the issues that affects my children, grand children and those I love.

June 4, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  13. TESAP

DUM DUMS................ SHE HAS NEVER BEEN IN YOUR SHOES, A NANNY RAISED CHELSEA, SHE HAS NO IDEA WHAT YOU WOMEN GO THROUGH.............. WHY CHOOSE HER??? DUMMIES

June 4, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  14. DrMan

I'm so tired of Obamites screaming about the high cost of gas and food. Please name one thing that Obama will do about the high cost of either. All he wants to do is, theoretically, tax the rich to pay for all his programs. Well guess what, with the economy in the toilet, the rich aren't as rich. Even so, unless he taxes them at 100% there is no way he will pay for all his socialistic programs. And again, he will do nothing, nothing, nothing, about high gas prices.

June 4, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  15. ANGIE

i think they will come around in a few months that just have to come out of hillarys spell obama is gonna be in the media alot now more that were in the ge i think if they start to listen to him more they will see hillary and him have alot in common as far as their views and visions of this country they will come around

June 4, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  16. Nando, Florida

Women better grow up and see what John Mccain is going to do for women when you are back in long dresses looking like Laura Engles .

Also for LATINO"S THAT JOHN MCCAIN THAT WAS GOING TO BE A FREIND OF LATINOS HE HAS JUMPED TO THE DARKSIDE AND HIS PARTY WILL PUSH HIM TO SEND YOU ALL BACK HOME!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  17. Billy J Austin, TX

The primary is over, my horses were out early (Edwards/Biden/Clark) I am ready to get behind this guy and keep my fingers crossed he can be half the excecutive, his speeches make him sound like.

oh.. and next time… no party bosses and soft handed elites (super delegates) no caucuses (that only retired folks, students, and so rich they don't have to work for a living can go to) Some of us HAD to go straight to work or the military out of high school, that does not make our vote in this representative democracy any less valuable. But it DOES make it impossible for us to stay at a caucus that is held on a weekday for hours.

Wage slaves were left out of this completely. The democrats need to really start paying attention to regular people and not the party efette.(not elite… look it up)

June 4, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  18. Realist in Maryland

Yeah, but regardless 9/10 of them (if not all) will still vote for a Dem at the end of the day. So who really cares?

Preferences of small groups (women, blacks, white, asian, latinos, rich, poor, young old – whatever) do not dictate who is nominated.

June 4, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  19. Belle

I will not vote for Obama even if Clinton agrees to be his VP. He inspires hatred and animosity. He is deceitful and the worst kind of politician. He is even willing to resign from his church and shop for a politically correct church—if he really believed he would not be willing to denounce his pastor and resign from his church for political reasons. I don't care who he selects as VP; I will vote for McCain. Call me racist, not a true Democrat, or whatever. My responsibility is to vote for the person I believe will be the best President and that is not Obama.

June 4, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |