June 4th, 2008

Preston: Top Clinton supporters ready to help Obama

The big question now: Will Clinton offer her full support to Obama?

The big question now: Will Clinton offer her full support to Obama?

NEW YORK (CNN) – Over the next several days, one of the main questions will be how much help Hillary Clinton will offer Barack Obama in his effort to win back the White House, which has been under Republican control ever since her husband Bill Clinton left office in January 2001.

Two top Clinton supporters told me Tuesday evening they are ready to get behind Obama once the New York senator officially acknowledges that her Senate colleague has won the nomination.

James Carville said he is ready to open up his wallet to help Obama build a political warchest to take on John McCain in November.

“As soon as she gets out I am going to write him a check,” Carville said.

Clinton campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe said earlier in the day – prior to CNN projecting that Obama clinched the nomination – that he too would help out the Illinois senator.

“If he is the nominee, listen, I will help,” McAuliffe said. “I have helped Democrats now for 30 years, and I will continue to do so.”

Carville and McAuliffe both predicted that the two Democratic rivals would join together to help unify the party, but Carville noted that there needs to be a healing process as the party prepares for the general election.

“I think the easiest Democrat to win over is Senator Clinton,” Carville said. “She will be as helpful as she can be.”

But Carville also said that the burden to bring the party together needs to be a joint effort, noting that feelings from this competitive primary are “still kind of raw.”

“She is going to do her part, and he is going to have to do his part to,” Carville said.

Carville is a CNN contributor.

McAuliffe predicted that Clinton and Obama “are going to work very close together,” adding that “They both need each other.”

1. Darryl Miller

Yes, but what about Hillary if the table was turn Obama would have been behind Hillary Clinton......

June 3, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  2. Carla

Why are you switching to Barak?

wait until the convention and vote for Hillary, your vote still counting, this is not over until the very end!!

June 3, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  3. Jane L.

Top Clinton supporters may be poised to help Obama. That's more than I can say for us voters.

June 3, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  4. c

hilary if she is democrat will concede so that the divided democratic party can unify and united the country for the general election

June 3, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  5. TJ

After watching and comparing the two speeches from Clinton and Obama I must say that I am disgusted with Mrs. Clinton. I was thinking earlier that maybe Obama should make her his VP but on this night, when the nomination process is clearly over, she still compaigns?! It's over. Get behind the nominee before McBush sneaks into the White House.
    DEMOCRAT 08

June 3, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  6. one nation under god!!!!

Dont pat yourselves on the back just yet dems now your up against the big boys.

June 3, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  7. Independant now

I remember Carville saying that about two months ago.

June 3, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  8. Informed voter from florida

As a democratic woman, I feel like I have been totally disregarded. I will never support Obama and hope that women will unite in keeping him and the crooked DNC from continuing this sham of a candidacy.

June 3, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  9. Laura

IF Hillary EVER gets out !!

June 3, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  10. John Patrick

Hillary is not posting all the comments on her blog. She is posting only comments that are favourable to her.

June 3, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  11. VOTE AGAINST WRIGHT

tooo baddddddd.....................I will now vote McCain

June 3, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  12. Etta Pisano

I just left a comment asking Hillary to concede on her blog and it disappeared into cyberspace, never got posted.

I said that I have been a Hillary Fan and supporter and an ardent feminist, but that her behavior now is hurting the party. She needs to lead her supporters to understand why it's more important to put a Democrat in the White House than to put her in the White House.

Interesting how my comment never appeared. Just disappeared.

I think the party is getting hurt by her behavior. If we lose in November, it will hurt more than the party, but the whole country. We simply cannot afford another 4 years of failed Republican policies.

June 3, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  13. working girl

Time to start healing. Democrats unite to defeat McSame.

June 3, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  14. BB Florida

There will be no racist in the White House.Explain yourself Barack.Us White Clinton Supporters will vote for Mcain.You hate white people and we no it.I urge all clinton sopporters to vote Mcain in Nov.He doesn't belong in the White House.Who is the real Barack Nobama???

June 3, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  15. charles

Hillary,
    Why are you wasting your time for the V.P. Why not take the Liberman way, to hell the Democratic Party?

June 3, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  16. TWoman

Why CNN do you not as other stations have the correct delegate tally at 2143 as other Cable News Networks and Clinton at 1919???????

June 3, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  17. Christopher

I want the dream ticket... I really wanted it the other way around but either way I want it!!!
    NO MCCAIN!!!!

June 3, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  18. me votin man

let hillary help heal the wound without any self interest , if she really is a democrat.

June 3, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  19. Rick in GA

I guess you can vote for John McCain and the END of your right to choose as he brings in new supreme court justices that WILL work to over turn ROE V WADE. WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  20. Eleanor

I am listening to Senator Obamas speech and he still astounds me
    how he rises above the frey to stay positive!!
    You deserve the nomination sir for what an honorable man you are
    Sorry to say you cant say that about Hillary
    I was very disappointed in her speech and demeanor
    She never even had the grace to congratulate him on the nomination
    I realize she worked hard and it must be painful but how sad she could not congratulate him on the nomination
    Even in the face of defeat she instigates divisivness

June 3, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  21. Independant now

I went to hillaryclinton.com and wrote her an essay on why I will not vote for Obama. I encourage all of Hillary's supporters to do the same. Let's keep her fighting!

No Obama!

June 3, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  22. Melanie

Obama DEFINITELY would have supported Hilary. He has said it time and time again. The goal is to get a Democrat into the White House. I think it's sad that Hilary will lose the nomination, but that many of her supporters will be too bitter to support the winner.

June 3, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  23. Tim

Na na na na
    Na na na na
    Hey...goodbye!

Now, go crawl back under a rock, Hillary.

June 3, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  24. JJ

While Hillary says she wants to hear from everyone. She is not posting what every one is telling her in her blog.

June 3, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  25. Kim

Everyone but Hillary herself. I saw her speech. The poor delusional woman thinks she won tonight.

June 3, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |