June 4th, 2008

Preston: Top Clinton supporters ready to help Obama

The big question now: Will Clinton offer her full support to Obama?

The big question now: Will Clinton offer her full support to Obama?

NEW YORK (CNN) – Over the next several days, one of the main questions will be how much help Hillary Clinton will offer Barack Obama in his effort to win back the White House, which has been under Republican control ever since her husband Bill Clinton left office in January 2001.

Two top Clinton supporters told me Tuesday evening they are ready to get behind Obama once the New York senator officially acknowledges that her Senate colleague has won the nomination.

James Carville said he is ready to open up his wallet to help Obama build a political warchest to take on John McCain in November.

“As soon as she gets out I am going to write him a check,” Carville said.

Clinton campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe said earlier in the day – prior to CNN projecting that Obama clinched the nomination – that he too would help out the Illinois senator.

“If he is the nominee, listen, I will help,” McAuliffe said. “I have helped Democrats now for 30 years, and I will continue to do so.”

Carville and McAuliffe both predicted that the two Democratic rivals would join together to help unify the party, but Carville noted that there needs to be a healing process as the party prepares for the general election.

“I think the easiest Democrat to win over is Senator Clinton,” Carville said. “She will be as helpful as she can be.”

But Carville also said that the burden to bring the party together needs to be a joint effort, noting that feelings from this competitive primary are “still kind of raw.”

“She is going to do her part, and he is going to have to do his part to,” Carville said.

Carville is a CNN contributor.

McAuliffe predicted that Clinton and Obama “are going to work very close together,” adding that “They both need each other.”

1. jm

I feel so badly that Hillary won the vote, but had the nomination hijacked by the superdelegates and DNC. Now the dems deserve to lose in November, and I'll do my part!!!! McCain has always been an independent thinker who does right by our country. I will gladly vote for him.

June 3, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  2. Amir

She just wants to be in the race for white house. If defeated now, she would beg to be VP and try her luck after 8 years.

June 3, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  3. Michael

What is so special about Hillary Clinton that everything has to be her way. I hope Obama tells her to take extortion and narcissism and jump in the lake. I'd rather go it alone than have her "me, me, me, I, I, I" until November let alone as V. P. for four years. God what and ego.

June 3, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  4. Angela Hunter

Clinton math is trickory. Don't believe the lies(hype)

June 3, 2008 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  5. Debbie McQueen-Dothan, AL

This is one of the greatest nights of my life...I shall sleep well tonight. I am just greatful to the people in this country who have actually risen above the petty racism and bitterness to vote on issues and ideas.

June 3, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  6. Fired up!

It's time people! I know a lot of people hate the way things have gone...and that is ok. However, it is time to put the hate and anger aside to do what is best for the country...for our children!!!! People have been persecuted, even killed in this country for small things like the color of their skin and their sexual orientation. but most of those people have learned to move on and forgive and keep going and doing what is best. How dare some people let the small things that have gone wrong in this campaign keep them from voting their conscience. Voting for a man that would WILLINGLY send your child to war and then refuse to help them when and IF they come home. I wish I WOULD allow John Mccain send my son off to war all because of a group of people who were mad that their candidate didn't win? That is just sick....or maybe some of you don't have children or just don't care about the future.

June 3, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  7. Franky

"As soon as she gets out I am going to write him a check,” Carville said."

Checks??? What the??? Who uses checks???? I thought is all cash baby!! Is all cash, LOL!!!

June 3, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  8. JWD

Attn : ALL DISGRUNTLED CLINTON SUPPORTERS;

PLEASE REMEMBER; IF YOUR NOT PART OF THE SOULUTION,
    THEN YOU ARE DEFFIIATELY PART OF THE
    THE PROBLEM...
    PLEASE RECONSIDER YOUR THREATS TO VOTE FOR McCAIN...IF HE WINS: IT'S YOUR FAULT & YOU WILL HAVE TO DEAL W/ IT...
    IF YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT VOTE FOR OBAMA, THEN PLEASE JUST DONT VOTE!!!!!
    DO NOT SPOIL IT FOR TH REST OF US BECAUSE YOU FEEL SLIGHTED

June 3, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  9. D Nelson

For all the talk of Hillary wanting to count all the votes and the importance of the rights of hearing the peoples voice, she certainly disregards a lot of voters (all the caucus states and all the Obama supporters in Michigan) in order to reach her popular vote "victory". If you count everyone, Obama has a good 300,000-500,000 votes up on her.

And have you heard the latest news. Obama has a double digit lead over Clinton in the latest polls in California – a state she won in the primaries. Her support is not growing – its waning.

June 3, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  10. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

NO VP SLOT FOR THE CLINTONS

SEND THEM PACKING

June 3, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  11. Lyz in MD

To the ILL-informed voter from Florida.

Real women, who are real democrats (and not Dittohead sock puppets or Dixiecrats and you are one of the other, guaranteed) do not want a return to the bad old days of back-alley abortions. We do not want a hundred years of horrendous violence against Iraqui women and girls. We do not want a hundred years of the increased violence against women that the war causes at home, especially when soldiers with PTSD do not receive proper care.

That is why we will work to prevent McBush, who would cause all of these things to happen.

And don't dare call yourself a feminist. You don't care how many women are raped, butchered, and battered in service of your nauseating infantile spite.

You make me sick.

June 3, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  12. Glenn

The only thing that Hillary cares about is Hillary! It is all about Hillary. She once again showed that she lacks character and intgrity to make the critical decision. She showed tonight that this election was about Hillary, not the Democratic Party, not her supporters and certainly not about the country. Hillary is truly pathetic!

June 3, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  13. WOMAN THAT BELIEVES HILLARY IS A PARTY SPOILER!

HILLARY SUPPORTERS ARE TOO MUCH LIKE HER THEY ARE UNTRUSTWORTHY. THEY CAN NEVER TELL THE TRUTH. THEY ARE ALL ABOUT THEMSELVES. THEY ARE DIVISIVE. THEY WILL NOT FIT OR FLOW WITH OBAMA'S. THEY ARE OLD STYLE POLITICS OBAMA'S IS ABOUT CHANGE FROM THEM, THEY ARE THE VERY ONES WE WANT CHANGE FROM !

WE DO NOT WANT HILLARY AS VP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  14. Griff

I want to remmember this date...... 3rd of June 2008 20:17 Pacific Time..... History was turned upside down..... Go USA....

June 3, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  15. Harry

So sad for Dem. Congratulation Sen. Mc Cain, you're our next president not Obama. I will vote for you.

June 3, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  16. Rj

GO DETROIT PISTONS!!!!! I THINK WE CAN STILL WIN THE 2008 CHAMPIONSHIP!!! EVEN WHEN IT'S OVER, IT'S NOT OVER. GO PISTONS I'M BEHIND YOU ALL THE WAY!!!

June 3, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  17. JT, AZ

*Earlier, on NBC's "Today," Clinton campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe had said that once Obama gets the majority of convention delegates, "I think Hillary Clinton will congratulate him and call him the nominee." *

Notice that he said "delegates", not "votes".

Obama needs to get to 2210 before they'll concede, if then.

June 3, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  18. No shame or integrity

Hilliary has earned my HATE!
    She's actually crazier than I thought she was. Watch your back Obama!

Congratulations Obama!!!!!

June 3, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  19. vic oilsteems

Whatever you think of Obama he is Einstein compared to Forrest Gump Bush!

June 3, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  20. Michael

I hope you all realize that these so called Hillary supporters or Rush Limbaugh listeners engaged in his Operation Chaos. Pretty funny how the right wing extremists never change.

June 3, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  21. Susan

They should all turn to Barack Obama. Her speech tonight showed what a truly egotistical, petty, and sore loser that she is. she tried to steal a historice moment from the American people by her refusal to concede. I was a one time supporter of hers, but tonight made me realize how glad I am I chnaged my support to Obama. I hope the Democratice Party puts the hammer down on her and her spitefulness and pettiness. This speech was a prime example of why she is not fit to be President.

June 3, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  22. s.boat

If Hillary Could Spin All Of Her Lies Into Gold She Could Pay Back That Twenty Million!

June 3, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  23. David

this has been way over for a long time. Who really was hoping that she ran this into the ground. Her own political party members were coming just short of telling her to stop.

I am questioning why Bill and Hilary Clinton have continued to spend millions and millions of dollars on something that has been clear to everyone and statistically insurmountable.

How do we take fiscal responsibility statements seriously from the Clinton speeh for a reason to be in the race?

June 3, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  24. democrat nc

make her sec. of state NOT VP....

June 3, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  25. Philly

Come on you so call women who are so bent on a woman being president, then you aren't looking at the big picture. Not taking anything from Hillary, if you are going to look at just a woman or are going to look at America.

June 3, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |