June 4th, 2008

Preston: Top Clinton supporters ready to help Obama

The big question now: Will Clinton offer her full support to Obama?

The big question now: Will Clinton offer her full support to Obama?

NEW YORK (CNN) – Over the next several days, one of the main questions will be how much help Hillary Clinton will offer Barack Obama in his effort to win back the White House, which has been under Republican control ever since her husband Bill Clinton left office in January 2001.

Two top Clinton supporters told me Tuesday evening they are ready to get behind Obama once the New York senator officially acknowledges that her Senate colleague has won the nomination.

James Carville said he is ready to open up his wallet to help Obama build a political warchest to take on John McCain in November.

“As soon as she gets out I am going to write him a check,” Carville said.

Clinton campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe said earlier in the day – prior to CNN projecting that Obama clinched the nomination – that he too would help out the Illinois senator.

“If he is the nominee, listen, I will help,” McAuliffe said. “I have helped Democrats now for 30 years, and I will continue to do so.”

Carville and McAuliffe both predicted that the two Democratic rivals would join together to help unify the party, but Carville noted that there needs to be a healing process as the party prepares for the general election.

“I think the easiest Democrat to win over is Senator Clinton,” Carville said. “She will be as helpful as she can be.”

But Carville also said that the burden to bring the party together needs to be a joint effort, noting that feelings from this competitive primary are “still kind of raw.”

“She is going to do her part, and he is going to have to do his part to,” Carville said.

Carville is a CNN contributor.

McAuliffe predicted that Clinton and Obama “are going to work very close together,” adding that “They both need each other.”

1. Juan from L.A., CA

Clinton's speech was so disgusting and divisive!!! Please Obama don't give her even the chance!!! Its about CHANGE!!!

June 3, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  2. Ian

*sigh* All these Clinton supporters are so childish. You're like the small child saying that if you don't get to play, no one gets to play. If you vote McCain in, that's fine–I'm British, I couldn't care less who the next US President is–but if you elect him in and you lose your house, and your sons and daughters continue to die in Iraq, and you can't afford your parents' medical bills when they're aging and sick, you have absolutely NO ONE to blame but your own stubborn, bitter selves.

June 3, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  3. MRS. H FROM STONE MOUNTAIN

I feel that Hillary Clinton was a sore loser and still divisive and nasty. The things that she said was adverse and ugly. She is a person that does not like herself. She is spoiled and can't believe that she lost to a black man. She is holding on to her voters and delegates and I think that this shows that she cares nothing about the Democratic Party, just herself and what she wants. She will never be the VP of anything unless it's her own company.

June 3, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  4. honesty

She has every right to wait. She carries with her 18 million voters and a sore taste in her mouth from the unfairness of this election from the pudints to elder "old Washington" ultra liberals who tried to shoved the inferior candidate down our throaths. Hillary, and her voters, were subjected to humiliation, a disloyal competition, and every possible adversity which gave the inferior candidate all the breaks. We Hillary supporters are not a herd of sheep that will follow BO when asked just because. ......
    He had no substance then and he has no substance now. Just scripted oratory. If Hillary runs for VP with him, I will be very dissapointed. She should complete her senate seat and then run for Governor of NY state. That is what I think she should do.

June 3, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  5. xddy4u

First, how can anyone say the nomination was stolen from Hillary?
    The reason why they say this is because they do not understand popular votes and delegates. Popular votes only get you the proportion of delegates that your popular vote of THAT state apportion you. The number of delegates Hillary got, was proportion to her popular votes, state by state. Every time you go to another state, your popular vote is Zero. You do not add all your votes from all the states and say I have more popular votes. The system just doesn't work that way. So please get educated on the voting system, and you want be making dumb statesments about the nomination being stolen based on popular votes. All candidates that lost the nomination says they are willing to fall behind the nominee, not Hillary. She's got to decide on "where to go from here", like she's not even a part of the party. As far as I'm concern, she can go to H-LL. Obama '08

June 3, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  6. Bob Stephens

Hillary Clinton tonight showed what a mean spirited and selfish person she really is, bu not congratulating Barack for winning the nomination. She is as phony as a three dollar bill. It will be such a pleasure to see her slowly disappear from national politics.

June 3, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  7. Yogi

Ding dong the witch is dead. Obama best not put The Clintons on the ticket. He'd have to sleep with one eye open!
    Obama/Sebellius '08

June 3, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  8. AMERIKA

Even thou we may have a Afican American for president this country is still extremely racist, you can tell by some of these comments. Obama is clearly the best man for the job. All these folks bragging about how much experience at running the country and look where it has gotten us!! Gas prices at a all time high, in a war that we should'nt even be in and probably the most hated country on the planet all in just 8 years, Wow, that proves that experience is'nt everything is it? And for those of you that would even consider voting for McCain because Hillery did'nt win this has got to be one of the most racist hateful thing you could do to the country you all claim to love so much, I guess anything is better than having a Black man as your President!!!

June 3, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  9. spencer

Quit bashing Hillary and give her, her time and a little respect wouldn't hurt a little...Sick of you guys bashing her... Talk about biased......

June 3, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  10. Doreen Augusta Maine

I have to say that I am disgusted with Hillary Clinton's speech tonight. It was self serving and extremely rude toward Barack Obama. Would it have really killed to admit that he is the presumptive Democratic nominee for President of the Untied States. She is so disrespectful of Barack Obama. In my opinion, in order to receive respect one must give respect. I certainly do not respect Hillary Clinton mainly because she is so self centered. She really does not care about anyone but herself - that is apparent from her speech tonight.

June 3, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  11. Clinton Supporter

First tell Hillary supporters to "grow up." Then tell them to vote for Obama. Yeah. That technique will work.

June 3, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  12. Rick in GA

STAN in (NC):

LIKE BUSH DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 3, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  13. spencer

Shut those people up now......

June 3, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  14. Why

My question is why would he want them? Look how poorly they ran her campaign and he would want them to help him? My god he is nuts.

June 3, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  15. Josephine

What a difference between the speaches of Clinton and Obama. For Clinton it was all about herself. Obama embrace everybody except McSame. She is too vindicative, too selfish, she thinks she is God gift to the world. As I already said the fairy that supervised her birth forget to endow her with grace, humility but gave a big dose of envy, hatred and jealousy. A woman like her is impossible to satisfy and will never be really happy. She is a shrew. Her thirst for power is "incommensurable." meaning a thirst no one can satisfy that's make scary to be in her company

June 3, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  16. LaRue

This is a DEMOCRATIC PARTY comming together, so Hiliary get ready, we need you as much as you need us to defeat John Mclain

June 3, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  17. WI voter

Since Sen. Clinton won't let me post the following comment on her website, I guess I'll post it here....

Congratulations, Sen. Clinton, on this long and historic race. Thank you for your service and for what you have done to propel women forward.

You asked to hear from us: Please concede the race now that the elections are over and all states and territories have voted and Sen. Obama has reached the required amount of delegates, so that the party, and the country can move forward. We simply cannot afford not to have a Democrat in the White House next January. Please help to unite our country behind Sen. Obama and help us to begin to achieve the great things we both believe that America is capable of.

Gratefully,

WI Voter

June 3, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  18. Jack

I logged onto hillaryclinton.com, as she asked in her speach, to give my opinion she should drop out. The only option is to send a message of support to her. What's up with that?

June 3, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  19. Tim

If you say you'll vote for McCain just because Hillary didn't get the nomination, then it's obvious that you have no clue what you're voting for.

You're voting for a person and not the issues. You're voting for a personality and not an ideal. If you believed in the issues and the ideals of the Democratic party, then there's no way you could vote Republican.

And when you vote for a person, you are always going to be disappointed.

Try to think bigger. I know that's hard for many of the uneducated Clinton supporters, but you've got to think bigger than a person.

June 3, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  20. Terry Richmond, Va.

For those Clinton supporters who willnot support Obama; I say you must have enjoyed these seven years with Bush as president. I am so proud of Obama and I hope he continues to be an upstanding america. The world is watching. If we cannot come together how can we work together against our enemies?

June 3, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  21. Teresa, Georgia

HRC could have reached out a little more and share this night with Obama and talk about working to bring the party together. I am very dissapointed in her remarks. She talked mainly about herself and what she wants. Selfish of her...a real turn off.

June 3, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  22. Jason, TX

She could have graciously dropped out tonight and congradulated him. She's amazingly arrogant...

June 3, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  23. Scott

Wow,
    What a great speech from Democratic presidential candidate Obama, he spoke to all Americans unlike Clinton. I didn't like how Clinton continuously talked about herself. Me this, me that, I have fought for this, I have fought for that, my eight-teen million votes, my states. Obama was very generous to everyone and spoke about "us", together can do it. If he can't unify the country than I don't know who can with or without Senator Clinton and her supporters. I am an Obama supporter but I personally like Senator Clinton and would support either candidate. I still wouldn't mind her being VP, but she needs to help the Democratic Party unite and stop with the (what I believe to be) diviseness.
    Scott, IN

June 3, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  24. I don't get it.

I don't get the "Vote McCain" if Hillary doesn't win. Wasn't the point of BOTH candidates to get Republicans out of the White House?

If you vote for him, NO COMPLAINING about the outcome. Ok?

You know you don't have to vote at all. . .yeah, voting for McCain will REALLY show Obama. . .and the REST of the U.S.

June 3, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  25. Dinesh

Did you see that speach? I am shocked, that Hillary had the "chutzpah" as Harold Ickes would say, to not even acknowledge Obama's win. If she's fighting for the nomination still, doesn't she realize she has offended all Obama supporters? I knew she wouldn't concede, but you can't hide behind ignorance.

June 3, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |