June 4th, 2008

Preston: Top Clinton supporters ready to help Obama

The big question now: Will Clinton offer her full support to Obama?

The big question now: Will Clinton offer her full support to Obama?

NEW YORK (CNN) – Over the next several days, one of the main questions will be how much help Hillary Clinton will offer Barack Obama in his effort to win back the White House, which has been under Republican control ever since her husband Bill Clinton left office in January 2001.

Two top Clinton supporters told me Tuesday evening they are ready to get behind Obama once the New York senator officially acknowledges that her Senate colleague has won the nomination.

James Carville said he is ready to open up his wallet to help Obama build a political warchest to take on John McCain in November.

“As soon as she gets out I am going to write him a check,” Carville said.

Clinton campaign chairman Terry McAuliffe said earlier in the day – prior to CNN projecting that Obama clinched the nomination – that he too would help out the Illinois senator.

“If he is the nominee, listen, I will help,” McAuliffe said. “I have helped Democrats now for 30 years, and I will continue to do so.”

Carville and McAuliffe both predicted that the two Democratic rivals would join together to help unify the party, but Carville noted that there needs to be a healing process as the party prepares for the general election.

“I think the easiest Democrat to win over is Senator Clinton,” Carville said. “She will be as helpful as she can be.”

But Carville also said that the burden to bring the party together needs to be a joint effort, noting that feelings from this competitive primary are “still kind of raw.”

“She is going to do her part, and he is going to have to do his part to,” Carville said.

Carville is a CNN contributor.

McAuliffe predicted that Clinton and Obama “are going to work very close together,” adding that “They both need each other.”

1. nate

I am astonished by the degree of racism that still exist in America. It is time for us as a country to come together as Americans.

June 3, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  2. s.boat

Hillary Clinton Will In Down In History. . . . I Take That Back. . . History Will Forget All About Her!

June 3, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  3. Obama 08

I have never posted but I feel compelled tonight. Hillary went too far and she has disgusted me. She is incapable of being graceful, thoughtful and has no respect for Obama. He should not by any means make her the VP... she can not and will not SHOVE this down his throat.
    I do not want to hear from here again. I am ashamed of having her as my senator.

June 3, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  4. Juvie3

Hillary knows Obama has the nomination, but she can not concede now because of two reasons: she wants her platform to be recognized through to the convention (aka Health Care) and she still has to negotiate a deal where Obama helps her pay off her campaign debt (which is actually very common in presidential races...I believe two or three previous candidates this year has been helped out by a remaining candidate) and by staying in the race she keeps some leverage. But give it a couple days or a week when she ties all loose ends...and she'll serve the party right.

June 3, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  5. Anony-mouse

The Trolls have come out in force today! I am betting that 90% of the so-called Democrats 'switching' to McCain were never Democrats – just trolls. What is sad is that so many have fallen for it and started calling names back. That means they win!

If the latest polls are to be believed, Obama leads McCain nationally – therefore all of the threats of crossovers to McCain are just empty rhetoric.

June 3, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  6. Clinton Supporter

I love the way Obama crowns himself. I think Napoleon did that.

June 3, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  7. Charles

She needs to quit........go away.........I am tired of her and her attitude. There are other women out there who can help the Democratic party in November.......and she is NOT one of them.

June 3, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  8. Park More, New Orleans

If Obama is the real Nominee it will be a big mess.... Go and read his wife' thesis, you will be surprise and I am sure you will change your mind and push for Hillary or Mccain

June 3, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  9. Less Austin, Texas

To all you Hillary supporters:

I hope you think hard on the direction you choose to go, because if McCain becomes president, you are going to have to develop a secure insight of your children being sent to war in the near future, and for what? Then the consequences of what your children will face coming out of a war.

McCain is all for war, which equals death and destruction.

June 3, 2008 11:29 pm at 11:29 pm |
  10. FL Voters

I am not a Democratic candidate supporter. I am the best candidate supporter. If it is not Clinton, it is McCain

June 3, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  11. Jolene

Perhaps Hillary will think this over tonight and just didn't want to disappoint her supporters but I found her speech very arrogant, especially when both Obama and McCain spoke very graciously of her.

June 3, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  12. America

I wonder how Obama can deliver all the promises of his campaign. He is politician, promises that will never happen!!!

Hillary, you should not withdraw. You are only counting the votes from affiliated Democrats, how about the non-affiliated voters.

June 3, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  13. brewme

I hope and pray that Hillary continues the fight. McCain is sitting back and enjoying the squabble. He has had a tremendous head start. The DNC has made a mockery of their contest. They have a nominee who can never be elected in this country. The Hillary supporters want her as VP. That would be suicide for the ticket. The country is ready to be rid of the crooked Clintons.

Keep up the fight to ensure a Rebublican victory.

In regards to the promises, neither Democratic candidate can deliver without raising everyone's taxes. We are are the governments wallet. Don't be so blind to think the government is the savior. The global warming warming bill will make sure gasoline prices go to $6 a gallon. Electric prices will increase dramaticly. What makes anyone think that the Dems bill will not make this happen? Health care? How many billions would that take? Who is going to pay for that, (you and I) Do you want more of the same? If so, go Obama!!!

McCain 08

June 4, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  14. Ed

Stop talking about Hillary after tonight. She no longer matters. She is done.

June 4, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  15. Baby Boomer

I was behind an OBAMA/CLINTON ticket until her speech tonight. It seemed it was all about HER not the party and she did nothing to reach out to Obama. She was still saying she is the better candidate. How can you say that when you lose?

June 4, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  16. Vernon

LOL....These aren't hillary supporters.....They're republicans in disguise!!!......LOLOLOL

June 4, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  17. Monica for Obama in Indiana

Dear informed voter from Florida, All of you should be counting your blessings for the one-half vote that was given to you. And to the "White women" who think that your vote is so important. Please stop fooling yourselves. It isn't

Go Obama 08

June 4, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  18. Dee

God has answered my prayers. Barack Obama has won the nomination. He gave a wonderful speech tonight. Too bad that Hillary thought only of herself in her speech to her supporters. Sounds like she'll continue her drive, instead of backing Obama. Tonight was not about her....she lost. She is just a poor loser, and will do anything to make people think she's much better than Obama. Well, she better straighten up. Because it will only hurt her in the future. (not that I care.)

June 4, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  19. Dave, Santa Barbara CA

We can't afford to bring Bill and his harem along.

June 4, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  20. Tupac

As an independent voter McCain was my choice until I learned about Obama. Today I was even open to the idea of giving Hillary the VP. But after watching the 3 speeches not only is Obama the right candidate Hillary and McCain same old tired politics. The bitter Hillary and her supporters should go all the way to Denver because she does not deserve to be the VP.

June 4, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  21. Lisa S

Missouri will NOT be a red state this year...I refuse to live in a state that goes backwards instead of taking a leap of faith and move forward.

Obama gave an inspiring speech tonight. I have not heard Clinton's speech, but apparently it was self serving and not unifying...very disappointing.

I used to like John McCain a few years ago, but the more I have read about his policies, the more disappointed I am in him as well.

I will dance on the political grave of George "W" Bush...too bad he still has about 6 months to ruin this country.

I do want a more visionary president; I will fully support Obama.

***from a Middle-aged white Midwestern female***

June 4, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  22. What if?

as i read these comments from clinton supporters, i have to say most of you are evil. I see why most of you don't trust anyone that does not look like you.

clinton speech tells it all, she was never for uniting the party, it always been about her, her. it don't matter if she lies, make false promises for the good of the party.

clinton speech tells it all, but as long as she is white, you will except her lame excuses, lies and her using you as a bargain chip. i hope when she finish using you, you will stop being color struck. she was never thinking of the good of the party. she only wanted to collect enough voters so she can wager them off for her own selfish want .....dummy.

June 4, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  23. Jason B

Please drop out Hillary.

June 4, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  24. Raine

I am so sick of hearing about the "poor way" Clinton has been treated.
    I thought she was so tough!!! Why is her and Bill always crying about the "bad way she is being treated. She is acting like a spoiled brat!!!
    That is why women never get in the White House because they are figgen big babies.
    I feel Obama was treated unfairly but you don't hear him whining and crying like "THE CLINTONS".Get on with your lives and bow out graciously well you still can!!
    Shame on you Hilary you couldn't even congratulate Obama tonight, and he spoke so nicely about you!!! SHAME ON YOU!!!!
    That is why Obama will be in the White House and not you!!
    Goodbye, and good luck in the future, now that Bill has made a spectacle of himself again, and again and again!!!

June 4, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  25. Amanda

Hillary is not posting all the comments. Only the ones that tell her to go on to Denver. She is a nut. And all you Clintonites need to go and get therapy. Its over. Lets move on. If you wont vote for Obama, then just go away, far away.

June 4, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |