June 4th, 2008

Warner and Kaine to campaign with Obama in Virginia

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.va.gi.jpg caption="Warner and Kaine are set to campaign with Obama Thursday."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - Presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama will kick off his general election campaign in the purple state of Virginia on Thursday – and two of the state’s most prominent Democrats, Mark Warner and Tim Kaine, will be along for the ride.

Another high-profile Virginia Democrat, Sen. Jim Webb, is remaining mum on whether he will appear with Obama tomorrow, even though the newly minted nominee has scheduled an event in rural southwest Virginia, his home turf. Webb has yet to endorse a candidate.

Warner, the popular former governor who is now the frontrunner for the Senate seat left vacant by retiring Sen. John Warner, will campaign with Obama tomorrow in the city of Bristol, just over the Tennessee border. Warner was elected governor of Virginia in 2001 partly because he worked to win over rural voters in the southwestern part of the state, the very place Obama will campaign tomorrow.

Obama won the state’s primary handily on February 12, but he lost overwhelmingly to Hillary Clinton in the state’s rural Ninth Congressional District by 33 points, the first hints of a pattern of vulnerability among white, working-class voters that continued to nag him throughout later primary states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

Gov. Kaine will appear briefly with Obama tomorrow evening at a rally in Manassas. The event will take place at Nissan Pavilion, a 25,000-seat concert venue in Manassas that in recent weeks has hosted acts like Radiohead and Kanye West.

Kaine has been one of Obama’s most ardent backers, and was one of the first prominent Democratic leaders to endorse the Illinois senator’s presidential bid in 2007.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. J. Brooklyn

I am an Obama supporter and I must say, people should ease up on Hillary. She is competed in a historic race as the first woman to receive such a tremendous response and almost 18 million votes. I think she should be applauded for that!

The bottom line is she has a tremendous amount of support in this party and should be a contender for VP. Nothing against Edwards and Richardson but they could not deliver the votes when they were running, so why do we think it will work out better to have them as a runningmate.

I think that we should not rule out solutions that will unify our party if they can deliver a win for us dems in November. McCain is horrible and must be stopped.

I am constantly becoming more aware that since McCain has been in Washington for so long people do not really look into what he represents. He is against a woman's right to choose, for privatization of social security and then there is Iraq. I think that those Clinton supporters who say they will vote McCain in the fall are not real dems.

Obama/ ? 08 Party Unity

June 4, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  2. Clinton Supporter

Barack, dude, lighten up. We know you were so nervous over Clinton's win in WVa that you staged a smack-down event to steal her thunder. So, HC wins her last primary (she's been wiping the floor with you time after time here), then wants to thank her supporters.

What does Barack do? He stages a mega-event in Minnesota and literally CROWNS HIMSELF. Forget the last two state primaries and the people who waited 6 months to vote in them. He's so scared something might happen, he does it for himself.

The DNC just dragged you limping across the finish line, which you couldn't do for yourself. Somehow they figured out that Edwards and others' votes in Michigan were really for you. Brilliant – and I bet that cost plenty. You should be grateful, dude.

I can't imagine why Hillary should play your I"m The KING game just because you behave badly. Take a hike, man. "I am the NOMINEE."
    So what? You'll be the nominee in August. Jump up and down all you want – what an arrogant baby you are!

Hillary will get around to you shortly. She just pumped you up to the right wing Israeli LOBBYISTS you pretend you like. Take it and shut up!

June 4, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  3. Affluent Supporter

All you HRC Supporter...Stop crying!!! Enough is enough. As much as I support Obama, I almost wish McCain would win so that the economy would go down hill and all you so call "Hard working Americans, White Americans" would suffer the consequences and wonder where your next meal is coming from. And let's not forget about those hardcore women's right activist that would not vote for Obama. Let see if McCain gives a hoot about you and your freedom of choice.

If McCain wins and the economy keeps sliding down hill and there's no end in sight for the war in Iraq, I'll be laughing at all of you idiots who voted for McCain. It doesn't affect me as much because I'm rich!!!

Affluent Supporter

June 4, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  4. Pistoff

It's too bad those kooks down in Christiansburg are so hung up on Nader. Virgina is coming around with the new wave of Democrats.

June 4, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  5. rusty

The republicans are already making campaign commercials using Hillary in her own words degrading Barack. So, how can she be a VP for Barack, when the Republicans will be using her own words to campaign against him. For once in her life, she needs to be held accountable for her actions. And, by the way, it is time for her to concede.

June 4, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  6. suz

A debate between McCain and Obama would be great. Obama would have to think on his feet–without a speech writer–which we know he cannot do. McCain sure can though.

Former Democratic for Clinton, Republican as of yesterday!

June 4, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  7. Mark

Republicans will make mince meat out of Obama. This is a sad day for the Democrats. I'm switching my party affiliation from Democrat to Independent. I'm not voting for Obama, I'm not voting for McCain – I'm not voting... I'm not contributing to having one weak leader follow another weak leader.

June 4, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  8. TrueBlue

HILLARY 2008 !!!

Hillary you must run Independent, or we must vote for McCain. We moderate democrats will never vote for osama and his thug communists.

HILLARY INDEPENDENT PRESIDENT 2008 !!!

June 4, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  9. Lola

Never has a nominee been forced to chose a vp. Obama has worked very hard over the past months in the field and at the end of the day he has earned the right to select whomever he wants.

June 4, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  10. Amy

I am a white. middle age woman. I was a Hillary supporter, however she has brought the proverbial 'I am woman, hear me roar' statement to another level.

It is very manipulative and destructive, the way she acted last night. The issue is not Hillary, Obama, or McCain.. it is really the Economy, War, healtcare, Education and Alternative Fuel Options..

McCain will keep the tax cut for the hard working average rich American. While the middle may not have tax increases, but they will have no job.

McCain will keep us in Iraq, he will make a stupid Bush statement and start a war with either Iran or N. Korea becore the end of his second term.

McCain does not want to provide healthcare to everyone, but prioritize it which will keep those who have no insurance without insurance.

Many American cities have high school drop out rates at 30+%. McCain will continue with no child left behind, he will not invest in education, even with vets because the republican goal is to not educate our young people. Therefore, when Barack explains diplomacy, the youth will not be educated enough to know that there is other options besides fighting.

McCain loves War! He will continue down the Axis of Evil path.

June 4, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  11. 3rd Party

I think Kenya just declared yesterday a Kenyan National Holiday. Wonder if Kenya will becoma a U.S. Possession now? Maybe Kenya will become the 51st state even before Puerto Rico.

(Satirism, wink wink)

June 4, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  12. Mike Mc

So some bitter Clinton supporters are supporting McCain now? Stop worrying , she will have a voice! Unfortunately it sounds like alot of her supporters are content with slicing off their nose to spite their faces ...

June 4, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  13. Cheryl

I think Hillary Clinton should concede and leave the Democrate party, period. ..and take her supporters with her. The Dems have thrown her and her family under the bus and the media has run over her. The dems and media are so shameful I do not understand why Sen. Clinton would want to be bothered. I will never vote Democrat again and my vote will be a vote against the CNN and MSNBC and Democrat party.

The Clinton's should ride into the sunset and enjoy the rest of their lives and tell their supported to go to McCain.

June 4, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  14. Pound Gap VA native

Southwest Virginia will not vote for Obama even if Mark Warner is the VP. He is toast in this area.

His church of 20 years preaches hatred. No church I have ever been to does that.

June 4, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  15. thegoreyears

yeah, Jane, you go vote for McCain and set women's issues back a few hundred years with his appointment of the next Supreme court justice. You go girl!

June 4, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  16. N orman Solow

I just heard it reported that Hillary will officially drop out of the presidential race on Friday.

BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Norman

June 4, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  17. Dave

Hillary Dems will vote MCCAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  18. thegoreyears

suz, why don't you tell us your WHOLE story? Which is, I am sure, the following:

Former Republican, then fake Democratic for Clinton, Republican as of yesterday!

June 4, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  19. Chris, Germany

If you are a Clinton Supporter, you are sharing her democratic views and agenda. The ONLY logical thing to do is to support Obama as he is much closer to that agenda than McCain will ever be!

A vote for McCain is irresponsible. Do you want your great country to continue to diminish in power? Do you want more of your fellow countrymen to loose jobs to overseas companies, because the US are not competitive? Do you wish for your economy to go broke? Do you want more fellow Americans to die in a war that can never be won, or else it would have been long ago? Well, then go ahead and vote for McCain, or stay home cause "Obama took your playtoy".

What America now needs, and this is the most important thing it needs, is a new wind, fresh ideas and policies, a fresh attempt at tackling the most pressing issues and challenges facing your country today. Don't throw away your future by putting McCain in the White House, or helping him by staying home. Go out and vote, go out and do what's best for your country, your economy, your children's future, your status and role in the world, your security, your healthcare coverage and your future – vote Democrat, vote for Obama!

June 4, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  20. Denise P Quinton

Jim Webb is against women in military uniform so that would be someone great to campaign with OBAMA, I know that for a fact as I remember his comments regarding female USNA graduates! So he should really improve the status of how women relate to Obama.....do some research CNN and see if you can come up with something that is not against Hillary for a change....you seem to go so much out of your way to moderate comments against Obama and his entire followers can say anything and post the rudest, most controversial comments but the moment Hillary backers post, you either remove it or block it for some unknown reason...

June 4, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  21. Al Ferdwell

Hillary is a boat anchor at this point. She has gone over the deep end. It's time to go in a new direction. So, if it's gender politics we're all so concerned about, let's really go to the left side of the party and tap Barbara Boxer as VP. We're going to lose the reddest of the red states anyway, and it's time to give the country a real choice. We don't need Bill Clinton running a shadow government, or even the appearance of it.

June 4, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  22. Mariann Pepitone

janey: I agree with you and yes, she would make a good VP for McCain plus her campaign workers and may of her voters would vote for MdCain and I believe he would win the presidency. I don't know if you are aware that Hillary was republican when she was younger because her father was a republican. Then she met and married Bill Clinton who was a democrat and she became a democrat. But she can revert to republican and get on McCain's ticket. McCain would win without a doubt. Or she can run as an independent and divide the democratic party. I think she should do that for the way the DNC treated her and Richarson, Kerry, Kennedy, Dean, Nancy, Reid and others and how the DNC went behind the scenes to make sure the superdelegates voted for Obama.

June 4, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  23. Sheanne

What Obama supporters and the media just don't get is that the more you push Hillary the harder she'll push back. Newscasters were belittling her on camera and instead of being appalled they laughed.

Let her be. It was reported that Hillary will concede on Friday. If tables were turned, Obama backers would be reacting a lot worse.

I am re-registering my party affiliation tomorrow to Independant. May the one who tells the most lies win.

June 4, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  24. Kim

If the tables were turned and Hillary got to the nomination as closely ahead of Barack Obama, no one would be arguing to allow Barack to "take his time" and "give him his space." As a 53 year old African American professional with a Ph.D., I wept at Obama's speech last night as a culmination of all my parents worked for and sacrificed. My mother is 88 and lived to see a Black man possibly become President of the U.S.A. and all Hillary could do was pander to herself and Bill to try once again to steal Obama's limelight. That was hurtful to me as a woman and as an African American. I am so over her. I do NOT want her on the ticket in Nov.

June 4, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  25. Margeaux

Obama will not win. I am not a racist, though I know you B.O. people like to invoke that drama. He is not right for the job. He is so over his head as it is. McCain will make him look like a schoolboy.

Signed a very well educated person.

June 4, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |