June 4th, 2008

Warner and Kaine to campaign with Obama in Virginia

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.va.gi.jpg caption="Warner and Kaine are set to campaign with Obama Thursday."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - Presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama will kick off his general election campaign in the purple state of Virginia on Thursday – and two of the state’s most prominent Democrats, Mark Warner and Tim Kaine, will be along for the ride.

Another high-profile Virginia Democrat, Sen. Jim Webb, is remaining mum on whether he will appear with Obama tomorrow, even though the newly minted nominee has scheduled an event in rural southwest Virginia, his home turf. Webb has yet to endorse a candidate.

Warner, the popular former governor who is now the frontrunner for the Senate seat left vacant by retiring Sen. John Warner, will campaign with Obama tomorrow in the city of Bristol, just over the Tennessee border. Warner was elected governor of Virginia in 2001 partly because he worked to win over rural voters in the southwestern part of the state, the very place Obama will campaign tomorrow.

Obama won the state’s primary handily on February 12, but he lost overwhelmingly to Hillary Clinton in the state’s rural Ninth Congressional District by 33 points, the first hints of a pattern of vulnerability among white, working-class voters that continued to nag him throughout later primary states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

Gov. Kaine will appear briefly with Obama tomorrow evening at a rally in Manassas. The event will take place at Nissan Pavilion, a 25,000-seat concert venue in Manassas that in recent weeks has hosted acts like Radiohead and Kanye West.

Kaine has been one of Obama’s most ardent backers, and was one of the first prominent Democratic leaders to endorse the Illinois senator’s presidential bid in 2007.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. rt, KY

I think Hillary should make a move toward taking it to the convention already!!! Tired of the speculation. I would love for the country to see her unbridled ambitious greed in clear terms. Then we could be rid of her and those foolish scorched earth followers that are spurring her on!! Go!! Do it and see what happens. I know she has the testicular fortitude. The last time I hear her name can't come soon enough.

June 4, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  2. Richard

Kaine /Warner?????? Who cares?

Democrates against Arrogant Barack HUSSAIN Obama!!!!!!!!!

McCain 2008!

June 4, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  3. Janet, 60+White Female American via Canada

The Party is uniting for November 4, 2008 and this is our time.

Congratulations to the Democratic Party on this Historical Year 2008!

All barriers have been cross with a Female Candidate and a White/African American Male – The World is in SHOCK & AWE!

June 4, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  4. texas outlaw

Glenn,
    More people voted for Hillary then they did Obama and you want to say it is all about Hillary.
    Funny how people only see things from their point of view, not 18 milliion others.
    This has been a unique race. It's not like he put the whoop on her.
    Someone said people loose sometimes like it was just another race.
    This was the most unique race in history and they want to treat it like it was just another race. She got more votes then he did and that should not ge ignored.

June 4, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  5. EBC

Ahhhhhh NOW we're talking...

Let the good time roll...... here comes the Obama Train!! Cho-Cho....

June 4, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  6. Kevin from MN

As much as I hate listening to all the Clinton supporters say their are going to McCain.....its just as annoying to here all the Obama supporters rip Hillary to shreds. I'll admit, I'm getting pretty tired of her.......but she is a very formidable candidate, and ripper her to shreds isn't a very good way to promote the party unity that everyone seems to want.

Plus, after watching McCain struggle to lift his lips into a smile after every "gotcha" line in his lame speech last night..... I get the feeling most dissapointed Clinton supporters will change their mind after they actually start listening to what McCain is saying.

June 4, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  7. Brian Knoxville, TN

Jim D,

I don't know, he is a snappy dresser and his pretty rhetoric sure does make me feel good about myself as a white male. He made me feel bad about myself only once with his pretty speechmaking. Last Sunday, when he spoke in South Dakota, he told a story about going to a little town in the sticks, in the middle of nowhere, and spoke about how the little crowd of twenty people starting shouting "fire it up!" and about how he was uncomfortable because he didn't know what they were talking about. As he drag out the moment of discomfort, I thought, "are they racists who are going to burn him." I felt so bad about myself as a white person when he revealed that the point the people were making is that we have to fire up our enthusiasm. I asked myself, "am I a racist for thinking that that's what he meant? I better vote for him or people might look at me and know I might be a closet racist..."

But your comment about naming just one accomplishment has reminded me that no clear thinking person of any race can vote for a man who is too unknown, inexperienced and unqualified for the office of President of the United States.

Thank you.

June 4, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  8. Tommy

Don't get too comfortable on the campaign trail, Obama. Hillary is still going to the convention! You ain't got it till she says you got it. And she may never!

June 4, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  9. mndharmas

Good to hear some deomocrats are thinking ahead and moving ahead.
    unlike others (shhhh,......) who want to be adulated, and don't understand the electoral process.

June 4, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  10. Where's John Warner?

Hmmm...I wonder why Sen. John Warner is not joining the other Democrat Senators in campaigning with Obama. Maybe he's pro Hillary. Weird...I wonder why he still calls himself a Republican?

June 4, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  11. Beverly in Chicago

Wexler for VP. Obama doesn’t need Hillary. I do think Obama can relate to Hillary’s base. Chicago is a very diverse city; the Hyde Park neighborhood is an intellectual university area. Yet, there are areas in Chicago and this state which aren’t.

Personally, I think the working experience with the steel workers is a reason he, I think, can convert Hillary’s base. As you said, he would then prove he is a true leader. This is a great opportunity for him; which I as an Obama supporter can believe.

Also, I am outraged that Hillary is so much of a hypocrite. Where is the unity she spoke of? Hillary has convinced me totally she is power drunk; and can’t see certain elements in the big picture. The invisible parts are that she is the only one alienating her base.

Last night the voters said color doesn’t matter any longer; and that we want to move forward. Hillary, can mire in the past with her pre-historic claims cave men need not drag women any longer; elites are of touch (her claim that Obama is), and she is the best candidate on the planet.

I want change and I want it now. Clintons can’t be trusted. That is what I and my friends saw last night. Dr. King dreamed; Obama actualized.

June 4, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  12. Mike D

The number of hillary supporters who will go McCain isnt more than a few thousand– count on it! Shame on you Hillaryis44 trolls!

June 4, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  13. Dan (TX)

Where's Hillary (Waldo)? Guess she's still stewing home in NY rather than do everything possible to help a Democrat get elected in November.

June 4, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  14. kim portland, oregon

i agree completely. i really WANTED to root for hillary, but they (and her angry supporters) made it impossible. i'm so disappointed in her, bill, her staff, and the way she ran her campaign. and then her non-concession and "playing politics" to the end by not being able to say that obama "won", soooo disappointing hillary.

obama will not pick her as VP, but he'll offered some high-level staff position cuz he knows she's smart. a part of me will always love the clintons cuz they were young, smart, ambitious, and SO WRONGLY attacked by the loony righties, but she's a very bad choice for VP. karl rove's endorcement of her is just the tip of the iceberg, a little teaser of how much the righties would soooo LOVE to have at the clintons again. and that of course would be disastrous to obama.

it's time for a fresh start. 98% of us americans, righties and lefties, have been $crewed over by 8 eight years of neocons (i dont even consider them republicans, and the REAL republicans out there should be fighting hard to get back THEIR party)!

mccain is scary in how out of touch he is with what's going on in this country, the people, and today's world. we cant go BACK in time and we definitely cant stay STAGNANT-and that's exactly what we would get with mccain.

it's time for the Keeper to head back to the Crypt!!!! let's unite and show the world that we have not become yeehaaaa-ing bozos, and that we want america to be a world leader again.

June 4, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  15. Really?

Go get 'em boys!

June 4, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  16. WOMAN THAT BELIEVES HILLARY IS A PARTY SPOILER!

That's right Obama push forward past Lil Miss Mess do your thing and make it happen all the way to the White House!

We love you and are so very proud of you. Virginia continue to treat him well, he'll do the same for you and the rest of us!

WE DO NOT WANT HILLARY ROTTEN CLINTON AS VP, NO NOT TRUST HER AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 4, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  17. Joe, Northern Virginia

Obama / Kaine 08
    Virginia is now a BLUE state !!!

June 4, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  18. Danel

Jim D. If you REALLY want to know more about our esteem Mr. Obama all you have to do is: go to his website or do some research about his accomplishments. I think you're just too blind to do that won't you? Anyway, you are looking for a reason NOT to vote for him. Why don't you just say so.

June 4, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  19. Brian Knoxville, TN

Jim D,

I don't know, he is a snappy dresser and his pretty rhetoric sure does make me feel good about myself as a white male. He made me feel bad about myself only once with his pretty speechmaking. Last Sunday, when he spoke in South Dakota, he told a story about going to a little town in the sticks, in the middle of nowhere, and spoke about how the little crowd of twenty people starting shouting "fire it up!" and about how he was uncomfortable because he didn't know what they were talking about. As he dragged out the moment of discomfort, I thought, "Are they racists who are going to burn him?" I felt so bad about myself as a white person when he revealed that the point that the people were making is that we have to fire up our enthusiasm. I asked myself, "Am I a racist for thinking that that's what he meant, that ‘fire it up’ meant that they were going to burn a black man?” and I thought, “I better vote for him, or people might look at me and see a closet racist..."

Thank you.

June 4, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  20. Democrats Rule

You have the perfect candidate and the perfect year – this is a date with destiny and anybody can see that (if you can't – please please please get out of my party). A man with hopes, vision, dreams and the ability to make us believe again. Last time we had this kind of president we (to paraphrase) reached for the stars and in the process touched the face of God. There are millions and millions and millions of us who know great when we see it and hear it! God speed President Obama!

June 4, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  21. Robin Country Club Hills

have any of you Obama haters taken the time to check his voting record during the 109th congress? You ask what he has done try looking for yourself and not repeating hatespeech.

June 4, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  22. Mikie

Oh, leave her the hell alone!!!! Every day for almost FOUR MONTHS she has been urged to concede. She'll concede when she's good and ready. Geezzz!!

June 4, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  23. Darryl Miller

God Bless them both because the Democratic Party is in need of a healing after Senator Hillary Clinton. She is acting like a women scorned because she can not get her way...

She need to grow up and stop acting like that..

She is just acting Ugly...

June 4, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  24. undercovabrotha

Now reparations legislation will really see the light of day.

Tax the wealthy out of existence.

Free education, free healthcare. Make those suburban MFs pay!!!!

June 4, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |