June 4th, 2008

Warner and Kaine to campaign with Obama in Virginia

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.va.gi.jpg caption="Warner and Kaine are set to campaign with Obama Thursday."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - Presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama will kick off his general election campaign in the purple state of Virginia on Thursday – and two of the state’s most prominent Democrats, Mark Warner and Tim Kaine, will be along for the ride.

Another high-profile Virginia Democrat, Sen. Jim Webb, is remaining mum on whether he will appear with Obama tomorrow, even though the newly minted nominee has scheduled an event in rural southwest Virginia, his home turf. Webb has yet to endorse a candidate.

Warner, the popular former governor who is now the frontrunner for the Senate seat left vacant by retiring Sen. John Warner, will campaign with Obama tomorrow in the city of Bristol, just over the Tennessee border. Warner was elected governor of Virginia in 2001 partly because he worked to win over rural voters in the southwestern part of the state, the very place Obama will campaign tomorrow.

Obama won the state’s primary handily on February 12, but he lost overwhelmingly to Hillary Clinton in the state’s rural Ninth Congressional District by 33 points, the first hints of a pattern of vulnerability among white, working-class voters that continued to nag him throughout later primary states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

Gov. Kaine will appear briefly with Obama tomorrow evening at a rally in Manassas. The event will take place at Nissan Pavilion, a 25,000-seat concert venue in Manassas that in recent weeks has hosted acts like Radiohead and Kanye West.

Kaine has been one of Obama’s most ardent backers, and was one of the first prominent Democratic leaders to endorse the Illinois senator’s presidential bid in 2007.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Judy

I was so sick of you saying how historical this was last night I almost puked. What would have been historical is if a woman won in DC. Just another man won. So what he's black. Big deal. And he just barely won. You were all acting like this was a mandate or something. She has 18 million voters and WE DON'T LIKE OBAMA. She better take her time and think about what she is going to do with her 18 million voters because I have news for her, there is nothing she or he can say to get me to vote for him. If FL and MI had been counted in the beginning the election would have taken a completely different turn and she would have won. I feel like Al Gore in 2000. I won the popular vote but I lost and I was CHEATED! We hate Obama. He cannot win the electoral college. Just look at the states that he won. Look at the states she won. She won the electoral college. She did not concede because she is telling him I have 18 million voters and they don't like you much and I have no idea how I am going to get them to like you and unite this party. This was a 50/50 race. And the 50 of us that got cheated out of it are hopping mad and it won't get any better between now and November. I have not been this mad since Richard Nixon or Ronald Reagan won. I worked for the EPA then and every day was sheer agony as Reagan stopped us from doing our jobs. I know what hate is and this is hate. She can't do anything to bring the party together. The hurt runs too deep to get over. WE WOMEN WILL NOT VOTE FOR ANOTHER MALE.

June 4, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  2. Real Democrat

Why democrats still nominate Obama despite knowing that Obama is involved with so many corrupt/radicals/pathetic people in the world ?

Or are these democrats waiting for researchers to declare that Obama indeed is 6th cousin of Osma Bin laden.

June 4, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  3. LUCY TREDWAY

Do we really know Obama. Better look before we leap.

Vote McCain for our own protection.

June 4, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  4. Goran Shaw

I have one question and I hope that you guys discuss .may be you can also ask Jack Cafferty.
    Do you think Hillary is saying in tha race to negativly affect Obama so he will lose and she can again run in 2012.

because if he wins she can not run until 2016.

Thanks.

June 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  5. Trenton Sims, Los Angeles

Why Does Hellary want to be the VP to someone whos beneath her and she is better than?

hmm Go Figure....

June 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  6. Ferdinand

What a historic race. Unfortunately history tells me Democrats will not win when we are divided e.g. Carter/Kennedy 1980. I was a staunch supporter of the Clintons and had met Bill personnally and absolutely reveered the man until South Carolina. It is time the Clintons get with the program or get of the stage. It is about tne Democratric party.

Oboma 08

June 4, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  7. Growns Up Finally Taking Charge

Hey Mike...I wouldn't get to morally superior considering Paul vs. Clinton has only just begun to get up to speed. Didn't the judge suspend Sen. Clinton from having to provide testimony until the election. Since she won't be running for President and VP is up in the air I'm sure she'll now have all the free time the world (Bill too) to do their civic duty.

June 4, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  8. Antonia in Bristol Virginia

We are members of the ninth congressional district and are over the moon because we have the opportunity to hear Barack Obama speak. I hope more of my neighbors come with an open mind and leave as impressed as we are with our Democtratic Presidential Nominee.

June 4, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  9. KE

I hope Sen. Clinton and her backers get some good rest, and from the media too.

I would love to watch Sen. Obama and Sen. McCain debate nex. We want to know more about Sen. McCain and Sen. Obama still.

June 4, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  10. Janey

I am laughing as hard as Carville–McCain and Obama are the "presumptive" nominees for President–both trying to steal "Hillary's women" and Hillary is still dominating the news! Because of the DNC and their manipulations, they have lost the best candidate they have had in decades. I have to say, I like McCain almost as much–I think Hillary should be his VP.

June 4, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  11. Trenton Sims, Los Angeles

As far a Mc Pain ..Just Put him on IGNORE..

Snore..Zzzzzzzzzzz....

June 4, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  12. marlon

hey mike ....go kick rocks....get over it already. he's the nominee. we all make mistake in our past. come off your high horse and go back in your cave. you sore loser hillary supporter.

June 4, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  13. s.boat

Clintons Bandwagon Must Be On Fire! Everyone Seems To Be Jumping Off! Barack Doesnt Need Hillary Like Her Supporters Want Everyone To Believe! Its Another One Of Her Failed Attemps To Spin Her Own Failure! * You Better Pick Me For Vice President Or All Of My Voters Will Back The Republicans * Please! Thousands Of Her Supporters Are Leaving Her Camp Everyday To Back Obama! Her Bid Is Over And She Deserves Nothing!

June 4, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  14. Sara from Arizona

OBAMA, ON WITH YOUR CAMPAIGN, FORGET CLINTON.

June 4, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  15. hrao

How about Obama and Patrick Kennedy?

June 4, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  16. Ian

I don't understand these Hillary people who say they're gonna vote for McCain now... listen to Hillary's own words.

"We must work to have a Democrat in the White House."
    "I will work my heart out for Sen Obama if he is the nominee."
    "It would be a grave mistake to vote for McCain over Obama."

Do you not care what she thinks?

June 4, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  17. Louise Spahr

Hillary Clinton is doing a great job. Her strategy is flawless. I hope she does not accept a V.P. spot. I believe sincerely she is more valuable and can do more good for the United States on her own. And frankly, I believe that the U.S. of A. is now doomed to 4 or 8 years (if we last that long) of horrible, inconsistent, and reckless decisions.

I never cared for James Carville, but his support and contributing remarks for Hillary over the past months, have made him my "new hero."

If I never see or hear Cafferty again, that will be too soon. The man is hateful, but what else can you expect from a drunk.

Donna Brazil is funny...Anderson Cooper's Boo - that was great! Also, her neutral position impressed me greatly.

June 4, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  18. B - NYC

***************************************************************************
    With due respects to Senator Obama for running a good campaign, despite needing four times the money and the title of "media darling" to win.

His supporters need to realize a few things... They have been rude and disrespectful to Senator Clinton therefore, rude to her supporters... What they are failing to realize is that HE NEEDS HER, SHE DOES NOT NEED HIM and we will NOT support him, which means, he will in fact not have enough votes to win in November...

I would start being a bit respectful if I were you...

***************************************************************************

June 4, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  19. Kristine

I find it quite interesting that Senator Webb hasn't backed either candidate to date. As a moderator to conservative democrat I would like to see who Senator Webb supports. It will be interesting to see if Senator Webb will show up tomorrow.

June 4, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  20. JC

It doesn't matter what Hillary said or did not say.
    It's over for the Clintons.
    We have to move on to the issues that matter to our nation.

Vote Democracy!
    No more Clinton or Bush in the White House.

We need to have a Constitutional Amendment to extend the presidential term limit of two to include the immediate family members of a president.

June 4, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  21. KP

Uncle Fester it is so easy to call people names. Its harder for people like you (name callers) to have a substantive debate on the issues that face our country and the world.

Obama for America and America for Obama!

June 4, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  22. Tracy

Mike, you sound like a bitter person. Guess what, we don't care abour Rezko. We care about issues that will affect is in the future, not something that did not affect us at all. And you notice how Obama has brushed you Rezko lovers off (literally) and decided to press forward. So that makes you look just as stupid as Hillary.

June 4, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  23. Kentucky

If she becomes VP Obama will always be looking over his shoulder for her or Bill.

June 4, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  24. Tracy

WE DO NOT WANT THAT WITCH AS OUR VP!!!!!!!! We want someone with morales and integrity.. She has neither.

June 4, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  25. Rex

As a FL Dem I feel Obama pulled a bush with the FL and MI voters.
    After the LA debates I decide against voting for him as I felt he did not answer alot of qustions he danced around them.
    Rex