June 5th, 2008

Lieberman launches grassroots organization

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.lieb.gi.jpg caption="Lieberman launched a grassroots organization Thursday to appeal to Clinton's supporters."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Joe Lieberman – who has taken on increasingly high-profile campaign roles on behalf of presumptive Republican nominee John McCain – announced Thursday that he was launching and heading a new grassroots organization, "Citizens for McCain," making a direct appeal to Hillary Clinton’s disappointed supporters.

“The phones at the campaign headquarters have been ringing with disaffected Democrats calling to say they believe Senator McCain has the experience, judgment, and bipartisanship necessary to lead our country in these difficult times,” Lieberman wrote in a message sent to the Arizona senator’s supporters. “Many of these supporters are former supporters of Senator Clinton.”

Over the past few weeks, some supporters of Hillary Clinton – whose campaign announced Wednesday that she would be suspending her presidential run this weekend - have said that they would consider voting for McCain if she were not the Democratic nominee.

Lieberman highlighted McCain’s “very good working relationship with Senator Clinton” – which he said would continue in the future – and his comments praising her in a speech at a Louisiana campaign event Wednesday.

"Senator Clinton has earned great respect for her tenacity and courage. The media often overlooked how compassionately she spoke to the concerns and dreams of millions of Americans, and she deserves a lot more appreciation than she sometimes received,” said McCain. “As the father of three daughters, I owe her a debt for inspiring millions of women to believe there is no opportunity in this great country beyond their reach. I am proud to call her my friend."

He called on supporters to “reach out to Americans who are not currently involved in the campaign.

“Will you help us by recruiting your friends, family, and co-workers who may not consider themselves members of the Republican Party and ask them to join the Citizens for McCain organization?” wrote Lieberman.

“I am confident we will find many Democrats and Independents who, like John McCain and me, put country before political party and will support a leader with a real record of bipartisanship…. Together, we will make history.”

On Wednesday - the first day of the general election campaign – the very first Republican conference call attacking presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama featured Lieberman.

Lieberman has been increasingly critical of Obama. The Democrat-turned-independent has been a strong supporter of President Bush's Middle East and Iraq policies.

Obama endorsed Lieberman in his 2006 Democratic primary battle against challenger Ned Lamont. But after the Connecticut senator lost and decided to run as an independent, Obama switched his support to Lamont, who shared his opposition to the Iraq war.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Ginny CA

Count this life-long Democrat in, Joe! (Isn't there a Democrats for McCain group forming somewhere?)

June 5, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  2. Joe in NoVa

Thanks, Hillary. Your demagogaury has helped the very party you claim to want to campaign against. Great way to get the VP spot!

June 5, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  3. ObamaSupporter

Lier Man is not capable of recruiting people.

June 5, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  4. HTA, Chicago, IL

I have often disagreed with the premise that the VP choice makes no difference. I point to Lieberman bringing down Gore in 2000. The Republicans can have Lieberman.

June 5, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  5. Terry in New York

People like liberwhatever are exactly why Hillary lost , why McCain will loose. It's just one looser to another.

June 5, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  6. Joyce in Florida

Lieberman, just go away. McCain will NOT get my vote EVER. Stop using your comments about Hillary Clinton to advantage the McCain camp. Not working here for me. NEVER WILL. My ears are closed to anything you have to say. End of story. HILLARY CLINTON ALL THE WAY TO DENVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  7. David Goldman for OBAMA

LIEBERSTUPID OUGHT TO GET BACK TO HIS CORNER,

BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE TAKES IT. HE & MCBUSH

ARE BLOOD BROTHERS, TRUE TO NO ONE BUT THEIR

POCKETBOOK.

June 5, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  8. Arkansas Undertaker

We really dont care, Joe! Because, if all those HRC supporters want to continue down the path of GEROGE W. BUSH, I want them to vote for McCain.

I really dont want to hear 1 word from them when gas prices reach $10.00 a gallon, Roe v.Wade is overturned, 3 million Americans loose their homes to foreclosure, no health care reform is ever inacted, the War claims 8 million U.S. Soildiers, and more and more American Jobs continue to relocated across the ocean to foreign countries.

Give me a break!!!!

June 5, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  9. Ostriches burying our heads in the sand

This guy should change his name to Lie-blah-man!

There was an interesting post on a blog in another website which said that if there was one good thing that emerged of Gore not becoming POTUS in 2000, it was that we did not have to bear this guy as veep for eight years because if Gore were at the helm, Lieblahman would probably be vying for the Democratic nomination this year....the very thought makes me want to hurl....

June 5, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  10. Kathy

I am no big fan of Liberman–being from CT myself,

However, Obama is ill qualified for the position of president. It has nothing to do with his race and all to do with experience.
    Clinton would have made the stronger contender in Nov. however the stupid DNC refused to see this.
    Probably will not vote for McCain- though I hold out that option over the next few months
    Will not vote for Obama–has not earned my vote
    Most likely will sit this one out
    Obama supporters good luck to you- you are going to need it.
    And to a large majority (not all) Obama supporters, you folks are vivil, arrogant and have shown no respect for Clinton supporters-for shame on most of you. If you are the crowd that is attracted to him-you can enjoy together his defeat in NOv.

June 5, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  11. david5992

McCain must be promising Lieberman a Cabinet post or similar reward if he's elected, because he certainly will never have another leadership post in the Senate after this. Who knows if he'll turn his coat again.

June 5, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  12. Tom

This guy should just join the Republican Party. Democrats sure don't need him. Campaigning for four more years of Bush/Cheney-style government–are you kidding me?

June 5, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  13. Mark Kahle

Hey Lieberman, your about 16 months behind... Barack has had his grassroots campaign going since then...good luck with your political pandering too...

Its not working

Democrats 08'
    Obama 08'!

June 5, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  14. KE

The Democratic Party is "me, me, me." Party. The Come-me-first Party.
    I think the party is hijacked.

Lieberman why don't you listen to us, Hillary why don't you get out, Hillary why don't you congratulate us? We have selected our king. The Democratic Party elitists have stolen the entitlement and therefore our Come-me-fisrt Party have dicided.

The Obama blogger loyalists don't want Hillary Clinton it's obvious.

People still can't stop talking about Hillary.

Let Sen. Obama and Michelle Obama speak.

June 5, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  15. Proud American

May God have mercy on us all. Many of us have come a long way but its also obvious many have not. This is exactly the reason why America is in the shape that its in. No thought of any consequences. Shame... such a shame.
    Obamas words ring truer now than ever... I have the Audicity of Hope.

June 5, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  16. Mimi De La Cruz for OBAMA

DEAR LORD, TALK ABOUT THE LOSERS CLUB.

HILLARY'S SUPPORTERS WILL NOT VOTE FOR ANOTHER

BUSH IF THEY HAD TO VOTE FOR THE LOCAL DOGCATCHER.

June 5, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  17. Anthony Ames

Keep in mind that the Democratic party did Senator Lieberman considerable dirt a couple of years ago. I don't blame him for feeling a tad vengeful, but I'm afraid he'll be doing it without me.

June 5, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  18. Mark Kahle

Its not working

Democrats 08'
    Obama 08'!!

June 5, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  19. Brian Knoxville, TN

Just signed up at citizens.johnmccain.

Excellent idea.

Too bad Obama didn't think of something first. Maybe he could have given a rousing speech or something to try to fool us the way he did all the morons who confuse rhetoric with a record of accomplishments.

McCAIN DEMOCRAT '08

June 5, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  20. Marilyn

I am one of those new McCain Democrats. I can't imagine that any Republican will vote for Obama, and with a large portion of moderate Democrats leaving the party, how can John McCain lose?

June 5, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  21. ray

Old men...old ideas. J.L. is a has been.

The majority of Hillary's people won't vote for Obama because of his skin color. Maybe they should head for the ocean to find Atlantis adn leave us who simply want a new start for this country be.

June 5, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  22. David D Kollie

Joe is learning from Obama's Campaign. This is an indication that the change Obama is talking about has started working already. Joe said he and McCain are experienced. Surprisingly, they are learning and practicing the "bottom up" strategy Obama has been and still talking about all along during his primary campaign. It takes the inexperience to teach the experience. LOL

June 5, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  23. Sylvia

Remember that McCain is not a supporter of women's rights and he has demonstrated that, so you Clinton supporters, you better think twice about voting for McCain.

Clinton and supporters knew very well that this was a contest and not a guarantee that she would win. Get over it and start supporting Obama.

June 5, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  24. Tom, ALBUQUERQUE, NM

Count me in Joe, as a devout African American democrat and Hillary supporter I will readily cast my vote for McCain.

June 5, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  25. Rachel

More power to ya Joe Obama supporters says that he doesn't need us any way, hope he's right.

June 5, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |