June 5th, 2008

Lieberman launches grassroots organization

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/04/art.lieb.gi.jpg caption="Lieberman launched a grassroots organization Thursday to appeal to Clinton's supporters."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - Sen. Joe Lieberman – who has taken on increasingly high-profile campaign roles on behalf of presumptive Republican nominee John McCain – announced Thursday that he was launching and heading a new grassroots organization, "Citizens for McCain," making a direct appeal to Hillary Clinton’s disappointed supporters.

“The phones at the campaign headquarters have been ringing with disaffected Democrats calling to say they believe Senator McCain has the experience, judgment, and bipartisanship necessary to lead our country in these difficult times,” Lieberman wrote in a message sent to the Arizona senator’s supporters. “Many of these supporters are former supporters of Senator Clinton.”

Over the past few weeks, some supporters of Hillary Clinton – whose campaign announced Wednesday that she would be suspending her presidential run this weekend - have said that they would consider voting for McCain if she were not the Democratic nominee.

Lieberman highlighted McCain’s “very good working relationship with Senator Clinton” – which he said would continue in the future – and his comments praising her in a speech at a Louisiana campaign event Wednesday.

"Senator Clinton has earned great respect for her tenacity and courage. The media often overlooked how compassionately she spoke to the concerns and dreams of millions of Americans, and she deserves a lot more appreciation than she sometimes received,” said McCain. “As the father of three daughters, I owe her a debt for inspiring millions of women to believe there is no opportunity in this great country beyond their reach. I am proud to call her my friend."

He called on supporters to “reach out to Americans who are not currently involved in the campaign.

“Will you help us by recruiting your friends, family, and co-workers who may not consider themselves members of the Republican Party and ask them to join the Citizens for McCain organization?” wrote Lieberman.

“I am confident we will find many Democrats and Independents who, like John McCain and me, put country before political party and will support a leader with a real record of bipartisanship…. Together, we will make history.”

On Wednesday - the first day of the general election campaign – the very first Republican conference call attacking presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama featured Lieberman.

Lieberman has been increasingly critical of Obama. The Democrat-turned-independent has been a strong supporter of President Bush's Middle East and Iraq policies.

Obama endorsed Lieberman in his 2006 Democratic primary battle against challenger Ned Lamont. But after the Connecticut senator lost and decided to run as an independent, Obama switched his support to Lamont, who shared his opposition to the Iraq war.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Sue

Sounds good to me!!! Wonder if this has any thing to do with the incident at the Senate where Obama was trying to show the upper hand with Lieberman? I am game for just about anything because I am a Hillary supporter that will not fall in line with Obama.

June 5, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  2. NORA, FLORIDA

Hmmm Obama leads in this department and everyone now wants to follow!!!! LOL. We now know that the DEMS rule

June 5, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  3. Nicole in NE

Great – you take Lieberman and we'll take Chuck Hagel – a Democrat that stands on his own two feet and doesn't always bend to the will of his party!

McCain is NOT a moderate – hesupports Bush's tax cuts for the welthiest of Americans and continues Bush's FAILED foreign policies. He sold himself to the right-wing pure and simple!

June 5, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  4. Independent

I voted for Bush the last two elections but I will not be voting Republican again. McCain will just continue with the same Bush policies and I do not like the direction the country is going. I may not agree with everything that Obama wants to do but he represents the kind of change this country needs. No way for more of the same. Obama 2008!

June 5, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  5. Less, Austin Tx

Uh..sure, "put country before political party".

Lieberman might want to teach McCain this line before McCain tries to do another. . .Gosh, what could you call it, because McCain's last attempt to read off the teleprompter was a disaster. Can't really call it a speech.

Lieberman also might want to try and convience McCain to sound a lot more believable. But like they say, it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

June 5, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  6. applecrispbetty

What is the Democrate party, Wise Owl? Remove the Wise from your moniker.

June 5, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  7. RECOVERING CLINTON SUPPORTER

Wise Owl

Grow up. Your racisim is showing clearly.

June 5, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  8. Stevo PA

Joe go sit down. You had your turn and lost. Why didn't you do the same for Gore when you was his running mate.

June 5, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  9. For Those Dems Voting For McCain...

So? If people wnat to vote against their best interests over pettiness it's a free country. If they think that McCain is NOW the answer to their dreams because when said and done their preferred candidate lost fair and square by the same rules as the candidate that did win so be it.

One thing true Democrats cannot do and that is fall in-line with homegrown terrorism from within our own party. I hear McCain is still looking for a VP so since that is what you want for Hillary since she isn't going to get a presidential nod well here's your chance. Liberman is sucking up to you and falling in line with your beliefs and you've got McCain patting your candidate on the back applauding a job well done. I think they'll even make room for Bill when the time comes. So again, by all means do what you must just as those of us who are supporting Obama will continue to do the same and then we'll just see if the reign of terror of the last years will prevail or that of a better day that put hope before fear and people before all else.

June 5, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  10. Nicole in NE

LOL – you are leaving and going republican because of the DNC's ruling on MI & FL?

You do realize that the RNC has those same rules right? What a joke!

June 5, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  11. choose door #3

I think this is the sign of the times.

The Democrats no longer reflect the mainstream, moderate, inclusive America.

They now only represent the new, angry Obama camp: read the vulgar, vile, filthy vicious anti-anybody but themselves posts of the Obama fans.

Lieb was right to leave this corrupt party.

This year, many lifelong Democrats will make the break with their party.

We need a THIRD option.

What about Hillary Clinton? An energetic, vigorous moderate Democrat who can unify this broken land?

JOIN US- all who hold liberty dear and freedom sacred- and write in HRC in Nov.

Don't sit at home in silent protest. Don't defect to McCain. Speak with your vote for the BEST candidate.

June 5, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  12. Tangi

Bring it On!!! He has a lot catching up to do. Many Democrats don't agree with Republicans...so if the Hillary supporters wishes to continue to pay for high gas prices and be on foodstams, then Vote for McBush/Lieberman.

And we will see thhem all at President Barack Obama's Inauguration.

YES WE DID!!! OBAMA 2008!

June 5, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  13. Melissa

To these unhappy Hillary democrats, what exactly did you think was going to happen? I keep hearing that Barack Obama has stolen the presidency in the biggest show of injustice we've ever seen. How can you honestly believe that he stole the election from Hillary, who won less delegates (by 200) less states (by around 15) and, yes, less popular votes (if you are actually including the caucus votes).

What exactly did he do to bring on all this wrath? A more clear contrast I see right now, is Obama being very gracious to Hillary (See: his Tuesday night election speech), and Hillary being rather sour. These sorts of instances makes you guys come across as sore losers.

But seriously, I'm interested to know what specific injustice is so enraging everyone. I feel like Hillary has done serious damage by pretending that she was going to be the definite nominee for months after it was realistic (Terry McAuliffe said last weekend that Hillary would come out of the S.D. primary as the "nominee of the Democratic Party"), and for painting this picture of herself as heroic fighter against injustice – Barack Obama being pinned the faceless tyrant.

Anyway. Let the wound licking continue.....

June 5, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  14. the third option

It is not Obama or McCain.

For the first time in history, Americans have a viable third option that can win a WRIT In campaign.

I'm a lifelong DEM for Hill.

I WILL leave the democratic party over this travesty of justice I witnessed. This is not what i marched and protested for in the 60s and not what I worked for when I struggled for civil rights and women's rights.

This was an unfair fixed election by left wing radicals hell bend on destroying their strongest competitor.

Too late for unity now, the damage to the party has been done. That is the price of hatred.

June 5, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  15. therealslimshady

Obama and his people are so much smarter then these republicians idiots. She just may end up as his VP after all.

June 5, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  16. NEVER OBAMA

John McCain is a wonderful and honest man and I'll be very happy to vote for him. It's not the party now.....it's the man and John McCain IS THE BEST MAN for the job of President of the United States. And Mrs. McCain is the best and only choice for our new First Lady. She belongs in the White House.

June 5, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  17. MARC.D

IF THOSE CLINTON PEOPLE GO AHEAD AND VOTE FOR McBUSH.THAT SHOWS THEY WERE NOT DEMOCRAT AND THEY DO NOT LIKE THIS COUNTRY CALL USA

June 5, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  18. GLAD TO SEE HISTORICAL MOMENT

Senator Liableman pulling for McCain and still caucus with Democrats?

Are there no "recall" or "impeachment" provisions fro Congress people?

Liableman need to be recalled or impeached as a CT Senator.

June 5, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  19. s

The Clinton supporters who vote for McCain would be voting against their own best interest.

(I make enough money i didn't get a stimulus check) I vote for the candidates that would help the country even if it means i would pay more taxes. i don't care if McCain is voted in because I would have more of my own money.

Just remember one thing- voting for McCain is voting against your own interest.

Dem '08

June 5, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  20. DOH!!!

and I wonder where he got THAT idea.......so Republican.....so UNoriginal..........

OBAMA 08

June 5, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  21. P, CA

To angry Obama supporters: Stop, you idiots!

THE REASON WHY THIS IS HAPPENING IS BECAUSE YOU WON'T STOP THE ATTACK AFTER THE ENEMY IS DEAD!!!

Look: Hillary is out now, so stop the attack, it's over. We're supposed to be trying to welcome them now, and the reason they won't come easily is because they feel a severe negativity from the Obama camp, be it from Obama himself (which I think they are imagining) or HIS SUPPORTERS.

I always thought the Republicans were the angry ones, with all the fire and brimsone evangelicals and the NRA gun-maniacs with the confederate flag in the back of their pickup.

But you are now making the Democratics seem like the irrational ones, and pretty soon, they'll think that McCain (Mr. Warmonger himself) is the rational one.

Obama has been extremely rational and brilliant in this season, and now you're all p***ing out his fire by being bullies.

I am a die-hard Obama supporter, but I want to welcome ANYONE I can into our camp. Blogs make it REALLY easy to hate because you don't have to pay a personal price for it (confrontation without the face-to-face), but it just makes you weaker.

HILLARY SUPPORTERS: We need you, we want you, but some of us bozos won't stop. I think Hillary ran a great race, and I'm proud of her. Obama is an excellent candidate, and he offers great hope, but some people got a little too fired up, and I'm apologizing for them right now.

I agree with what other people are saying: I think this "I have my hand out" by Lieberman is a completly political tactic. Please don't fall for it. CLINTON IS SUPPORTING OBAMA.

Don't forsake your old candidate just to hate the new one.

And again, Obama supporters: You're sounding more Republican than the Republican. Learn some self-control before we lose this thing.

THANK YOU FOR LISTENING.

June 5, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  22. Mick

How's this for a truely bi-partisan ticket based on experience, accomplishment, and reality...

McCain / Clinton '08!

June 5, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  23. Ne to Obama

I wish him Luck.

Anyone but Obama.

But please consider joining the vast WRITE IN campaign for HRC.

Millions can make a difference.

Vote for the best one.

Lady liberty...not a nazi regime.

June 5, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  24. Peter

I AM READY TO FORGIVE LIEBERMAN FOR HE ONLY WANTS TO SERVE HIS COUNTRY EVEN BY TRICKING HIS OWN PARTY. THE MORE PRESSING ISSUE HOWEVER, IS NOT TO HAVE A PRESIDENT WHO MERELY GIVES GOOD IN SPEECHES AND NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL. I AM A DEMOCRAT AND THIS TIME I WILL VOTE FOR A REPUBLICAN.

June 5, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  25. Adam

What?! Dirty politics?! By a dirty party?!

June 5, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |