June 5th, 2008

Obama making imprint on DNC organization

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/05/art.obamadnc.gi.jpg caption="Obama will ask the DNC to stop taking lobbyist and PAC money."](CNN) - Barack Obama is set to ask the Democratic National Committee to no longer accept money from federal lobbyists or political actions committees, CNN has learned from sources at the DNC and the Obama campaign.

CNN has also learned Obama will ask one of his top operatives, Paul Tewes, to help the DNC with its fundraising operation, which has lagged far behind its Republican counterpart this year.

Tewes will be the Illinois senator's eyes and ears at the DNC and see to it that the party and the candidate are in sync, according to sources.

1. Voter

I see from reading above that if Barack loses, predictably, it will all be
    Hillary's fault. Amazing how much skill and power she acquired over night. Why, turns out she can make it or break it for Barry. Who knew?

Why is it up to Hillary Clinton to "bring the Dems together?" She lost, remember? You ran her out. She owes you NOTHING. I hope she will resist accepting the VP slot, but BO's surrogates are clearly applying pressure while, as usual, he sits it out.

I love the way you all speak: Now she MUST-she HAS TO-"OR ELSE...!" Or else what? She won't be the nominee? You all won't like her anymore?, won't treat her well anymore?

If the Democratic party is so strong, nothing Hillary might do could bring it down. If it's weak, see Howard Dean about that. Fact is, she got more votes than any primary candidate in US history, including BO.

Interesting to hear Reid and Pelosi announce, "the voters have spoken." No, the voters elected Hillary Clinton. You mean the DNC has spoken. And, as they say, it's not over 'til the fat lady sings. That would be Oprah.

Note to Michelle: You'll need more than pearls to look the part. Stop clumping across the stage in heels too high and dress too tight. You can take the girl out of the south side of Chicago, but...you know the rest.

June 5, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  2. LATINO FOR OBAMA

Charlotte,

You can keep your stinking money. Can you please share how much you donated so that I may double it?

I will donate to the DNC if Obama asked.

CHANGE IS COMING....

June 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  3. cocobutta

change is coming to America. Obama supporters have seen this from the start. We are not surprised.

June 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  4. Richard, St. Paul, MN

Finally! A politician who is pushing for actual Democracy in our Democratic nation! This is an incredibly impressive and gutsy move. I'm guessing that his fellow politicians, especially the dimwit Republicans, will have a cow; but this is exactly the type of move that shows that a President should side with the People and not Parties, PAC's or the skanky Lobbyists. Go Obama!

June 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  5. Gene in Connecticut

Now, I'm impressed! I mean, it's one thing to say you won't take any "bribes" from lobbyists and PACs, but it's an entirely different matter when you make your national party follow suit. Our next President of the United States is starting to show signs of exactly HOW you can make 'Change You Can Believe In' by demonstrating to his party and all of America that a public servant's candidacy can and should be funded by the people, and not the personal interests of the powerful, privileged few. Finally, we have someone to vote for that leads the people by example!

June 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  6. tom

For the first time in my adult life im proud to vote republican.

Just wait till the whitey tapes come out.

A democrat all my life till Obama came along.

If not hillary them Mccain. 08

June 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  7. Nobama

This is nothing new, it is a ploy. The same money will be filtered through different hands to give the false impression that lobbyists are no longer involved. Obama has once again pulled the wool over the eyes of America.

June 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  8. Tony

Well, in hearing this, I went ahead and made $15 donation (unfortunatly it is all i can afford at this time, but every little bit helps), and will probably try to do so in the months ahead. If we can get the entire DNC to not accept Special Interest, and show them that they can still raise enough money, that would really be a great thing!

Obama 08!!!

June 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  9. Sarah

Great
    Thank you Mr. President

June 5, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  10. Alex in TX

To all the Obama supporters out there.....learn how to win graciously. If you keep rubbing salt in an open wound, you have contributed to McCain's presidency.

I am an ardent Obama supporter but the time to end the anger has come.

And to the Hillary supporters, don't let the unfiltered words of Obama supporters divert your attention from the message from the candidate himself. There is a reason he is the candidate, and we are all posting on cnn.com. He is brilliant, respectful and will be a great president carrying on most of the issues near and dear to Hillary.

June 5, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  11. Audrey

Hillary supporters need to put their personal feelings aside and vote DEMOCRAT this November. She will do all SHE can to help put a DEMOCRAT into the White House. Please do YOUR part and vote your DEMOCRATIC party. Voting for McCain just because she's not on the ticket proves nothing but a childish response because you didn't get your candidate.

If you all really thought McCain was good enough to get your vote, why did you vote for Hillary in the first place?

Grow up. Support your party and your country. Republicans are nothing but a menace to everyone except wealthy people and big fat rich corporations.

June 5, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  12. HyperD

This is a person of good moral principles. McCain is surrounded by lobbyists and interest groups' money. How can he claim "a leader you can believe in"? A self-called leader that is backed by oil companies among others? You can believe that he represents Bush's third term, that's what you can be sure. Vote for McCain and don't complain about gas prices and more senseless wars! Hillary supporters: she or Obama are either of them are far better than Bush's comrade! Is time to turn the page and move on. America cannot wait four more years! Obama can and will beat McCain! Obama '08!

June 5, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  13. Aida

All of you directing comments to Charlotte,

My, how your tone has changed. Your spewing of hatred has stopped, but it is not so easily forgotten. It is nice to see you can grow up. Now, your candidate needs to convince 18 million voters he has substance, not just fluff.

TESAP, learn to spell, please!!

June 5, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  14. Mark

The change is starting now, nice way to do it Obama

June 5, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  15. James Nelson

An excellent and refreshing decision! I knew my faith in him wasn't misplaced. He will make an exceptional President.

As for McFossil for president, please demonstrate how this doddering old shadow of Bush will make a better commander in chief. And yes, we know the part about having been a war hero and POW in a war that happened 40 years ago.

June 5, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  16. MemeForObama

I really admire the way obama is conducting his campaign and leadership of the DNC. This is what I've been talking about all along.
    the American Economy needs to be managed by someone like Obama.

June 5, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  17. White small town for Obama !!

Remember is not only about the war!! Is about the economy is about health insurance, is about gas prices, food and our home!!
    McCain is another Bush and Bush is making sure he gets elected to even do couple of fundrasing for him. Come on ! you don't see the picture.. Just tthe way McCain talks I can tell he's all about BUSH reminds me of BUSH speeches years ago, and how ppl were so into BUSH that they voted for him, everyone was happy and then what happened? gas price went up, a war that's killing tons of our soldiers everyday, people losing their homes, their jobs and people that can't afford the way of living in UNITED STATES, the AMerica that at one point everyone wanted to come to, the Strong AMERICA the example of the entire country, and now everyone sees us as a weak country!!

June 5, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  18. eddy

hey john mccain for president, I like what you had to say in your statement, although you don't know the intellect level of people. One thing though, you say people place partys values above countrys interest because people like a democrat canidate, how would you explain good ol george W. bush???!!! I mean republican supporters and yourself probably will never tell the truth about him, or our situation now, or his legacy. I bet you supported him, but when I ask people about our commander in chief, they can never tell me anything meaniful that should be a lasting image for him and his office. I say he is a strong man, but, other than that theres not much positive you can tell us from his 8 years in office, why should we think that the republican party is the right choice for this country. If you could, I would love to hear it, otherwise, join people, real people that would like our country going back to a positive image, the force that we are supposed to be and help out the movement.

June 5, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  19. Javier

I love it!!!! Close the doors on the federal lobbyists or political actions committees. Nothing comes for free, and those groups have sucked the life of politics for to long. Barack Obama along with the DNC can be the ones to move to bring about Change.

What’s risky about that? Sorry McBush but your friends will not run the USA like they ran away with your conscience.!!!!

June 5, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  20. AT

Thank you Mr. Obama for being a man of your word. I am so proud to be a prat of this process. I praise God for what you represent. I am glad that I will his management expertise at its best in this general election. I plan on being there when he accepts the nomination in August. he will bring a freshness and integrity to the White House. I pray for your protection and your continued success.

June 5, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  21. KateLynn

Just like his stand on the dubious "gas tax holiday" idea, every time Obama puts his foot down and speaks the truth in contrast to his opponent, he is creating experience and change. This is the sort of experience we want, Mr. McBush, not the kind that rubber-stamps tax cuts for the rich and a war that wasted ten of thousands of lives (American and Iraqi) and hundreds of billions of dollars.

Obama-Gore '08

June 5, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  22. Jenny from IN

Can I just say something right now to all the Clinton supporters who are threatening Obama?

Stop being so childish.

Clinton and Obama knew the rules of the primary election before it started. You are talking like no one voted for Obama. Obama won, that's all there is to it. And about Michigan, if you really wanted to be fair to voters, you would be fair to the voters that wanted to vote Obama, but didn't come out. I mean, 40% of all the democrats that voted in the primary voted 'uncommitted". That's 40% saying "NO" to Clinton.

And another thing, Obama supporters don't owe you anything. I keep hearing this "you've disrespected us" stuff. No, we didn't. When Hillary Clinton was being ridiculous and malicious we sat back and we tried to negotiate with her. But all that ever mattered to her was winning. Now she's using her supporters to try and gain leverage.

If you don't want to vote for Obama, then don't. I don't think we should give in to whiny, childish cries for attention. You voted, a lot of other people voted, and Obama won. That's how it works. No one owes you anything.

And if you're a woman and you feel like you've been ignored and you're upset because you think this is men holding women back, think again. I am a woman, and I have always supported Obama. I would love to see a woman president, but I am a political science student, and I have studied both Obama and Clinton and have a working knowledge of the complexity of the issues and I knew Obama was the right candidate. We don't need a democrat who has always stood as a symbol of right-wing opposition. We need someone whose policies work with both sides so that this country can get on track and get things done.

So grow up.

June 5, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  23. FORMER HILLARY SUPPORTER

WOW.......

OBAMA IS AFTER ALL ONCE IN A LIFETIME LEADER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FEMALE FORMER HILLARY SUPPORTER.

June 5, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  24. Time for Unity

To the frustrated Clinton supporters:

We understand your disappointment. You fought a hard campaign and you have lost - perhaps unfairly, though I would disagree with that. But you haven't lost the White House - aren't you Democrats? Please take time to process and then join us as we change the world for the better.

To my fellow Obamacrats:

Please stop attacking the Clinton supporters. They may be lashing out out of anger and frustration, just as some of us might have had the roles been reversed. This isn't like any other primary season in history, and they should be allowed time to come to grips with such a profound disappointment. But given time and treated graciously, most will rise to the occasion and help us chart the future.

It's time for the People to take back the Process, and my hat is off to Sen. Obama for this move to free the DNC from the grip of corporate demogogues. But the only way we can defeat the Republicans in November is to remember that we are different factions of the same team...so I hope Sen. Obama will also encourage his supporters to reach out to the Clinton camp, instead of continuing the bickering that has been an unfortunate part of the last 16 months.

June 5, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  25. arc, Lugano CH

Why are Hillary supporters so angry and hateful? Don't they want their party to win above their misdirected scorned anger towards Senator Obama? Don't they realize a vote for McCain will only prolong the status quo and goes against everything that their candidate stands for? There are so many people in this world, who have endured war, genocide and unmentionable horrors. They would give their right arm to be a bitter Hillary supporter in America. Hillary’s legions of hateful, angry supporters don’t know how good they have it. Hillary's defeat is very much her own fault.

June 5, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |