June 5th, 2008

Obama making imprint on DNC organization

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/05/art.obamadnc.gi.jpg caption="Obama will ask the DNC to stop taking lobbyist and PAC money."](CNN) - Barack Obama is set to ask the Democratic National Committee to no longer accept money from federal lobbyists or political actions committees, CNN has learned from sources at the DNC and the Obama campaign.

CNN has also learned Obama will ask one of his top operatives, Paul Tewes, to help the DNC with its fundraising operation, which has lagged far behind its Republican counterpart this year.

Tewes will be the Illinois senator's eyes and ears at the DNC and see to it that the party and the candidate are in sync, according to sources.

1. Jeremy D

I'm an Obama supporter and this is a good move. But let's be real, it isn't an angelic turnaround. Money still talks in American politics, I think someone even said he is Kennedy and Oprah money, yeah that's fine, but this is the first step towards breaking down the foundation of money talking in politics by taking out its most gross form-lobbyists and PACs.

I really want to hear what Lou Dobbs says because yesterday he challenged Obama and McCain to do this, now that Obama has, will the Independents finally see that this is the best politician since Kennedy?

June 5, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  2. Anonymous

OBAMA in 08!!!!! Now this is a man worthy of being president!

And it's also why 75+% of nations around the world also think that obama will be the better choice...

its time for a change not only in the democratic party but in US government itself, and obama is the one thats going to do it!

June 5, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  3. Charlotte

Well, nice to know some people at least read what others say. I am a democrat, I am not a Republican. I have voted for Republicans in the past because the Democratic Party chose the wrong person in my opinion. It was also the opinion of a lot of other democratcs who crossed over to vote for Reagan. I do not believe Obama is the best person for the job. The DNC has been trying to force Hillary out of the race for along time. That is what I find objectionable. The media has given Obama a free ride. The Wright issue came out because they finally had no choice but to air it. I am not happy my candidate lost, that is true. Once again I am forced to choose an alternative to the nominee. I choose to write in Hillary Clinton.

June 5, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  4. Phyllis Halt

I like Mr. Obama and the fact that he offers change and is willing to go against the grain of "politics as usual". The one factor that bothers me is the "tag" of the first "Africian American" candidate. I acknowledge that he is a person of color, however, he is NOT an Africian-American, he is a "Bi-Racial" American, as much white as black and should be equally as proud of that! Because he is "Bi-Racial" he brings the best of white and black to the forefront. A candidate that truly represents "all Americans". Lest we not forget!

June 5, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  5. CityKitty

In regard to the Michelle Obama video tapes – do your research! That is a hoax. She did not say "whitey" she said "why'd he" DO YOUR RESEARCH before you try to trash someone!

June 5, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  6. William, from Cali

Remember Democrats: " From Day One", it starts in Jan. 2009..............then, its your turn to solve the "Wrongs of the World"; and deal with the "Bad Guys"..........................

June 5, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  7. nowlin

I am very proud to see action in this election!

June 5, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  8. Shelly in IL

FYI @ Tyrone, NY. Senator O gave all the money from Tony Rescko's fund raising to charity. If you want to inform people, inform the right way and not with your head up your butt. ***jerk***

June 5, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  9. Eliodoro

I am a 70 year old immigrant who have lived here for more than half my lifetime and in all those years I have watched politics in this country from a distance and tried not to get involved other than by casting my vote for who I consider as the lesser evil of the candidates.

But this time, it is different. I have never been more inspired by any candidate for the office of the Presidency than Mr. Obama – mostly due to the fact that most everyone else sound like a run-of-the-mill politicians.

But not Mr. Obama. I have read both his books and followed the progress of his political life and noted carefully how he handled crises in this campaign – and I am truly impressed. He uses his intelligence and plain old good common sense – a real indication of how he would run this country.

So impressed I am that I will not hesitate to contribute part of my social security check to his cause – the true American cause.

June 5, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  10. United we make a difference, not through anger and seperation

Kenneth attackers.

I don't agree that we can not move forward without Hillary supporters, but the numbers show that not every Hillary supporter is going to no show or vote McCain. Of those states polled so far, it appears that approximately 60+ % of Hillary's supporters state that they would vote for Obama today, in Obama vs. McCain. It's natural tendency for that number to be lower immediately once the primaries have been completed and grow as the election approaches (regardless of the party and election), so I feel confident that number will grow some by November.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the whole country unite behind one nominee, to strengthen the entire country and it's movement toward fixing the issues and decline this country has been in over the last 8 years. United we can accomplish amazing things and all of history proves that (regardless of the country, territory, group, empire, time period, etc.).

The comments made by some people that they are going to vote for McCain because of the comments of an individual saying we don't need the Clinton supporters that are threatening to vote for McCain may be right in the fact that we don't need your negativity and threats (yes, that's what you're doing....threatening, attacking and trying to create fear in others) is true. I'm sorry that you feel that way but to state, and I quote, "because of comments from people like that, that is why I'm going to vote for McCain" is sad. You will vote for McCain, nearly a polar opposite on the majority of political stances that HRC took, because of a small minority of people commenting on here are angry with HRC??? Those people are willing to vote for the opposite of what their supported candidate (HRC) stood for in order to "teach people/DNC a lesson?? Do that then. Teach the country a lesson and let it continue to spiral down. Watch the issues you were supposed to have stood for continue to take steps backwards for another 4 years. That's teaching all of us a lesson......the DNC, those Obama supporters, Hillary supporters, Independent supporters, the country, it's stance at a global scale, and everyone in this country.....that includes my family, your family, and future generations. The decision on who to vote for isn't based on teaching a group a lesson, or bitterness/anger, it should be based on the overall best thing to do for this entire country.

We all, supporters of any/all candidates, don't need the negativity toward the Clinton campaign, and HRC, either. HRC fought a valiant, strong, campaign and the primary was so close and so heated that it was guaranteed to cause some anger/bitterness from which ever side that lost, but give attacking her does no good in any way shape or form.

June 5, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  11. Erika, KS

Oh, he's making an imprint alright. The DNC has railroaded Hillary Clinton! Their behavior has been disgusting.

June 5, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  12. Greg

Do you honestly think Obama would even make a move like that if he didn't feel he could raise the necessary money or if he didn't already have the money? Come on. He is a Harvard Grad. He is not stupid and far from incompetent. Give him some credit

June 5, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  13. Lance

@Brian Knoxville, TN

OK Brian enough of the cut and paste of the same message in every single post you make. It's getting old just like your politics.

June 5, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  14. Spider

Obama supporters please stop criticizing HRC and her supporters, they are not the enemy, McCain and the republican policies are the enemy. HRC supporters that choose to support McCain, remember you are choosing to continue to kill innocent American soldiers in an illegal war, along with all the other negative things that the republican policies have caused.
    How many of you , if someone had come to you personally and convinced you to do someting by presenting you with false information to support their argument, and you later found out that they lied to you and it cost you something. I doubt any of you would trust that person ever again. Well that's what Bush did to all of us and what McCain wants to continue to do, as he filp-flops from one bad idea to the next.
    Vote Obama. Vote for the truth and the lives of soldiers that don't have a choise.

June 5, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  15. GERALD STROTHER

most of all that is said here are for MCCAIN supporters. And would not volt for obama or Hillary!!! and is fron the Republicans just to get your volts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  16. A New Mexican

Just donated $25 to Obama!

June 5, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  17. pinkie

I am so proud of him, change is on the way this what america needs.
    CLINTON SUPPORTERS get on board it;s time !!!!

June 5, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  18. Anonymous

people seem to think that obama has millions of people giving the maximum 2300$ ... no that was HILARY getting the 2300$ donations

the average obama donator was under 100$ but there were so many supporters that it made up for it...

every article has said in the past thats where hilarys problem came from utilizing big time execs to donate the maximum 2300 to finance her campaign, the problem is she ran out of them while obama had solid supporters that donated small amounts often.

i really hope he sets up a strong online presence for the main campaign as well and continues his new age and much fresher approach to running for the presidency as he did in the primary its refreshing and very liberating to see.

June 5, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  19. MelissaMinneapolis

He already did reject lobbyist and PAC money!

June 5, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  20. Jerry in Boston

Will that include AIPAC?

I doubt it.

June 5, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  21. Ilona Proud Canadian

Would someone pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease, tell me just what Barack has to do, to prove to some of Hillary's supporters that he is sincere, genuine, and the real deal?

To all of the Hillary supporters, who still keep trashing Barack and the DNC, get a life, take your vote and follow the "PIED PIPER"

Just stop with the threats alreaky!1

June 5, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  22. FB

To "Voter"

I am guessing you are a woman,based on the comments about Michelle Obama's clothes.

YOU GIANT HYPOCRITE!!!!!!!!!!!!

You make disparaging comments about Michelle, however, when gender related comments are made about Hillary, all the Hilliots freak out.

She lost. By the rules. Delegates determine who wins the nomination. Hillary new this and couldn't get it done, all the while lying(popular vote claims, Bosnia), trying to change the rules after she agreed to them (MI and FL), accused Obama of being all sorts of awful things, and her supporters excused her.

Hillary cheated, lied, manipulated facts. She is an awful person. I am confident that the 18 mil you refer to are long gone. I know about 100 former HRC supporters that are disgusted with her and her tactics. I am sure there are many more out there. My guess is maybe 1 million former HRC supporters when time comes will vote for McCain. That won't do it. PRESIDENT OBAMA/PRESIDENT OBAMA

Her poltical career is over. And you need to chill and move on, loser : )

June 5, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  23. Chris from Florida

OBAMA 08, DEMOCRAT 08

June 5, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  24. Veronica,nj

Tim in NC........I agree with you 110%!!!!

Obama 08!!! yes we can!!!

June 5, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  25. Voting Obama

Man some of you people entertain me with your lies and hatred. Imma pray for you. First of all Barack is not sexist. Uhh he is married to a wonderful woman with two daughters. If they had this dream he would support them. Stop using that as a sorry excuse. Second I am a HRC supporter yet a voted for Obama because I believe that he will bring change. We all need to stop targetting eachother and figure our how to get our country out of this mess!! HRC supporters, voting for McSame is not going to make it better. He believes in the same thing as Bush.. You would only undo what HRC is trying to do. You are not hurting Obama you are hurting yourself!! Trust me there is nothing you can do to hurt Obama because he has shown how strong he is time after time! Stop being so hateful and get over yourselves! HRC lost so please lets move on!! If HRC would of won, I would vote for her because I am a true democrate and I believe in them both! Stop the drama and vote Obama. You are crying because you didn't get your way. Blame yourself when this country is in depression. Wait to bad it already is....

GOD bless you and your family Obama!! GOD bless all you true Americans who look beyond the eye!!

June 5, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |