June 5th, 2008

Obama making imprint on DNC organization

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/images/06/05/art.obamadnc.gi.jpg caption="Obama will ask the DNC to stop taking lobbyist and PAC money."](CNN) - Barack Obama is set to ask the Democratic National Committee to no longer accept money from federal lobbyists or political actions committees, CNN has learned from sources at the DNC and the Obama campaign.

CNN has also learned Obama will ask one of his top operatives, Paul Tewes, to help the DNC with its fundraising operation, which has lagged far behind its Republican counterpart this year.

Tewes will be the Illinois senator's eyes and ears at the DNC and see to it that the party and the candidate are in sync, according to sources.

1. Jay in Chicago

I think Obama is going to turn a lot of states blue this election. Virginia is one of them. The more people learn about two differing positions between mccain and obama on the three main issues (Iraq, economy, healthcare), they will begin to lean towards one or the other. I think it's safe to say that most informed and intelligent voters will buy Obama's arguments. People voting on the basis of sociocultural issues, might go for mccain. He is a decorated war hero and we honor his service. However, his ideas will not move the country in a new direction and that is undeniable. The GOP will attack Obama's patriotism and resort to fearmongering to win this election. But make no mistake, this election is too important to make a decision based on fear.

Obama 2008-2016, Sebelius 2016-2024, Susan Rice 2024-2032

June 5, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  2. Mike in NYC

Two days after kowtowing to AIPAC.

He doesn't belong to "the people."

No change here, as far as I can see.

June 5, 2008 09:44 am at 9:44 am |
  3. joe

To "John McCain for president"

The number one role for the president is to NOT get the US into illigitimate wars like Iraq in the first place. The old "shoot first and ask questions later" routine is not how this country should be run. Obama has the sense to keep this country out of wars, and to rely on his military leaders if we have no diplomatic options (unlike Bush who disregarded his military team).

June 5, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  4. Lisa

I wish we would stpo the negative talk...Hillary will come around. Stop throwing her name up in every conversation. We need to work together and get things accomplished. All this bickering is crazy. Those of you who will not vote Democrat, stop writing your useless comments and stick with McCain if that is what you are truly feeling. Let's move on and I welcome Hillary in the process. I wish I could say I want her on the ticket, but I don't. I do however, think she is a master at this and she will in fact help him win.

June 5, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  5. Gina

You've got my money Mr. President...I believe in you. Together there's nothing we as a country can't accomplish. I am so VERY PROUD of you. Dear God , please keep him safe, surround him with loyal, intelligent hard working people. Come on Democratics...PLEASE let's show the world once again, that AMERICA is the greatest country in the WORLD!

June 5, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  6. Gerry

Looks like change is already underway. It's time for all democrats to get behind this brilliant candidate

June 5, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  7. MLH

Yes! Senator Obama is right about this. DNC take note. We can do this without the PACs and without the lobbyists, and that is how we would prefer to do it.

June 5, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  8. Marine

First thing to come out of BO's mouth that I can agree with.

June 5, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  9. Anna

The few stubborn people that respond to these blogs do NOT make up the majority of Clinton supporters. I have to believe that the majority of Clinton supporters will jump on board in November to beat McCain. Afterall, Obama and Clinton share a lot of the same views, they just have different views on how to accomplish the same tasks.

Keep in mind, McCain = WWIII

June 5, 2008 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  10. TO KENNETH M

BARACK WILL WIN WITHOUT THE CLINTON SUPPORTERS??? WHAT PLANET ARE YOU LIVING ON??? I DON'T THINK YOU'RE EVEN REAL. YOU'RE A REPUBLICAN AND A MISERABLE ONE

June 5, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  11. Nik, Florida

Maybe he could ask his friend Rezko to donate some money instead.

June 5, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  12. Rich

President Obama would be a better commander than President McCain because Obama is a listener. Rather than just listen to the military point of view, which McCain might do, Obama would listen to the State Dept people and the military people. I believe he would weigh the costs and lives before committing people to harms way more than McCain would. Also McCain seems to have a temper and might not be as open to new approaches as Obama, such as reaching out and talking etc.

McCain is an military man, but from a 1970's approach. Things have changed radically in the approach of military and our role in the world. We can not bully people with might as much as we could 40 years ago.

Also, I believe Obama understands he lacks military experience and will use his ability to bring in experienced people to help him make a decision. McCain also lacks large scale military experience, but I hope he would reach out to people who understand modern military tactics. But I think he would just bomb the hell out of an enemy because that is how to win a war. Oh by the way, that idea doesn't work anymore.

So now explain how John McCain has put the country before the Republican Party.

June 5, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  13. Praetorian, Fort Myers

Yep...his imprint is the party of BS and he's marching under the banner of socialism.

Vote Libertarian–the only party who will really make a change. Bob Barr 2008. Let's eliminate all special interests (even the "good" kind the liberals love) from the teat of the American taxpayers.

June 5, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  14. Keep It Real

I think what Senator Obama is planning to do is one major step towards really achieving change in Washington. However, I think Obama also needs to turn in the $33K he's already accepted from lobbyists and then his slate will be clean. Essentially, he's no where near McCain who has already accepted close to $500K from lobbyists but the point/fact still remains that he has accepted some.

Once he does that, any intelligent person in the United States of America would be silly not to join this man if you really want to see a difference in Washington.

Congratulations now and predictably later Obama!!!!

June 5, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  15. Fish, MN

That's LEADERSHIP, Way to go Barak!!!

June 5, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  16. MrSod

Wow, I hope it works.

June 5, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  17. Don Bezler Columbia,Mo

Enything Obama can do too get the CROOKS [lobbyist] out of Wash. would be a GREAT start.

June 5, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  18. Derrick, Philadelphia

please someone explain to me what Hillary would have gained if the DNC voted to everything she wanted...and exactyl how she wanted it.. with no regard to whats fair to OBAMA...

she still would have lost

why do people keep brinGing up FLORIDA and MICHIGAN?

June 5, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  19. jonathan

I still can't watch the news without tears running down my face.....this man is the real deal and will move this country forward!!!! Thank you Sen. Obama.......Lets take Dr. MLK's dream another step higher!

Obama 08

June 5, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  20. SLIMSISTA

TO CHAROLETTE:

KEEP YOUR NEGATIVITY TO YOURSELF. STAY OFF THE BLOGS...WE HAVE MOVED ON AND IT'S ABOUT BEING POSITIVE FOR THE GOOD OF OUR COUNTRY....

SEEMS LIKE YOU ARE A MISERABLE PERSON...GET SO THERAPHY!!!

OBAMA '08

June 5, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  21. Jon D.

Time.com is reporting that the DNC has agreed not to take money from PACS or Lobbyists at the behest of Obama. NICE!

June 5, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  22. Dan (TX)

With her campaign only "suspended", Hillary is asking all 17 million of her supporters to give $2 to help her failed presidential campaign get out of the red. Come on girls, give Hillary your money so she can get back her $11.4 million! What? Yeah, that's what I thought! 🙂

June 5, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  23. Andrea S of Shawnee, KS

I've never donated money to any party until now.... Obama has inspired me to be a better person...And I will be donating $25 dollars a week until he is elected...

OBAMA 08
    Rewriting History

June 5, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  24. Concerned INDEPENDENT CT voter

********************************************************

It bothers me that people who "HATE" or dis-like Obama can't give a sound reason why they dislike him soo much. I've heard People Say that he "gets" people to say mean things about Hillary, but do you really believe that there isn't anger coupled with ignorance on both sides and that people are going to do and say anything they like... how can anyone truly control millions of other people's actions? Also has it ever occurred to anyone that some Republicans may be having fun on these blogs Posing as Obama supporters?
    *********************************************************

Don't take everything up here sooo Personal.... You may disagree with obama but why so angry? If you don't want to vote for him, fine... But at least give Valid reasons to "hate" him when your shouting on a blog.

-V

June 5, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  25. ???

I just donated $50, that's how impressed I am with this. I never thought I'd see the day when a politician makes a promise AND KEEPS IT!

June 5, 2008 09:49 am at 9:49 am |