June 5th, 2008

Obama, McCain talk

(CNN) - One night after Barack Obama officially clinched the Democratic presidential nomination, the Illinois senator had a short conversation with his rival for the presidency, John McCain.

According to Obama Senior Adviser Linda Douglass, the conversation was cordial, and both said they looked forward to a 'civil discussion.'

1. KP, FL

Obama, DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE. Putting on your fighting gloves and go mano y mano. Si se puede!

June 5, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  2. Obama v McCain

lol..but what was really said was"Let's do this!" "Bring it on!"

June 5, 2008 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  3. Kenneth M

PLACED SIDE BY SIDE, THE US WILL SEE THAT OBAMA IS READY AND MCCAIN IS DONE. THIS RACE IS GOING TO ALLOW THE US TO SEE WHERE WE ARE IN HISTORY. HAVE WE MOVED TO THE POINT THAT WE ARE READY TO START A NEW CHAPTER, OR WILL WE CLING TO WHAT IS NEW. RUSSIA WAS AT THIS POINT AND THEY CHOSE CHANGE OVER THE OLD GAURD. ARE WE ANY BETTER?

June 5, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  4. Susan

The only problem is the Republicans don't know how to run a civil campaign. They play low and dirty. This time, the Democrats will swing right back at them! OBAMA 08!

June 5, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  5. Nikki

Osama, oops I mean Obama, you are the AntiChrist and just so you know you don't fool me. I can read you like a book. You may win this election, but it's only b/c it's God's will; for it is written in the Holy book. I feel sorry for the people who follow you.

June 5, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  6. Dusacre

Give Obama some rest. McCain is up for no good

June 5, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  7. Brian Knoxville, TN

I have voted for Democratic candidates in every primary election, general election, midterm election and recall election (I voted in CA against the 2003 recall of Gray Davis) since 1996, sometimes enthusiastically and other times not so much, and I have donated money to candidates and the DNC since 2004.

But this nomination is the worst failure of Democratic Party leadership that I have ever known. I wish pundits would stop saying that Hillary exposed weaknesses. She didn't. She's a strong candidate with depth. Obama is a weak candidate with nothing but flowery rhetoric and empty slogans. Hillary didn't 'expose' that Obama is sleazy and shallow. He just is sleazy and shallow, and most Democrats who voted in the primaries saw through the smoke and mirrors and saw that he is sleazy and shallow.

The party's leadership has totally failed us.

McCAIN FOR PRESIDENT '08
    A moderate Republican and a qualified leader

June 5, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  8. CW4Barak

Let the games begin!

Obama '08

June 5, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  9. Dave

I heard that Obama said to him..I'm gonna whip that axx old man...CNN please look into this.cause that's a mean thing to say

June 5, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  10. FB

So, just checking the last board.

Hilliots are still whining. Demanding things from the Obama supporters.

Wrong, you were the abnoxious ones. YOU accused Obama of being a racist. The media and the political elite claimed Bill Clinton was a racist.

You have claimed from day 1 that genderism was bringing Hillary down. Wrong, it is her lying and win at all cost attitutde. It is her, and your attitude of inevitability. Remember those days?

You and Hillary have lied (popular vote, Bosnia) and manipulated the rules (FL and MI "it is clear they will not count", to "count all votes". . . but just not caucuses or any state that could hurt me).

And you blind followers regurgitate everything she says without any sort of due diligence.

Many Hillary supportets have already jumped ship. What is left? The crazy women who are blind, and unwilling to apolgize (like Hillary). GO VOTE FOR MCCAIN. Stop threatening and just do it in Nov. In the meantime, SHUT UP!!! We owe you nothing!

June 5, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  11. Char

McCain is Desperate and Broke.

June 5, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  12. Charlotte

I did not know the convention had taken place? To officially clinch the nomination requires a vote at the convention. At least, until this year. Dummy me.

June 5, 2008 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  13. Charlotte

What does Caroline Kennedy know about what the people of America want? She has stayed out of politics and the public eye until now? Was she already asked to be VP? That would explain her sudden attraction to politics. It would also explain Ted Kennedys endorsement over the wishes of the voters in his state. Obama is the presumitive nominee. Until the conventions, no one including McCain, are the nominees. the convention is when the actual votes will be given, until then anything can happen. I will wait until the convention to see the actual results. Out of three possible scenarios on popular votes, Obama is ahead in only one. He is not my nominee. If he is the actual nominee in August and that seems likely, I will at that time know how I will vote in November. I suspect I will have to vote for Hillary, by write-in

June 5, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  14. Didine - Maryland

John Mcain and Barack have good manner. I like them both. But all americains want change and barack is the one who will finally lead our country because he related to our issues more than Mcain.

Obama '08

June 5, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  15. Bryan

Pathetic! I can't believe that CNN has become so one sided. You cut McCain off on Tuesday, your home page today has not one McCain story and your "news"casts are slanted 75% to Obama (and Clinton). Yes, the end of the Democratic nomination struggle is news. So is the historic candidacy of Obama. But, you should strive to be more equal in your reporting - both in time and in critical insight considerations. I, for one, expect more from CNN. (I expect Fox to lean right and MSNBC to lean left. I have always thought that for the most part CNN stayed in the middle. I'm beginning to question that perception. If this continues, where is an independent still trying to figure out who to vote for over the next 5 months to go for down-the-middle news?)

June 5, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  16. David, Silver Spring, MD

A civil discussion? Have you heard the kind of language McCain has been using against Obama? It's like he's daring Obama to take a swing at him.

For all his talk of "my friends," I'm not sure McCain knows how to have a civil discussion.

June 5, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  17. mike

A civil discussion. Mr McSame you will have to educate me on what a civil discussion is!!!

June 5, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  18. Phong Nguyen

It sounds positive until it turns ugly...

June 5, 2008 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  19. Uncle Sam

I believe that, despite the occasional bickering, the American people would prefer a civil discussion. I look forward to the series of town hall meetings to provide a clearer comparison between the two candidates.

June 5, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  20. Andy J, NY

Wow, i can't believe CNN put out a story with McCain in the title.

I just checked and there are 6-8 stories with Obama in the headline, and zero with McCain in the headline, both on the cnn home page and the politics page.

I'm seriously considering abandoning CNN, your bias has become too disgusting to stomach much longer.

June 5, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  21. Michelle from Colorado

Gee, another novel idea by the man who has what it takes to get the job done. Talk to your opponent. I guess this is Obama's way of reaching across the aisle like no other presidential nominee has ever ever done. I wonder if someone suggests he brush his teeth. He would have done it if only he had a tooth brush. Or that he tie his shoes. He would have if someone would have said something sooner. He is no leader. He is a follower and the only thing that has changed about Nobama since last week is that people just like him managed to make him the Democratic nominee. When will the novelty of the color of his skin wear off and people start watching his actions and listening to his boring rhetoric????
    He has no time in my book to show me anything he has done that will help the USA. It's all the same bla bla bla..."here is what I can do if only you would vote for me". the race is much more exciting when you get 2 people who show you what they have already done and how they can and will expand upon it to make our lives better.

June 5, 2008 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  22. Demappeaser

Where is the Rezko story CNN!!!! Can you say coverup? If this was related to a Republican this would be front page story. Is this how the media is unbiasly going to cover Obama.

June 5, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  23. MJAMES

I bet McCain started the conversation with 'My Friends...'

June 5, 2008 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  24. One America

LETS PUT THEM IN THE RING AND SEE WHO'S THE STRONGER CANDIDATE....

OBAMA 08.........

June 5, 2008 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  25. Shrimp Barnicles, somewhere in NY

Obama should pick Chuck Hagel as vice president. If he doesn't get Hagel, he can go with Biden, Webb or Janet.

Hillary as VP will be rolling of the dice.

June 5, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |