June 5th, 2008

Obama, McCain talk

(CNN) - One night after Barack Obama officially clinched the Democratic presidential nomination, the Illinois senator had a short conversation with his rival for the presidency, John McCain.

According to Obama Senior Adviser Linda Douglass, the conversation was cordial, and both said they looked forward to a 'civil discussion.'

1. TJS

How is this possiable? After certain age about 60 we can't not get a job with federal goverment but McCain over 70 can lead the goverment.

This does not make sense. McCain should not be allowed to run for highest Fed job if we can't even apply for any job with goverment at that age.

June 5, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  2. kelly WI

obama doesn't know how to be civil.

June 5, 2008 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  3. Nsikan

Yes, we talk to our friends, our opponents and also our enemies. Can't imagine a world without dialogue. When he won his nomination you call to congratulate him, when you won yours he didn't care to call so, you had to call him. Humble yourself while you're exalted. Thank God for your mom and grand parents that trained you well. Good luck Senator Obama.

June 5, 2008 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  4. Sam

I do so ever wish to have a civil discussion on the big decisions we have to make this fall.

Stay in Iraq or Leave

Overturn Roe v Wade or Keep it.

Leave the healthcare system as it is or Universal healthcare

Cut science funding or Increase investments in the NIH (I do hope this is approved because this will decide whethere or not I still do my research on novel antibacterial drugs in my lab) and other government funded research groups.

June 5, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  5. cletellNY

Any televised debates that take place between McCain and Obama will only work to the latters advantage. One of Obama's strengths is his public speaking abilities and charisma on stage. Mccain however has admitted that he dislikes public speeches and is extremely weak compared to Obama in this regard. I hope it happens as soon as possible so people can get a look at the comparison. BTW did anyone see McCain walk onto the stage with B. Jindel? He looked as if he had a difficult time with those steps.

June 5, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  6. Ron L

While Senator McCain means well and wants to do what he thinks is best for the country, he is NOT the right person to straighten out the MESS President Bush has made. I believe as time goes on and the female voters that supported Hillary reflect on the REAL reasons Hillary lost (Poorly ran campaign, too many negatives from her past, constantly trying to change the rules) they will come to the conclusion the nation will be in a MUCH BETTER situation with Obama leading the country.
    It is CRITICAL that Barack puts out more detail on what he plans to do in his first year and HOW. IF he does that he could easily win by 10 to 15% of the popular vote. The country is ready for CHANGE and he stands for it much better and clearer than Senator McCain.

June 5, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  7. C. CONCERNED CANADIAN

"civil discussions" don't get headlines, but wouldn't it be refreshing.

It would certainly be in keeping with the claims to change that both these men advocate.

June 5, 2008 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  8. arc, Lugano CH

The American people deserve a civil discussion between those who wish to lead the nation. Hillary Clinton proved to be very disappointing in this regard. The nation needs to move forward.

Although I do not intend to vote for John McCain, I respect his service to this country while in uniform and in the senate (at times), and I will listen to what he has to say.

June 5, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  9. Stacy Clarks

LET'S SHOW MCCAIN HOW THE HONORABLE BIG MEN PLAY!!!

REPUBLICANS AS WE KNOW IT ARE GOING DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!

Barack is going to start a new kind of politics in this country, and invites republicans, democrats and independents to join in,

LET'S GO BARACK OBAMA!!!

WE LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  10. Shrimp Barnicles, somewhere in NY

I think Obama will have an easier time with the republicans because the wind is blowing against them. Long war, bad economy, inflation, high fuel prices, corruption and more.

Obama played a lot of defense against Hillary but he must play offense this time around against McCain. He ought to attack from the air, ground and sea in order to win. He also needs to ask top democrates like Hillary, Rahm Emmanuel, Ted , Ed Rendell and Pelosi to campaign very hard for him.

June 5, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  11. James

Lol you got that right. It's like tapping gloves before a boxing match.

June 5, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  12. Tom Eyemdaman

I look forward to a civil discussion of the issues.

June 5, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  13. East Coast Bum

Why is John mcbush talking to his "enemy"? Obama is the bad guy, remember repugs. Flip-flopper with super rich wife. I respect mcbush for what he did years ago, but as the GOP front runner, I can not support you. I want my goverement and country back and repugs sure wont do it so I will vote for Obama. I think Obama should stick it to him and the GOP policies even if he is 71 years old. He will try to play grand-pa and then play dirty, so we must.

June 5, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  14. Derrick, Philadelphia

McCain was probally begging for mercy early

June 5, 2008 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  15. Timothy

I know Obama will be civil. Let's see how McCain and the Repubs behave. I am sure they and FOX News are ready to sling the mud with there "spin" (lies). Doesn't matter, we know our guy!

Go Obama!

June 5, 2008 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  16. Henri Brunot.

One thing that always reflects on any Kennedy is humanity.That's why the black race love the Kennedys ,respect them and see them as one of ours.
    further ,When we think about Martin Luther King ,you see a human a black man of course but not a racist.he loved every body.
    In Obama we see a 1/2 white and 1/2 black because really he couldn't love his mom and hate his dad.There's no doubt Obama love the blacks with a same level he loves the blacks So , we may not be smart enough to see that Obama is sent to reconciliate the whites with blacks.First in Obama I see a Kennedy, a Martin Luther king walking hands to hands toward the white house where together they're going to reorganize the system and save the americans that work so hard daily but living in poverty for the most.
    So, it's not for no reason we're going to have a black president and a white vice-president in the white house.
    Mc-cain represent the end of a regime on the way. ...

June 5, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  17. hmm

But isn't it naive to converse with the enemy? I'm confused.

June 5, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  18. JC from NJ

For those few Obama haters…what is he going to do to our country? Maybe he will wreck the economy, Drive us to a pointless war, Run up the deficit, Make us hated around the world? Been there and living that. Should I continue.
    Now stop your hating and do what most countries in the world are doing at this moment and admire Barack Hussein Obama because whether or not you all like it I and a lot of (ignorant) people are going to do whatever it takes to hear a State of the Union address from this man. How's them apples!
    PS All McCain supporters should be drafted first and if they are women be present on the day when he and his judges overturn a woman's right to choose.

June 5, 2008 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  19. Kenneth M

CLINTON SUPPOTERS SHOULD TAKE NOTE. WE WOULD LOVE TO HAVE YOUR VOTES BUT WE DONT NEED THEM. WE WON WITHOUT YOU BECAUSE OBAMA IS BETTER AT ORGANIZING. WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE THE COMPREHENSIVE PLAN TO BEAT MCCAIN. WHILE ALL ARE TALKING ABOUT HIS CONECTIONS TO ODD PEOPLE HE WILL BE FLANKING THEM WITH SOUND POLICY. IN THE END HIS FOES WILL BE LEFT SCRATCHING THEMSELVES WONDERING "WOW, HOW DID HE GET ME TO VOTE FOR HIM".

June 5, 2008 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  20. MD

By civil discussion, I guess Obama wants to exclude any discussion of experience, vision, and intelligent policy and stick to race, gender and age.

June 5, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  21. fairandstraight

Obama,
    Keep McCain in the spot light, don't let he trick you in to his setting. Invite the media so the American people can see his lack of ability to communicate in a crowd.

June 5, 2008 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  22. BMW

I am pretty sure McCain is a lot less disrespectful than Clinton. Let the G.E. begin and let's get down to the real issues and away from the distracting/usless crap!!! I look forward to it also!

June 5, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  23. Shelly in IL

So respectful, Senator O is. He is a gentleman!

June 5, 2008 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  24. pakuna

the only thing obama clinched is the fact that if he was not black he would not be where is is now. well being black does not qualify a person to be president. he holds citizenship in africa. conflict of interest.

June 5, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  25. Phong Nguyen

After the Florida fiasco, I am turned off from the election and plan not to vote in November... However, I will be watching S. Obama and S. McCain to see if either one of them can change my mind...

June 5, 2008 09:38 am at 9:38 am |