June 5th, 2008

Obama, McCain talk

(CNN) - One night after Barack Obama officially clinched the Democratic presidential nomination, the Illinois senator had a short conversation with his rival for the presidency, John McCain.

According to Obama Senior Adviser Linda Douglass, the conversation was cordial, and both said they looked forward to a 'civil discussion.'

1. spooty

I cant wait until this is over and Obama is the president... Heal the wounds and start a new path. This is the man that will not only change the way US politics is run, but change the world in the process. He makes me feel like there really is hope for the human race.

June 5, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  2. jon

kool that what leadership is about respect and communication between people and nations in a balance state

June 5, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  3. ???

Nothing against McCain, he's a good guy, but after facing Hillary, McCain will be a cake-walk.

June 5, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  4. gary

DONT THINK O.B. IS GOING TO WIN IN NOV. YOU YOUNG HATERS IN O.B.'S CULT HAVE MADE THIS RACE DISGUSTING. WITHOUT HRC ON TICKET ,HE WONT GET HER VOTERS. MCCAIN WILL DISTROY O.B. THIS IS BEEN A FIXED RACE FROM MEDIA, PRESS, SUPER DELIGATES, DNC ETC. BIAS AGAINST A WOMAN LEADER. ALL THE HATE AGAINST THE CLINTONS AND HER SUPPORTERS ,WILL TURN AROUND AND BACKFIRE ON YOU HATERS. AMERICA GETS WHAT THEY DESERVE.

June 5, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  5. Lim

Civil discussion? Excuse me, how about substantive discussion of
    issues that has been sorely lacking, from the candidates and from
    the press.

No more hot air!

June 5, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  6. Independent Voter

Even BO can learn something new. Since he's full vacuous speeches, he knows better than to debate anybody. That requires thinking on your feet, having facts at your command, not empty words.

Hillary scared him big time on this, and of course he couldn't keep up with McCain on facts. One year in the Senate-the next two running for president. Not enough time to absorb much.........

June 5, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  7. Anthony Watkins West Palm Beach, FL

a civil discussion of the issues would mean McCain would have to leave the GOP:)

ah well, Obama will civilly kick his butt!!!!
    Obama today, Obama tomorrow, Obama forever
    (with ironic apologies to George Wallace)

June 5, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  8. The Clear Thinking Independent

Let's keep this about the substantive issues that matter not the superficial ones ...

GOP & CNN ... we're talking to YOU .....

Hint ... flag pins are superficial and airtime given to those types of topics will turn off voters and viewers ..

In fact, when bloggers see conversations being driven in that direction, if 20 of us in a row just typed something like .....

"As an intelligent American voter, I hold CNN and the candidates responsible, for this sophomoric distraction. It's not what I care about".

... we can take back this election process.

June 5, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  9. Andy J, NY

These aren't games. I am so disgusted with the way people view these elections.

If i have to read one more "Democrats Unite!" or "Come to the winning team! Obama 08!", Im probably going to punch myself in the face.

This is not a football game, it is the future of our country. If you took the time to look at Obama's policies instead of listening to his anti-bush empty rhetoric, you would see this guy is a socialist. Pure and simple, wealth redistributing, constitutional rights limiting socialist fascist.

As far as the 2nd amendment goes: We don't pick and choose what parts of the Constitution we like. I'm moving to Montana.

June 5, 2008 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  10. Herman in LA

This is just a ploy because McCain don't like the big crowds because he fears that he would be heckled about the war so this is his escape from the media and non-supporters of the failed war in Iraq. I would urge Barack to be very careful of the darn republicans and McCain. Don't let the republicans dictate what’s going to happen in the general election I don’t trust them for one bit.

June 5, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  11. Doc

Yes sir! Let the games begin. But b4 we start are there rules??? Or does anything go! Cause i'm thinking the focus should be the issues.
    And if you are a Clinton supporter i would hope you either join the rest of us Democrats or gracefully sitout and watch the game from the sidelines.

"To the issues, and the candidates of teh general election, God Bless"
    *Toast*

June 5, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  12. Connie Sturgeon

I think this would be all right if Barack does not let McBush dictate to him when, where and how the meetings are held. I think they should wait for a month at least. I would never offer McBush a ride either let him and the RNC spend their money.Barack also needs to bring a 16×20 or larger poster of Bush and McCain hugging to hang up.

Connie form Indiana

June 5, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  13. Becky, KS

It's not a game! Stop calling it a game. It's very serious business. I wish Obama the best of luck. He's going to need it as it gets swift-boated just like Kerry did.

We know nothing about this new comer to the "game" and as his beliefs slowly come out, those that aren't hidden by the media lovefest, the DNC will know that it backed the wrong candidate.

So cry me a river, Obama. Get used to it. McCain will use everything he can against you. And I believe there are skeletons in your closet. But hey, you should have thought about this before you entered "the game."

June 5, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  14. RM

History will be made in this election.

Obama '08 and '12!!

June 5, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  15. election watcher

Which is more distracting, anyway: McCain's swollen jaw or Obama's big ears? America decides in November '08

June 5, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  16. Dccret

If America was a corporation and based off the performance of the last couple of years in all areas like the economy, foreign policy, healthcare and security to name a few, you would have the CEO removed and when you are searching for a new CEO, I don’t think you would hire one with a similar resume as his predecessor. The John McCain of old is the one I would have probably voted for in this election, the new John McCain I will not; that being said, I will vote for Barack Obama in November. In review the things that matter to me, this is how I score these two candidates.

1. Economy Obama
    2. Education Obama
    3. Energy & Oil Obama
    4. Foreign Policy Obama
    5. Woman and Civil Rights Obama
    6. Homeland Security McCain
    7. Universal Healthcare Obama
    8. Immigration McCain
    9. Iraq War Obama
    10. Iran Obama

As you can see, I am voting based of the issues. IT’S REALLY THAT SIMPLE!

June 5, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  17. Ralph Jackson

I think that both candidates are prepared for a civil campaign against one another and I really look forward to seeing the debates. But I really thing that it's time for a change in the way this nation is view domestically and abroad...

Obama '08!

June 5, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  18. martin

i wonder if he called him mcbush?hahahaha

June 5, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  19. Ironman

I dont believe HRC can undo what she did, It might be too late. Hopefully the history books will be kind to her and not call her the Great Devider of 2008. What do you call it when Democrats that support Hillery become bitter and want to prove a point?

What do you think the History books will say about HRC?

June 5, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  20. Murph

Make college affordable

Please, Please, Please

Tuition just increased 7%

Help me

I am a starving college student

June 5, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  21. Paul

This will probably be the only "civil" conversation the two have before the Republican scum begin their swiftboat Obama campaign.

June 5, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  22. Dan Cahill

I like it. Both these guys profess and seem to generally practice cutting through partisan BS. I think all Americans, Republican, Independent, Democrat, are tired of partisan bickering and political manuvering that lowers the level of discussion in Washington. Hope they also follow that idea for a number of Lincoln-Douglas style debates ... that both McCain and Obama have seemed to agree on ...

I certainly think Obama, at least rhetorically, is a lot better than many of the fire-mouthed democratic pres candidates that have come before him .. and McCain seems to b e a lot less partisan and of an idealogue than the GOP nominees before him ...

June 5, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  23. DLF

Don't count on it!!!

Clinton held back because she was so supportive of the party that literally PI$$ED on her!

But McCain is not beholden to the Democratic party and he can turn it loose on Obama!

Even so, there are ways McCain can come down hard on Obama without coming across as being excessively negative.

This ex Hillary supporter who also contributed to her campaign is keeping his promise and will now support and vote for McCain!

June 5, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  24. Matt in Cleveland

im surprised mccain would not only agree to this setup but would suggest it...it doesn't seem like a forum where he would come across very strong.

obama is a much better public speaker and has the ability to fire up a crowd...i think this will be a disaster for johnny

June 5, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  25. KP, FL

Why doesn't CNN ever post my pro-Obama, anti-Cinton views. I was the very first post today and post that were generated 30 minutes later have been posted any mine still awaits moderation. This happened all day yesterday. I am pissed and am now going to MSNBC for my news. Clinton News Network is souring my mouth.

June 5, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |