June 5th, 2008

Obama, McCain talk

(CNN) - One night after Barack Obama officially clinched the Democratic presidential nomination, the Illinois senator had a short conversation with his rival for the presidency, John McCain.

According to Obama Senior Adviser Linda Douglass, the conversation was cordial, and both said they looked forward to a 'civil discussion.'

1. haas

I look forward to hearing the two candidates discuss the issues. No more petty bickering from the Clinton camp. Thanks Hillary for bowing out. It's the right thing to do.

June 5, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  2. Barack Obama 44th president

I think McCain is a little intimated by Obama. He knows Sen. Obama is a very formidable opponent, and favored to win the presidency.

It's time for REAL change in Washington, it's time for Barack Obama for president !

June 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  3. Axel

Can't the Republicans just apologize for 8 years of disasterous policy ? Don't they at least owe us that ?

🙂

June 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  4. Nicole in NE

I think McCain will probably stay pretty respectful, but I do believe the RNC and other organizations will run a smear campaign.

I care about who will listen to the Average American who struggles? Sorry – but that person is NOT John McCain!

June 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  5. Dave, IN

Obama neighbor Tony Rezko is convicted of 16 counts of wire and mail fraud, money laundering, and aiding and abetting bribery for selling government jobs in Illinois. This latest example of Candidate Obama's lack of perception and judgment adds to a growing list:
    "That's not the Tony Rezko I knew."
    "That's not the Father Michael Pfleger I knew."
    "That's not the Bill Ayers I knew."
    "That's not the Reverend Wright I knew."

Think how you will feel when President Obama says,
    "That's not the Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (Iran) I knew", or
    "That's not the Kim Jong Il (N. Korea) I knew" or
    "That's not the Khaled Meshal (Hamas) I knew."

Maybe they can talk about that.

June 5, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  6. Agent of Change from FL

I agree, BMW, we do not need anymore bickering between the candidates (that's child's play), we need to discuss the issues.

AND.......

Eventually vote for Barack Obama! LOL

June 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  7. Matt

I'm guessing the conversation went something like this...

McCain: "Hey Barack, let's have town hall meetings and field blind questions from a wide range of Americans, not just debate moderators."

Barack: " Ummm John...I ummmm....well ummmmm...Ok, gotta ummmm go."

June 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  8. Obamacrat!

If any of you really believe we're in for a "civil discussion on the issues" you haven't been paying attention.

While Senator Obama had his attention focused on his campaign vs. Senator Clinton McCain was throwing spears at Obama's back; repeatedly bringing up “distracting, useless crap” like Hamas "endorsing" Obama and his relationship with the Reverend Wright. If you want to get down to the real issues and away from the "distracting, useless crap," you better not watch this race, because just as I'm sure that Obama will continue to take the high road I'm equally as sure that McCain will continue to perpetrate the same old republican campaign strategies.

June 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  9. John G Charleston SC

both men have indicated that they would like to keep this contest civil and gentlemanly. I am looking forward to this race. May the best man win.

June 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  10. PJ

I hope that these two campaigns can keep to what they both said they would and Stick to the issues. I think it is important for the dialog to consist of current and important events, not Obama's former Pastor and not McCain's age or past issues with federal lobbyists or political actions committees.
    I think that we have two, VERY smart guys here that both care for their country deeply. Lets see how the country responds.

Go Obama!

June 5, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  11. randy

May be the will say let's get ready to rumble.I don't think it hash convasation may be as the said normal.

June 5, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  12. B

Hey Nikki:

The anti christ is gonna be middle eastern. Re-read your bible.

Go Obama!!!

June 5, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  13. Paul, FL

"Civil Discussion...??"

The republican party isnt capable of "civil discussion"!!
    It will be dirty, sly tactics from McCain... He has already started!
    Which is why Obama will win in November

People are sick and tired of the republican party!!

June 5, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  14. Ngaruiya, Limuru, Kenya

Interesting campaign fight ahead.

June 5, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  15. John W., Milwaukee, WI

McCain knows he is dealing with a spoiled child who feels he is entitled because he is black... let the contest begin.

It will be harder for the 46 year old black man and his supporters to beat up on a 71 year old military man than it was for them to beat up on a 60 year old lady...

June 5, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  16. Don Bezler Columbia,Mo

Obama can be a BETTER liar if he debates McCain who learned from
    the BEAT [BUSH] the best LIAR in HISTORY.

June 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  17. B

Oh yea, Niki:

oh yeah, and a few more prophecies in the bible have to come to past before the anti christ comes into play. again...re read ur bible.

🙂

yes we did!

June 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  18. Sujith

To all the Democrats(NO REpubeLICANS PLEASE) – CNN please post !
    I am an Obama supporter and i respect HRC supporters choice.But the FACT is the primaries are OVER.I also know it can
    be tough to suddenly let go, especially when your candidate did not win.
    We are all adults, though sometimes our action/blogging says otherwise.Trust me on this one, we have been mean to EITHER SIDES, and
    all of us – each one of us – are to be blamed for that.
    Just because your candidate is a woman, she doesnt get any special treatment.She is the one who decided to run and what she got is not different from
    what any one of the possible candidates would get.Sometimes it was tough, but hey, she knew what she was getting into and she was BOLD enough to
    go forward despite knowing the challenges.I respect her for that and she is indeed an inspiration to all.

If its time you need to heal, you should take that.We respect that.Keep away from the blogs or sites which are infested with democrat impersonators aka repubelicans, who are trying to split the party or sway your support to
    their old candidate.Most of the threats like "he needs her more than she needs him" or "this life-long democrat will vote for Mccain" come from repubelican slimes.
    Weed them out.

We need somebody who can think clear and think for all of us(includes the rest of the world too).
    Options :
    46 vs 71/Change vs Old politics.

We are all fed up of the stupid president that led us to were we are now.We know that.Continuing to support the failed policies, is that the best choice we can make?
    NO – we are SMARTER and BETTER than that !

If you still want to hold the grudge, whats the worse that can happen ? You will not support the democratic party candidate and Mccain will be the president.
    You smiling and saying, so what if the gas prices go up further? or people cannot drive to work? or my son/daughter dies in some foreign soil? or people cant afford healthcare? or women have no say on their productivity rights?, I TAUGHT OBAMA a lesson!.
    After all the excitement subsides, Will you be able live with the reality?

This election is bigger than any candidate – i know it, you know it too !Dont let emotions cloud your judgement.
    If you can still picture yourself voting for McCain, all i can do is shake my head !

June 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  19. Steve the Soothsayer

Civil discussion requires truth-telling. Lies and distortions are unacceptable to people of reason. As a first step in the verification process, let's have both men's complete voting records laid out clearly in the media for all to see. Should either man have voted in opposition to his stated principles, let him explain why. The town hall meeting format for debate and discussion is ideal in that it tends to filter out media bias, provided that the questioners are selected randomly by an impartial monitor.

June 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  20. sophia nyc

McCain't called to congratulate Obama and Hillary DIDN"T! How's that for civility?

June 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  21. Phil Newton Murphy, Oregon

I look forward to their unscripted debates.

No cue cards. No script.

Let's get real.

OBAMA 08

June 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  22. Confused.

Nikki June 5th, 2008 9:06 am ET wrote:

Osama, oops I mean Obama, you are the AntiChrist and just so you know you don't fool me. I can read you like a book. You may win this election, but it's only b/c it's God's will; for it is written in the Holy book. I feel sorry for the people who follow you.

Girl what U smokin'. It is not written in the Bible that Obama is the anti-christ. He does not fit the bill of the prophesied anti-christ. READ the Bilble again, and think about what you are reading. I am sure you will see your error or just start back takin' yo meds...

June 5, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  23. C

mccain is old and ugly.

June 5, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  24. McCain

If McCain want a civil discussion – then tell him to call of the Bush's good old boys along with Karl Rove running the Swift boat gang. They are starting their crap again to sink Obama – just like they did John Kerry. Mccain will do anything to win because the republicans are afraid of Obama.

June 5, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  25. erik b

they really think obama is a chump because he brings a different kinda politic to the table.calling all these debates.the talk about all the speeches he does.the debate aint to muck different.

June 5, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |