June 5th, 2008

Obama, McCain talk

(CNN) - One night after Barack Obama officially clinched the Democratic presidential nomination, the Illinois senator had a short conversation with his rival for the presidency, John McCain.

According to Obama Senior Adviser Linda Douglass, the conversation was cordial, and both said they looked forward to a 'civil discussion.'

1. Charlotte

While reading the comments on Oprahs happy dance, I was struck by the number of people who say we who don't vote for Obama are racist. They say that it is ok to vote for him only because he is black but not ok to vote against him because he is black. Color has nothing to do with my vote. I could vote for Colin Powell, in a heartbeat. Obama is a blackman with nothing on his resume to convince me he is qualified. I will not vote for McCain, I will however, write Hillary on my ballot in November. I have never, in my adult life written in a candidate, I will this year, even if I am the only one. I also hope Hillary does not choose to be his running mate, she would ursurp him without even trying. Why? Because everone knows who should be in charge. You cannot, as President, have someone better qualified as a running mate. Even Caroline Kenndy as VP would be a threat to his authority. I don't know where he will find someone who won't out shine him?

June 5, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  2. Concerned INDEPENDENT CT voter

Yes... However Ignorant people across the nation want to see blood... this is a sad thing that Obama thinks that the vast majority of people in this country are above being spiteful and proud...

Pride can kill you America.. be careful not to let anger lead you

-V

June 5, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  3. Angela Hunter

Obama, understands that a leader has to prepare and not go off the cuff. It is the sign of an idiot to have a debate and not come prapared. This is not what leaders should do, a when a whole nation is watching. It would be careless, and juvenile. Leaders have a responsibility to chose their answers carefully because their response will affect many people. Preparation is the sign of a true leader, not some hot headed juvenile remarks from McCain's old policies and old and tried war answers. Obama is coming with new ideas, and new ideas need tweeking and refining. Obama you call the shots, don't get pressured, he needs you!!!

June 5, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  4. MC, Pa

Dem will win landslide in Nov on all fronts.

June 5, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  5. CNN the best ?

To all the Democrats(NO REpubeLICANS PLEASE) – CNN please post !
    I am an Obama supporter and i respect HRC supporters choice.But the FACT is the primaries are OVER.I also know it can
    be tough to suddenly let go, especially when your candidate did not win.
    We are all adults, though sometimes our action/blogging says otherwise.Trust me on this one, we have been mean to EITHER SIDES, and
    all of us – each one of us – are to be blamed for that.
    Just because your candidate is a woman, she doesnt get any special treatment.She is the one who decided to run and what she got is not different from
    what any one of the possible candidates would get.Sometimes it was tough, but hey, she knew what she was getting into and she was BOLD enough to
    go forward despite knowing the challenges.I respect her for that and she is indeed an inspiration to all.

If its time you need to heal, you should take that.We respect that.Keep away from the blogs or sites which are infested with democrat impersonators aka repubelicans, who are trying to split the party or sway your support to
    their old candidate.Most of the threats like "he needs her more than she needs him" or "this life-long democrat will vote for Mccain" come from repubelican slimes.
    Weed them out.

We need somebody who can think clear and think for all of us(includes the rest of the world too).
    Options :
    46 vs 71/Change vs Old politics.

We are all fed up of the stupid president that led us to were we are now.We know that.Continuing to support the failed policies, is that the best choice we can make?
    NO – we are SMARTER and BETTER than that !

If you still want to hold the grudge, whats the worse that can happen ? You will not support the democratic party candidate and Mccain will be the president.
    You smiling and saying, so what if the gas prices go up further? or people cannot drive to work? or my son/daughter dies in some foreign soil? or people cant afford healthcare? or women have no say on their productivity rights?, I TAUGHT OBAMA a lesson!.
    After all the excitement subsides, Will you be able live with the reality?

This election is bigger than any candidate – i know it, you know it too !Dont let emotions cloud your judgement.
    If you can still picture yourself voting for McCain, all i can do is shake my head !
    CNN please post this !

June 5, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  6. Tony of Michigan

We shall see.It'll be the other folks who'll start the nasty's(you know the third party like "Move On ORG")I doubt it'll stay Civil.If the GOP feels they are in trouble it"ll get very nasty.

June 5, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  7. PJ

DOES anyone else think that Charlotte needs vacation?
    Anger, Hatred and denile....All clasic signs of needing vacation...

Charlotte, didn't you hear. Saturday Clinton is dropping out. She is going to back Obama, like MILLIONS of others. He (Obama) just like McCain won their party's votes to be the Nom. at the Convention...
    Get off the "I'm a pissed off Hillary supporter" and become "Now is the time to move forward and change"......What do you say?

June 5, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  8. Glenn

I know Obama will be cordial, but McBush lacks the character to live up to their agreement. He will make uncordial remarks and quickly apologize, but the damage is done. Then his campaign will make uncordial remarks and he will apologize, but again the damage is done. Then some state GOP campaign or some "swift boat "group will attack and he says he has no control over them. When Obama responds to the attacks, then McBush starts his wimpy whinning. McBush may have been a war hero, POW and a pilot but none of those experiences 40 years years ago equate with the ability to lead, the competence to lead, the vision to lead or the the intelligence to lead. His age, senility and health are serious issues that need to be addressed. Also, Cindy's past and problems will be an issue. His support of Bush's war and economic issues will be even more of an issue. The country can ill afford to have McBush or the GOP in office after their disastrous eight years of Bush.

June 5, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  9. Mike in NJ

What is with this antichrist nonsense? It seems we've got a lot of stupid, ignorant people out there. These Hillary backers are as out of touch with reality as she is. Get over it.

June 5, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  10. YES WE CAN! YES WE WILL

That is good, but Obama needs to get McCain on his own turf, debates and speeches. McCain wants to do 10 townhall style meetings because that is his strongest area so they say, but I question that, McCain does not appear to have a chance against Obama when it comes to speaking to people McCain is all over the place when it comes to delivering a message he flip flops from one thing to another as if he forgets what he has recently said about any issue besides staying in Iraq. We nee to know more of what McCain understands about the economy because it is questionable what with Graham his adviser's shady history. Graham is said to be responsible for much of the mortgage downfall and he is advising McCain to have UNREGULATED mortgage policies that could only benefit banks and mortgage companies. That my friends is the worst thing for homeowners, it would leave them unprotected.

McCain knows NOTHING about the economy everything he has said thus far has been from Graham, I can't wait for that to be reported on.

June 5, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  11. Travis (in the real world)

This will be fun to watch....McSame will stumble and stutter just like his idot idol Bush. Without notes in front of him or Leiberman to help him correct his answers he'll be doomed. I think McSame bit off more than he can chew by challenging Obama.

McCain will start off by saying "My Friend", and give that silly grin. At that point most people will be laughing their heads off saying....I told you so, I won the bet.

June 5, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  12. Dan (TX)

I know it probably won't happen, but what a pleasant surprise if both candidates could run "civil" campaigns focused only on the issues without the meddling of the press, pundits, and special intrests!? Oh well, back to reality.....

June 5, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  13. Clinton Supporter

Go get Obama, President McCain!!

Clinton Supporter!!!

June 5, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  14. Mish

@nikki ....go spew your ludicrous rhetoric elsewhere
    your exactly one of the reasons America needs change and needs it BIG time

Good luck Senator Obama on the next phase of the general election!!

June 5, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  15. Kenneth M

HEY, EVEN IF OBAMA DOES LOOSE, HE STILL DID BETTER THEN CLINTON!

June 5, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  16. Jim in Texas

No matter how you "spin it", Obama attended and supported a racist church for twenty years........if it were a white man in reversed roles that would be the end of it. In my own heart I can not support someone with his (Obama) background and inexperience no matter how great he may sound.

June 5, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  17. Dena in SC

The one who is behind and desperate always asks to talk. Obama, the ball is in your court. McCain is going to choke with Iraq around his neck, not to mention the economy and taxes. Democrats are sweeping local elections–as the Republicans admit, the canary in the coal mine has died in all of the special elections, the so-called Rebublican strongholds!
    It's celebration time!

June 5, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  18. Peter

All of these "Hillary Supporters" claiming they will vote for McCain are FAKES....don't believe it. I swear they are worse then spam bots flooding message boards with this non-sense. These people never really "supported" Hillary in the first place. And if they did actually check the ballot for Hillary, it was a vote against Obama, not out of support for Hillary......you can take that to the bank! Prove me wrong!

June 5, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  19. VeriTas

I think this will be an interesting and relatively civilized campaign.
    The Obama/Clintonzilla nightmare is finally over and we don't have to listen to her whining any more.
    Obama is very likable and McCain is very old – these things do tip in favor of Obama.
    I actually am in favor of Obma picking Clinton for the VP slot. I do think it would be a dream ticket, indeed. In this case a dream ticket for McCain!!! But I would be very disappointed with Obama's strategists if they dont convince him otherwise.
    Talking is good and now we are looking at the next president in every debate, EVERY debate (we just dont know which one it is).
    Let the games begin!

June 5, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  20. LB

Hillary supports it's time to give it up. Hillary would not want you to act this way in the general election. Do not do this to her legacy. If you turn against Obama because he won then it will go down in history that the CLINTONS distroyed the democratic party. Is this how you want Hillary remembered??? Why would you want that for Hillary if you really truely did supporter her. Do not distroy her good name by not voting for Obama.

June 5, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  21. Denial

One thing i find amussing is that Mc Cain talks about iran, Iraq & Isarel so much .. it's like he's running for President in those 3 countries ..

What about the people in the US .......... how can u lessen/aliviate their struggles ....... that's one thing i haven't heard mc cain talk about ........ the more he talks about iran/iraq & isarel .. the more he loses votes .

people's primary concern is the domestic issues (ecinomy, education, energy, heath care)

DEMOCRATS 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  22. Cheyenne

In response to someone's previous comment, Obama is not the Anti-christ. This is being paranoid and just plain ridiculous. Such a ridiculous claim could lead me to believe that you are truly racist, but don't want to show it so you cover it with some insane claim. Thank you for feeling sorry for all Obama supporters, but I feel sorry for you for believing such a senseless and close-minded argument. Thanks though! Oh, and by the way, we don't say someone is bad because their name is CLOSE to someone else's (Osama); is this 4th grade?

OBAMA '08!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  23. carolflowery

Funny, Rezko was found guilty about 2 days after the grand historical moment happened, what charity did the Obama camp send that blood money to, and the every perky fellow Rev Wright (Farrakhan) buddy says he's not retiring, this whole thing is a joke, why because some numbnut is running around shouting "Change" It's Our Time, what the hell does that mean

June 5, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  24. Clinton Supporter

Tonya, Richmond, VA June 5th, 2008 9:48 am ET

Obama get in McCain!!

He's old and I hope he falls over and dies.

Wait that was mean.
    ==============================

The best thing that could happen to this country is for Obama to fall over and die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  25. robert ga

The only reason mccain is doing this is to try and exploit Obama's weakness when he is attacked personally about family friends or church issues. Just like Clinton did in their last debate.
    Mccain is being fooled by the republican campaign establishment to believe that they are going to have a civil town hall talk.

I will beware if I was Obama, Mccain seems to have thought about this a long time. Take some time Obama to think about this and go in on your own terms.

Mccain want to have a civil debate , but I don't think that Rovians are thinking of the same thing.
    Go DEMS