June 5th, 2008

Obama, McCain talk

(CNN) - One night after Barack Obama officially clinched the Democratic presidential nomination, the Illinois senator had a short conversation with his rival for the presidency, John McCain.

According to Obama Senior Adviser Linda Douglass, the conversation was cordial, and both said they looked forward to a 'civil discussion.'

1. Scott, Newport KY

Just what are Obama's qualifications to be the President of the United States? Anybody?

June 5, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  2. DrMan

What is this about Obama caring for the average American? What has he advocated for high food and fuel prices? Investing in green infrastructure which will take years to implement? He talks about change, but it's still the same modified Robin Hood scenario – take from the rich and give to the government.

June 5, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  3. emmanuel

obama is gonna beat john come what may coz we will fund our compaign. obama 08 go!!!!!!!!!!obama go

June 5, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  4. Chris

I can't wait to see debate between McCain and Obama. McCain definitely has upper hand as he has more knowledge and experience that Obama. As Hillary supporter, I am more inclined towards McCain than Obama. To me experience matters more than 'hope' and 'change'.

June 5, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  5. Donna

Obama can not beat McCain.

He ought to reach out to a military backer to support him
    The military wasn't even brought up in his last two speeches in serving our country

June 5, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  6. The Lantern

Anyone who votes for McCain b/c they are too childish to stop whining that Hillary did not win the nomination is an idiot. Period. THAT is what fails the Democratic Party. Not the "Democratic Leadership". 4 more years of a war your grandchildren will be paying for? 4 more years of privatetized insurance cpmpanies so that countries like India, England and Canada are still ahead of us in taking care of their own people? More tax breaks for the rich? You'd actually vote for that b/c you're a sore loser? Why be a party member at all...

June 5, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  7. Harry

The Republicans have a two-pronged approach. They will try to make McCain look fair, honorable and even sensitive while his cronies throw the kitchen sink at Obama. The best forum for McCain to present his "positive campaign" image is the town hall meeting where you can expect him repeat and then denounce the swift-boat attack ads and outrageous accusations against his opponent. He wants to avoid press-moderated debates and even You Tube type debates where he is more likely to be held accountable for his campaign's bad behavior.

June 5, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  8. Bob

From the posts by Obama supporters, I think they can't quite understand what being civil means. So immature.

June 5, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  9. GO HILL!

Everytime I get to a point where I could stomach voting for Obama, the CNN "best political team" opens their mouths and bash Hillary. They have made my decision for me, NOT to vote for BO, and it just confirms the bias and sexism I have seen against Hillary since last year.

June 5, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  10. Independent white woman for Obama

Rove is working for McSame, so expect smear, fear, and lies.

June 5, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  11. Voter

No what they are saying is no durty talks or ads

June 5, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  12. jcw

Who placed the call and what time was it?

Dccret, I would give it to the Democrats on immigration because they believe in rules. (Just ask my fellow Michiganians.) That means they will now enforce rules on entering the country and leaving when your visa expires.
    Michigan loves immigrants – Go Wings

June 5, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  13. JS

McSame\Bush 2008!!!!

June 5, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  14. KMAN

So, when will McCain's and the RNC's civility begin??? Please HURRY ... I just started to hold my breath!!

June 5, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  15. @Bryan

I thought you were a Hillary supporter, turns out you are one of those reupubelican slimes.BUSTED !
    Incase you dinn know your choice is clear – 1000 year old stupid McShame !

June 5, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  16. Democrat 4 EVER

NIKKI............the AntiChrist ?...........Who are you (MS CLEO) so a man or woman think it so is he or she.YOU NEED PRAYER!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  17. Jeff - Illinois

I am constantly stunned when I read these message boards. Half of you whine about this or that, and the other half spend their time repeating things they have heard from others that are generally not true. Just once, I wish people would comment on what matters. This need to watch the process like a sport, instead of getting in the game yourself to confront the serious problems facing all of us, baffles me.

McCain or Obama are only as good as the people that support them. IF you want change demand it. If you want one candidate or another work for them, vote for them, refute the rhetoric...

June 5, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  18. Noel

haha, Charlotte, you are such a troll placed by the clinton campaign on these blogs to tote your useless rhetoric.
    Ive been reading for a while now, and I really do enjoy how you come on and post messages that have absolutely nothing to do with the actual article but instead you push some agenda that the campaign wants you to.
    If you and the rest of the Clinton supporters want to vote McCain, or write in Hillary and take away democratic votes and try and sabotage the presidential run, go right ahead. The Obama camp will do fine without you idiots. And then in 4 or 8 years time, when you and everyone you know is living in a trailer because they cant afford their housing, and when your children cant afford to go to college because you cant find a job that pays well enough, or they simply dont have the grades because the US education system is failing miserably, and when you thousands of american men and women having to leave home for their 10th tour of duty in Iraq, and when you see US respectability completely shattered around the world by virtue of the arrogant and insensitive way we conduct foreign policy..... THEN, you can turn to your son or daughter or whoever and say, IM SORRY, Im sorry I completely ruined your future, that was the dumbest day of my life.... but knowing you Hillary supporters, youd probably say in the same breath "I'm glad I made my point".
    So congratulations, do what you need to do, and when the fertilizer hits the fan, you only have yourself to blame.

June 5, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  19. DAN

McCain will be a good president, conservatives can't stand him and many republicans don't like him but he's everybodies best choice now that Hillary 's out. He's more to the center and will get the independents who are a growing movement and anybody who knows a bit of history knows he is not like Bush, this guy went to war for his country something Obama and Bush would never do. Obama voted for Bush and Chenney's energy bill and now we're paying big bucks at the pump but McCain voted against giving them are tax money in subsidies. Obama=Bush the incompetance team. Vote for McCain

June 5, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  20. Paul - New York

I hope that Obama understands that when McCain takes all of Hillary Clinton's voters and wins, may be he should have made her the VP. McCain probably told him that and said that if he doesnt take her, he will. Won't that be interesting.

June 5, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  21. Jon, MI

"This will probably be the only "civil" conversation the two have before the Republican scum begin their swiftboat Obama campaign."

If this is how Obama and his supporters plan on uniting the country, by calling those who disagree with them "scum," then change is an empty promise, we can count on 4-8 more years of business as usual.

June 5, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  22. john

obama/sebelious08.

June 5, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  23. California Voter

Voters - do not follow the news blindly – -think for yourselves.

June 5, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  24. Nick Bruemmer

I hope that Obama doesn't cave in on the pressure of getting that *&^%Hillary as VP/ All she has done is belittle Obama and keep saying she is entitled to the Presidency. I don't know where she ever got that idea. If that is what she believes, all first ladied should be entitled to the job.
    Please do not fall for her crocadile tears ans sexist remarks.

June 5, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  25. Independent-Cuban-American-woman-voter-for-Obama

Good, I think that perhaps we will see a new kind of campaign this fall! A campaign where the candidates talk about ISSUES and their plans, rather THAN TEARING EACH OTHER APART!

Most people I know, in their 50's are sick and tired of the RNC's swiftboating, destructive ads, brutal personal attacks! They WONT work this time!

We, the people, would like to know where the candidate stands on various issues....... we want and DESERVE an intelligent debate rather than just destroying one another!

June 5, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |