June 5th, 2008

Obama to campaign in Virginia with Webb

Obama's campaign sees Virginia as a 'pivotal' state.

Obama's campaign sees Virginia as a 'pivotal' state.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Newly minted Democratic nominee Barack Obama will kick off his general election campaign on Thursday with a pair of campaign stops in Virginia, signaling that the Illinios senator thinks he can turn the once solidly-red state into a Democratic pick-up this fall.

The day will culminate with an evening rally in northern Virginia, where Sen. Jim Webb, often mentioned as a possible vice presidential candidate, will make his first campaign appearance with Obama.

Virginia has not voted for a Democrat in November since Lyndon Johnson took the state in 1964, but for more than a year, Obama's campaign has cited the state's 13 electoral votes as part of their argument that he can re-shuffle the electoral map this fall. Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor said the commonwealth will play a "pivotal role" in the general election.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Virginia
  1. Sandra Mordecai

Its a good day in America that we as Americans have looked at the content of Obama's character and not the color of his skin. We looked at his policies and the Hope and Inspiration of a Leader and said Yes We Can!

June 5, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  2. martin

c'mon virgina!vote for barack!no more republican warmongers!

June 5, 2008 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  3. Spider

A fool (McCain-Bush) vents all his feelings, but a wise man (Obama) holds them back.

The USA is in the mess it's in because of republican policies, which totally disrespect the American people. You can choose to keep killing and stealing by voting for McCain, or you can choose life, prosperity, and honor by voting for Obama.

June 5, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  4. Pat

A vote for Hussein would be insane...Write In Hillary...Lou Dobbs VP!

June 5, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  5. Anonymous

Whoohooooooo! Go President Obama and VP Webb!! By the way why is white america letting ONLY african americans lay claim to Barack Obama??! He is the best of both our world 🙂 white and black

June 5, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  6. ANGIE

go obama go webb crush that old man mccain webb for vp i cant wait for the obama mccain debates but i wondering is mccain gonna talk about anything other than war and iraq and iran what about the economy healthcare education global warming mccain seems to be pretty lost on those subjects and when he does speak about them he sounds like bush no mcbush no mcsame obama for president webb for vp A VOTE FOR MCCAIN IS A VOTE FOR BUSH 3RD TERM!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  7. sheep

wow no blood money that washington is used to ???and people question change being for the good.? It does start from the bottom up. This is the first step into puting americans voice back into goverment . Some people will never accept change , they'll complain about big goverment . outsourcing there jobs, high gas prices , but complaining about the process to get rid of the corruption side of goverment . He wants to give our country back to us and some are afraid of him ??Do people really know what they want ? time to put your money where your mouth is .

June 5, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  8. abdel

obama will be our next president , yes he will be the best pr because of his new ideas and hobe

June 5, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  9. therealist

Do the math.

Hillary's been saying it for months now, Obama can't win the national electoral vote...

June 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  10. SL

It will be interesting to see what type of chemistry Obama and Webb have, since Webb is being talked about as a potential running mate.

Go Obama!!!!!!!!!! The excitement is rising!!!

June 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  11. jd

OBAMA/WEBB / 08. No division, good ticket!

June 5, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  12. Red to Blue

Lets make VA BLUE!!

Obama 08!

June 5, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  13. Bob from Richmond VA

I agree with Bobi – Webb might not be the best choice. Kaine is popular in the state and would be a better choice.

June 5, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  14. Olivia

We and the world doesn't know Obama.
    Rezko...Wright...Phleger.....Ayer...Farrakhan.......??????? and who else
    I wish it wasn't so. He may turn out to be a historical life-changing president, but right now I don't feel the euphoria . How can I celebrate the unknown? We are more split now, ACROSS THE COUNTRY, than when this campaign started.
    Don't blame Sen. Clinton. Most of the controversy hasn't been about her.

June 5, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  15. LB

I have no idea at this time who Senator Obama will choose as his VP, but I'm 100% sure that whoever that ends up being it will be someone who has excellent qualifications. I'm also glad this will be a decision that won't be done for awhile so the dem party can reconnect in the next month or two. As an Obama supporter I feel all Obama supporters should accept whoever he decides to choose even if it would be Hillary. They both have excellent and almost identical ideas and if you think about it that is the main reason the people of the US need them most in the White House.

June 5, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  16. Jaybrown NY/NJ

Jeff, you seem to be very narrow minded. That's ok. Vote for McCain. I'm counting all the idiots who are so bitter that Hillary didn't win and are electing to vote for McCain instead. Willing to cut off their nose to spite their face. For every one of you, I'll just reach out to more non voters and first time voters to counter balance those democratic defectors. And to Jeff, who says that Obama doesn't explain how he will change anything, you must not listen or read or anything. I use to be a Hillary fan before Feb but listened to Obama and chose him instead. Since then I've gotten more and more angry and frustrated with Hillary but I didn't stop listening to her. Although she wasn't my favorite I'd still listen to her every chance I had to keep informed of what she was saying and learning more about her policies. I even listen to Stiffarmstrong. AKA McCain. I listen to him all the time. I don't agree with any of his policies. But I Listen. And if you listen to Obama first off you would see that he and Hillary were not that different at all. Just on a few issues. Anyway, why am I wasting my time. If you don't know what he stands for as much as he's on TV and has his website, and as much as you can hear anything about him on the News stations and websites, I can't do nothing for you. Vote for McCain. lol. Really that's fine. I can register 2 new Obama Democrats to take your place.

June 5, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  17. atypical

Jeff, feel free to vote for whomever you want. It won't affect the fact that the ball has been set in motion and there will be changes made, and not just by Obama, but the people who live in this country.

Your resistance to it will only bring you frustration, not so much the rest of us.

We do not perceive your choice as a threat. Were riding smooth and high on hope and clarity.

Are you aligned? 🙂
    Peace

June 5, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  18. Dawn

Great idea! Campaign in VA with a sexist pig like Webb. That will win the women over.......

June 5, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  19. soothsayer

I'm happy that Barack is going to Virginia and West Virginia. He should adopt John Edwards message to the poor there. They have been struggling for years in that part of the country

June 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  20. Connie Sturgeon

Jeff, I think all the Hillary supporters should ask Bill,Hillary and their daughter if they are going to vote for McBush.Jeff you said you can not live on dreams well there are million of Americans that are living on air right now. Lets give Obama four years to see what he can do.

OBAMA/whoever o8
    Connie from Indiana

June 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  21. Charlotte

While reading the comments on Oprahs happy dance, I was struck by the number of people who say we who don't vote for Obama are racist. They say that it is ok to vote for him only because he is black but not ok to vote against him because he is black. Color has nothing to do with my vote. I could vote for Colin Powell, in a heartbeat. Obama is a blackman with nothing on his resume to convince me he is qualified. I will not vote for McCain, I will however, write Hillary on my ballot in November. I have never, in my adult life written in a candidate, I will this year, even if I am the only one. I also hope Hillary does not choose to be his running mate, she would ursurp him without even trying. Why? Because everone knows who should be in charge. You cannot, as President, have someone better qualified as a running mate. Even Caroline Kenndy as VP would be a threat to his authority. I don't know where he will find someone who won't out shine him?

June 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  22. capo

Bobi I don't know u but by ur pick I think u are a wise person. USA keep it up

June 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  23. Generation X

Clinton Supporters- I actually admire Hillary more than I do her supporters! The 1/3rd of HRC supporters are going to vote for McCain...FACT. The other 2/3rds will support Barack on top of ALL the pissed off Republicans that will not vote for McCain. As you can see in the polls (useless) support for Obama has never been higher. So to all the HRC supporters voting for McCain..Stop backing Hillary or speaking of her you are officially a Republican, she is on OBAMA's side now and is going to campaign with him...how is it being a slimy Republican?

June 5, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  24. Phil Newton Murphy, Oregon

Yes, we can!

June 5, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  25. maca

I am Hillary's supporter and I will vote for McCain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |