June 5th, 2008

Obama to campaign in Virginia with Webb

Obama's campaign sees Virginia as a 'pivotal' state.

Obama's campaign sees Virginia as a 'pivotal' state.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Newly minted Democratic nominee Barack Obama will kick off his general election campaign on Thursday with a pair of campaign stops in Virginia, signaling that the Illinios senator thinks he can turn the once solidly-red state into a Democratic pick-up this fall.

The day will culminate with an evening rally in northern Virginia, where Sen. Jim Webb, often mentioned as a possible vice presidential candidate, will make his first campaign appearance with Obama.

Virginia has not voted for a Democrat in November since Lyndon Johnson took the state in 1964, but for more than a year, Obama's campaign has cited the state's 13 electoral votes as part of their argument that he can re-shuffle the electoral map this fall. Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor said the commonwealth will play a "pivotal role" in the general election.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Virginia
  1. Jason

Regardless of who Obama picks as his running mate, McCain doesn't stand a chance. Obama is more than one man-he has an entire movement behind him. Come with us-it's time we move America forward and not continue to get left behind.

Democrats '08!

June 5, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  2. NLC frm New York

Senator Obama can campaign wherever he wants. Jim Webb is very unstable and has a bad temperament, if they are together they will surely bring this nation down. Right and correct pick.

OBAMA/CLINTON 08

If not then McCain 08

June 5, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  3. R1100RT in VA

Webb is too valuable and effective in the senate to be chosen VP.

With Mark Warner ready to be elected to take John Warner's place, we'll have TWO DEMOCRATIC SENATORS from Virginia! Thank goodness pathetic phony-cowboy-booted George Allen and his Republican ilk are now a distant past nightmare in Virginia.

Obama will need Webb, Warner, Hillary and 57 other Democrats in the senate to form a true majority.

June 5, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  4. Dave W.

to the democrats blew it again,

You might be able to fool yourself that your a democrat, but nobody with a brain is falling for it.

June 5, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  5. Tyler in Norfolk

Anyone thinking Obama can win Virginia is delusional. It is a state that still harbors sometimes overt, but mostly settle racist attitudes and romantic historic ties to the confederacy and Dixieland. Alas, don’t forget, Jim Webb lost Virginia by a minuscule 8,000 votes. Democratic power in the senate hinges on a very small and insignificant majority. Webb, and our country, would be better served if he continued casting votes in the halls of congress.

June 5, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  6. Charley

I prefer Jim Webb to Hilary Clinton...

June 5, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  7. Reagan Democrat

It really is like a Shakespearean tragedy - despite getting all the breaks, the hero in the end is a tragic figure, brought down not by what others have done to him but by what he has done to himself. Hillary Clinton's actions (or "non-actions") in her speech on Tuesday night (and her continuing actions (or "non-actions") throughout Wednesday and into Thursday) make her the tragic figure. Her fatal flaw (as all of Shakespeare's tragic heroes have fatal flaws) is hubris - her belief that she was in a stronger position than she was, her belief that she had more support than she had, her belief that the campaign was about HER and not about the Democratic Party. I see Hillary Clinton and I see MacBeth, Lear, and Othello.

She should come out today - THURSDAY - and say: "I'm going to be having a party on Friday for my staff and I'm going to host a campaign event for Obama on Saturday, but I just want to let you all know that right now, I endorse Senator Obama and I encourage all of my supporters to support him because if you want to maintain Roe v. Wade, if you want universal health insurance, if you want to get out of Iraq, then the only clear choice in November is Obama." Unless she does this TODAY, she may have written herself into history rather than forging a path for future history.

June 5, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  8. Aaron F

Virginia resident here, proudly voting for Obama in November.

June 5, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  9. Independent-Cuban-American-woman-voter-for-Obama

TO "DEMOCRATS BLEW IT AGAIN":

SO YOU WANT TO VOTE FOR MCCAIN????

A VOTE FOR MCCAIN IS A VOTE FOR MORE WAR IN IRAQ

MORE TROOPS KILLED, MAIMED & COMING HOME TO COMMIT SUICIDE!

MORE NATIONAL DEBT ISN'T $10 TRILLION ENOUGH????????!!!

YEAH, GO AHEAD AND VOTE FOR MCCAIN........ BUT DON'T COMPLAIN!

June 5, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  10. kenny cole

DAINA OR WHAT DO YOU CALL YOURSELF BE A GROWN UP SO IF YOU CAST YOUR VOTE FOR NATO WHO CARES WHAT CAN OBAMA SAY TO YOU FOR YOU TO CAST YOUR VOTE FOR HIM I PRAY THAT GOD FORGIVE YOU

June 5, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  11. Brandon

I think that Obama can take Virginia come November. But I think that he can take North Carolina just as easy, if he'll spend some time there. More than that, as a South Carolina native, I think he can take that state too. Too many people are fed up with the Republicans, especially younger voters. Obama will be president.

June 5, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  12. Rennae, VA

I will definately be there!!! It'll be hot and humid as ever (possible rain) but I am dedicated in providing my support to our Democratic nominee.

~Mama for Obama!!

June 5, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  13. HILLARY WAS FORCED OUT BY SEXISM!!!

IF HE THINKS THAT HE CAN JUST DUMP A TON OF MONEY IN A STATE AND WIN HE IS MISTAKEN!

IT DIDN'T WORK BEFORE!

HILLARY EVEN WON SOUTH DAKOTA!

OBAMA IS ON A DOWN TURN WITH VOTERS, BECAUSE OF HIS ACTIONS OVER THE PAST THREE MONTHS!

PEOPLE ARE NOT STUPID! WE DO NOT TRUST YOU OBAMA!

June 5, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  14. Independent in Iowa

If I hear 'Yes We Can' one more time, I'll puke.

What is it we are doing again..?

June 5, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  15. Toots!

McSame
    McInsane
    McShame

Take your pick, he's crusty, cranky, and more of the same old white man's game. Time for real change. Only by electing Obama can American begin to regain some credibility in this world.

June 5, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  16. Oprah

If Oprah Winfrey weren't black, I might give some credence to her endorsement (and funding) of a candidate. But since she is black, it's pretty obvious why she's doing the "happy dance."

Maybe when 18 million Hillary supporters boycott her show, she'll do a different "dance."

June 5, 2008 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  17. FORMER DEMOCRAT

Tony Rezko, who contributed $250,000.00 to Obama's campain was convicted yesterday. Don't be fooled by the name 'TONY' because he is a Syrian.

No terrorists sympathizers in the White House.

A vote for McCain is a vote against Hussien.

June 5, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  18. MD

As a newly minted Democrat, let me say that I am proud to support Senator Obama.

I have changed party affiliation, contributed to a campaign for the first time in my life, and have spent hours blogging.

I wish Senator Obama the best. I cannot wait to call him President Obama.

June 5, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  19. TyWebb

Benjamin – interesting selections, but good overall. Not sure about Gore, though.

June 5, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  20. Kristine

Change is a coming but not the kind anyone is going to like...In the next 6 months to year, We will see higher gas prices, sky rocketing food prices, higher energy and gas prices.

Senator Obama , Senator MCCain or Senator Clinton will not be able to close this flood gate. Whoever gets elected will see a long road ahead of them to fix this problem.

We should have woke up 30 years ago instead of putting a bandaid on our oil crisis. Now we face a greater demand for oil around the world including the Middle Eastern Countries using my oil. Now we find less available for everyone. Expect it to take two decades to fix our gas issues.

My brother is a Regional Manager for a large grocery change. He said the grocery industry has been trying to hold down those prices as best the can. Their profit margin for groceries as small so they can't hold those prices down much longer. He said in the next couple of months consumers are going to be shocked at the rising prices..

My advise to everyone is to prepare yourself for the long haul..

June 5, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  21. peakarach,des moines

Let all of us 18 million strong must unite and join McCain campaign now and help him defeat Hussein Obama in the fall,so we can send a strong message to the party leader,Hussein Obama and the whole media not to mess with Hillary and her supporter ever again.

Let go team Hillary!

June 5, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  22. Marc in Virginia

Oprah's ridiculous "happy dance" is another slap in the face to all the Clinton supporters out there. Way to go, lady, you probably cost Barack a million votes. Nobody likes sore-winners either. I will now need to vote for the lesser of two evils: McCain.

June 5, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  23. peakarach,des moines

BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA TOP 10 RUNNING MATES 08!

1. OSAMA.
    2. MAHMOUD AHMADINEJAD.
    3. KIM JUNG-IL.
    4. FIDEL CASTRO.
    5. KHALED MASHAAL.
    6. REV.WRIGHT.
    7. BILL AYER.
    8. LOUISE FARRAKHAN.
    9. PFLEGER.
    10. TONY REZKO.

June 5, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  24. Jaci

Hillary Clinton killed her own Campaign....And then tried to blame EVERYONE and EVERYTHING instead of looking in the mirror and blaming herself.

I believe that anyone not supporting who supported Hillary are racist...
    Even if they don't want to admit it. Even if they don't recognize it. Even if they are in denial...
    If you believe in the positions and platform of the party then you would support Obama.

June 5, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  25. Quick

Come to Tennessee Obama and see what kind of welcome you will get. Get out of this race and leave it to Americans, because you not an American. I think ALL 18 million HC supporters should vote for John McCain. That will fix the DNC and Howard Dean. I was once a Democrat, but not any more. HC was screwed by the DNC and Howard Dean. Also, where was all the garbage about Obama in December and January? I guess all the news people went to church with him and slept like he did for 20 years. WAKE UP VOTERS before it's too late. What has happened to this country when a terrorist can run for president?

June 5, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |