June 5th, 2008

Obama to campaign in Virginia with Webb

Obama's campaign sees Virginia as a 'pivotal' state.

Obama's campaign sees Virginia as a 'pivotal' state.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Newly minted Democratic nominee Barack Obama will kick off his general election campaign on Thursday with a pair of campaign stops in Virginia, signaling that the Illinios senator thinks he can turn the once solidly-red state into a Democratic pick-up this fall.

The day will culminate with an evening rally in northern Virginia, where Sen. Jim Webb, often mentioned as a possible vice presidential candidate, will make his first campaign appearance with Obama.

Virginia has not voted for a Democrat in November since Lyndon Johnson took the state in 1964, but for more than a year, Obama's campaign has cited the state's 13 electoral votes as part of their argument that he can re-shuffle the electoral map this fall. Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor said the commonwealth will play a "pivotal role" in the general election.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Virginia
  1. LAW

Personally, I find it very encouraging that the CNN poll on the website today shows 60% of the people thinking Obama would win, while 40% think McCain would win. With CNN generally attracting far more left-leaning people than those right-leaning, this tells me that these numbers if adjusted for over-weighted liberals actually means that McCain is running strong.

I would much prefer a conservative candidate over McCain, but McCain can now be my only choice. Obama changed his tune yesterday and talked tough about Iran and said he would never allow them to get nukes. Did you hear that? Did you hear that?? Now he is a tough guy, because that is now what he perceives is necessary to win the minds of those concerned about our military posture. Can you spell chameleon? You had better get used to it.

June 5, 2008 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  2. Gabrielle, Lancaster SC

Glad to hear that. He needs to campaign hard in these red states. Obama has a tough road ahead of him. I won't deny it, but on a side not, I am really proud of the way Sen. Clinton acknowledged him yesterday...He will be a "good friend to Israel"

And to Clinton supporters,
    I want you to know that all Obama supporters are not represented by these comments on CNN. Many of us are not rude or condescending. There are just a select few who continue to post over and over. And turn-around is fair play. I have definitely seen my share of rude Clinton supporters, but I realize that they do not make up the whole. Please keep that in mind.

June 5, 2008 08:19 am at 8:19 am |
  3. NORA, FLORIDA

CMOM DEMS LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Let's get back the White House becasue what is at stake are 3 Supreme Court Justices appointments.

Please don't let your childish "I want it my attitudes" cause you to make a mistake.

VOTE DEM 2008

June 5, 2008 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  4. Dave, IN

Latest lack of perception or judgement by Candidate Obama added to the growing list:
    "That's not the Tony Rezko I knew."
    "That's not the Father Michael Pfleger I knew."
    "That's not the Bill Ayers I knew."
    "That's not the Reverend Wright I knew."

Think how it will feel when President Obama says,
    "That's not the Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (Iran) I knew", or
    "That's not the Kim Jong Il (N. Korea) I knew" or
    "That's not the Khaled Meshal (Hamas) I knew."

June 5, 2008 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  5. NORA, FLORIDA

Folks please get over it already with Hillary. She is not running as independent and gas is too high for you to waste your vote in November if you are going to vote for McCain to TRY and prove a point. You will be hurting yourself along with other struggling families in this economy.

It is time to grow up already. If Hillary can honestly support Obama and much of her policies are very similiar to his, then I would have to question what is your real reason for not supporting him. No one is crying racism but if it looks, smell, and sounds like a Duck then guess what.....Cluck Cluck!!!!

June 5, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  6. KE

Be not afraid Obama bloggers. Keep talking about Hillary Clinton. She will not go away. Now be ready for Sen. McCain.

June 5, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  7. Miner for Obama

Virginia is blue at heart. Obama will turn those Nader loving freaks in Christiansbug into believers

June 5, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  8. Emmanuel

I honestly cannot believe it actually happened.

And though I am holding my breath for a Hillary blind side into the VP, I hope this is one step in many of making America whole and regaining her status in the rest of the world.

A bastion of hope.

Who would ever have thought that a multiracial person with the blood of a black man would ever stand the chance of being president of this country.

From being slaving for the country, to building up the country to hopefully guiding it to a better place.

June 5, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  9. MurphyMorseJohnson

God's speed, Obama, and to America too.

June 5, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  10. JIM WHITTAKER, Hemet, CA

The supreme irony about this entire thing is...

The reason, the ONLY reason, Hillary Clinton even got as far
    as she did is because her name is Hillary Clinton.

And the reason, the ONLY reason, she lost is because her
    name is Hillary Clinton.

Poetic Justice writ large...

June 5, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  11. Karen in Kansas

My last comment to CNN went unposted, so I'm sure this one will too. I would vote for Rev Wright before I'd cast a vote for Obama, and you want to know why? 'Cause at least with Rev Wright I'd know what I was getting. It's all right there for everyone to see. With Obama, there are just too many questions. Nobody really knows where he stands or what he believes. When he gives a speech, the crowd becomes mesmerized & in awe of him. But, at the end of the day, you don't really know what he said. That is scary.

June 5, 2008 08:27 am at 8:27 am |
  12. Virginia for Lovers Native

Tim Kaine, Mark Warner, Jim Webb...are Virginia's Princes... Go Barrack Go... Go Barrack Go... I LOVE Virginia. Virginia Loves YOU WELCOME BACK!!

June 5, 2008 08:29 am at 8:29 am |
  13. Reality Check

Why is Barack doing everything John McCAIN ask him to do? Is this the kind of sheep he is going to be?

June 5, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  14. Game On

I think this is brillant! While McCain is trying to get in Obama's spotlight by requesting town hall debates, Obama is continuining to strike while he's hot! By going on the road to places like Virginia he is solidifying his stance on and for change.

Go ahead Obama!

June 5, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  15. Kenneth M

TO: B – NYC IN NY. HILLARY CLINTON WAS IN FACT DISRESPECTFUL TO OBAMA. AT EACH JUNCTION SHE HAS TURNED HER BACK IN THE FACE OF HIM SAYING ULTRA NICE THINGS TO AND ABOUT HER. YOU CAN KEEP YOUR SUPPORT IF YOU LIKE. WE OBAMA SUPPORTERS WILL NOT BE HELD CAPTIVE OR STUCK UP FOR THE VP POST. BETTER TO LOOSE TO MCCAIN THEN TO GIVE IN TO THE CLINTONS.

June 5, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  16. Matt in MO

This man is going to redraw the electoral map. He may not get Florida without Hillary....but without Hillary there is the possibility he can turn Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, Louisiana, Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, and others. His ability to cross the party lines and inspire new people in astounding. Go Barack!

June 5, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  17. democrat in the white house

GO HEAD ON DEMOCRATS AND WATCH OUT NEOCONS HERE WE COME!! VIRGINA ONCE THE SEAT OF THE CONFEDERATE ARMY WILL TURN BLUE BEFORE YOUR VERY EYES !!!! AN EXCELLENT STRATEGY ,AND THE POSITIVE IS OBAMA DID WIN THE STATE IN THE PRIMARY. EVEN THOUGH WEBB IS NOT INTERESTED IN THE VP SLOT I THINK IT IS AN EXCELLENT DEMORATIC PARTY MOVE THAT IS CAMPAIGNING WITH OBAMA.

OBAMA/WEBB 08 !!!!!!!!!
    A PROUD DEMOCRATIC AMERICAN !!!!!

June 5, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  18. FB

Could be a good choice! He's got the foreign policy experience. . . although I think Rendell is the way to go.

He will not have to choose Hillary. I believe about 1/4 of the 18 million have already defected because of her terrible actions during this campaign.

At least half of the remaining "die hard" Hillary fans are smart enough to know that a vote for McCain is dumb. The majority will vote for Obama. It is only the far out fringe supporters who would rather cut off their nose to spite their face. And to them, GO AWAY1

June 5, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  19. larry

He could campaign with the Pope and he is still going to lose in November!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  20. LifeLongDemocrat

He still hasn't convinced me. He needs to go after the 17,000,000 Hillary supporters...what are you waiting for?

Hillary 2012/2016<!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  21. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

I think Webb would make a good VP.

June 5, 2008 08:31 am at 8:31 am |
  22. democrat in the white house

GO HEAD ON DEMOCRATS AND WATCH OUT NEOCONS HERE WE COME!! VIRGINA ONCE THE SEAT OF THE CONFEDERATE ARMY WILL TURN BLUE BEFORE YOUR VERY EYES !!!! AN EXCELLENT STRATEGY ,AND THE POSITIVE IS OBAMA DID WIN THE STATE IN THE PRIMARY. EVEN THOUGH WEBB IS NOT INTERESTED IN THE VP SLOT I THINK IT IS AN EXCELLENT DEMORATIC PARTY MOVE THAT HE IS CAMPAIGNING WITH OBAMA.

OBAMA/WEBB 08 !!!!!!!!!
    A PROUD DEMOCRATIC AMERICAN !!!!!

June 5, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  23. Ngaruiya, Limuru, Kenya

Jim Webb for veep

June 5, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  24. Elaine

Obama is doing the right thing by going to states that he has a shot at turning blue. It's this kind of forward thinking...seeing beyond the now that made him the nominee. He had the foresight at the beginning of his campaign to go into states beyond the Super Tuesday contests. He is now concentrating on states that he will likely have problems in, to make some headway with voters.

June 5, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  25. Dee-Norfolk,VA

You had my vote in the Potomac Primary and you will have my vote in the General Election!!

We the People have finally been heard!!

Obama!!