June 5th, 2008

Obama to campaign in Virginia with Webb

Obama's campaign sees Virginia as a 'pivotal' state.

Obama's campaign sees Virginia as a 'pivotal' state.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Newly minted Democratic nominee Barack Obama will kick off his general election campaign on Thursday with a pair of campaign stops in Virginia, signaling that the Illinios senator thinks he can turn the once solidly-red state into a Democratic pick-up this fall.

The day will culminate with an evening rally in northern Virginia, where Sen. Jim Webb, often mentioned as a possible vice presidential candidate, will make his first campaign appearance with Obama.

Virginia has not voted for a Democrat in November since Lyndon Johnson took the state in 1964, but for more than a year, Obama's campaign has cited the state's 13 electoral votes as part of their argument that he can re-shuffle the electoral map this fall. Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor said the commonwealth will play a "pivotal role" in the general election.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • John McCain • Virginia
  1. Johnny K

All you Obama worshipers (who apparently do as little thinking as he does) can sit with him after the election and console him as he eats the lunch that McCain handed to him.

Obama will be lucky to win 15 states. Where is that feel-good story now?

June 5, 2008 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  2. CW4Barak

No more McClintonBushes in the White House, time for a new leadership! Don't worry Clintonites, you master and commander will be doing what is politically expedient and endorse Obama, she has no choice....she knows that she needs him and the party waaaay more than they could ever need her....and the 18 million strong argument does not hold, cus about 16 million have already jumped ship and now supporting Obama, cus they are DEMOCRATS, not Clintonites or bargaining chips!

Obama '08

June 5, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  3. democrat1981

haha, thank you Former U.S. Marine!!!

What the Republicans don't seem to get, because they're all brainwashed about taxes and terrorism, is that the American economy is on the verge of it's second most devastating depression in U.S. history... AND RATHER THAN OWN UP to the fact that McBush is just gonna worsen that scenario, THEY WOULD MUCH RATHER FURTHER THEIR OWN PERSONAL AGENDA AT THE EXPENSE OF THE COUNTRY'S WELL-BEING. REPUBLICANS -> PATRIOTIC...
    NOT FOR A SECOND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  4. Virginia voter

"Uncle Sam" – John McCain might be your man, but he's definitely not mine. Don't count Virginia for McCain's column just yet–we aren't so easily fooled here. I spent most of my life as a proud Virginia Republican. In recent years, I've found myself incredibly supportive of soon-to-be Senator Warner, Governor Kaine, and Senator Webb. Lately, it seems Virginia is as purple as they come.

Obama 2008!

June 5, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  5. Nsikan

Uncle Sam, if we get a charismatic performer and a change agent in one package, that would be great. Do not panic, we have been warning you (Bush Admin) to change course all this time and you have stubbornly refused. Now, the change agent is coming to town. Give change a chance and you'll be glad you did. Welcome to the great state of Virginia – Senators Webb and Obama and congratulations on your victory in the primary. This is a state we punish politicians who are stubborn and reward those with visions. We can are ready to change our color to blue and that we will do com November.

June 5, 2008 09:05 am at 9:05 am |
  6. Kevin of CT

Jeff:

Thanks for letting us know, if McCain wins we'll know who to tell all the military families whose sons and daughters, and fathers and mothers who have died to call and thank you for continuing the policies that continue to needlessly kill our soldiers.

June 5, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  7. John in Virgina

I am going today too. I hate Nissan Pavilion though. It's so hard to get in and out of there. I am going to leave work around noon and try to get there early though so I can hopefully get in the covered section. After yesterdays thunderstorms and tornados here, I don't want to end up on the lawn. Congrats Obama!!

June 5, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  8. Seth

Jeff said "Obama has never said how this change is going to take place"

If that is truly what you believe, you are quite the lazy Democrat. You must not have been actually watching TV and reading the paper. And if you wanted DETAILS about his policies, you might try, oh, I don't know, maybe his web site? How about he has a book called the Blueprint for Change that outlines his ideas.

You need this stuff spoon fed to you?

BTW – you must not care about Roe V Wade, Social programs, or the war in Iraq if you plan to vote McCain.

June 5, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  9. Sally Mae

If the American people are looking for someone who can't remember exactly who is in Iraq or who the regional groups are, or who needs help understanding the economy, may I suggest John McCain.

If Americans are looking for a fresh, exciting, intelligent, innovative, vibrant leader with sound judgment, may I suggest Barack Obama.

Americans for OBAMA '08 & '12

June 5, 2008 09:06 am at 9:06 am |
  10. rupa

obama for president
    I asian's back his back . no body wants a third term of bush. mcain is old unapealing to young american thru out america.
    obama wil win the white house.

June 5, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  11. One America

LETS CHANGE HISTORY TOGETHER......

OBAMA 08...

June 5, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  12. carlo

Jeff:
    ****************************************************************************
    I am a Hillary supporter and I'm voting for MCCain NOT Obama.
    Obama has never said how this change is going to take place. I can't make a living off dreams!

****************************************************************************

GO AND VOTE FOR MCCAIN! Who really gives a crap? I'm tired of hearing the threats. As Nike says, "just do it."

June 5, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  13. arc, Lugano CH

Why are Hillary supporters so angry and hateful? Don't they want their party to win? Don't they realize a vote for McCain will only prolong the status quo and goes against everything that their candidate stands for?

There are so many people in this world, who have endured war, genocide and unmentionable horrors. They would give their right arm to be a bitter Hillary supporter in America. Hillary’s legions of hateful, angry supporters don’t know how good they have it.

June 5, 2008 09:07 am at 9:07 am |
  14. Derrick, Philadelphia

not only does the people of the US want OBAMA... but around the world... they all want to be lead to greatness... by OBAMA

No McBush....his speeches are unbearable... he looks more lifeless than BOB DOLE in 96

June 5, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  15. Mel

I am a Canadian and have been following the elections and I am appalled at how Americans are. You would prefer to ruin your country and send it into further recession than allow an African American to run the country, if Hillary has lost to anyone else besides a black man all of you would be o.k with it, but this is not about sexism but still about his race. Hillary had her chances and she lost a fair fight now you people need to think about the future of your country and your kids and give Obama a chance, stop being ridiculous, otherwise if McCain wins you all will be weeping and mourning.

June 5, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  16. Greg, Mpls

As a 27 year and still serving veteran I'm voting for the one who actually does support the troops. McCain has failing grades from every veteran's organization for his lack of support in legislation. Obama and democrats have the record for supporting our service men and women. It's kind of ironic that the ones who scream patriotism and support the troops really only care about the corporations that make money from war and the defense department and go out of their way to cut funding to the people side of the equation.

June 5, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  17. Obama v McCain

jeff.. be an informed voter. these candidates have websites for specifcs.. plus.. i'm not sure who you've been listening to.. but Obama does explain the what and how. you've just not been listening! also..you say you can't make a living off dreams? thats understandable,, but how are you doing now?(rhetorical question)

June 5, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  18. Nik, Florida

I think he should first start at uniting Democrats, especially in my state. He should concentrate on convincing Clinton supporters, especially in South Florida, to vote for him. He has his head up in the clouds. Dont go to your opponents territory before you have secured your own.

June 5, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  19. JB

I as an Indian American Cannot believe the attitude of some of the People in this forum. They would rather sacrifice their country and their future rather than vote a Black man who won fair and square.
    I am an Indian American , and I would not vote for Bobby Jindal in my dreams , if indeed he was on the Republican ticket. It is truly sad that even people like me who are not born americans care more for the country than some people who have been born and raised here.

Sad indeed

June 5, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  20. Antar Adams

Look say what you want but the fact of the matter is black people are gonna come out like never before now(in numbers not in percentage to a candidate),especially in states like VA,MISS and several others.

June 5, 2008 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  21. jeff

HAHAHA DISREGARD THAT, I SUCK COCKS

June 5, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  22. McCain08

Good luck. I really think you should have waited a month or two to let the dust settle as your face is on the TV so often that most people who were against you before are even more so now....

Give people a bit of a break Obama and maybe we might start to see a better side to you. Your speeches are annoying people now as you come across like a crazy preecher from your old church...Oh, and your flip flopping a little too much at the moment and never admitting to being wrong before....

June 5, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  23. tj

VA people.
    Please don't be fooled by this unexperienced harismatic person.
    Remeber you choose not next american idol.
    I being democrat all my life prefer John McCain this time over this golden boy created by corrupted media & DNC.
    All my friends will do the same.
    McCain 08

June 5, 2008 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  24. Char

OBAMA~WEBB '08!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  25. Dccret

If America was a corporation and based off the performance of the last couple of years in all areas like the economy, foreign policy, healthcare and security to name a few, you would have the CEO removed and when you are searching for a new CEO, I don’t think you would hire one with a similar resume as his predecessor. The John McCain of old is the one I would have probably voted for in this election, the new John McCain I will not; that being said, I will vote for Barack Obama in November. In review the things that matter to me, this is how I score these two candidates.

1. Economy Obama
    2. Education Obama
    3. Energy & Oil Obama
    4. Foreign Policy Obama
    5. Woman and Civil Rights Obama
    6. Homeland Security McCain
    7. Universal Healthcare Obama
    8. Immigration McCain
    9. Iraq War Obama
    10. Iran Obama

As you can see, I am voting based of the issues. IT’S REALLY THAT SIMPLE!

June 5, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |