June 5th, 2008

Oprah 'doing the happy dance' over Obama win

Oprah hit the trail for Obama during the primary season.

Oprah hit the trail for Obama during the primary season.

(CNN) - Oprah Winfrey is ecstatic over Barack Obama’s apparent victory in this year’s Democratic presidential race.

"I'm euphoric, I've been doing the happy dance all day,” she said in a statement released Wednesday I'm so proud of Barack and Michelle and what this means for all of us, the new possibilities for our country.”

The talk show host, who campaigned for Obama in several key early primary states, added: “And if he wants me to, I'm ready to go door to door."

1. no

who the heck gives a hoot about Oprah Winfrey???????

June 4, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  2. Ilona Proud Canadian

Oprah,

Thank you so much for backing Barack. Yes you should be doing the happy dance. I am looking in from the outside, but I have been rooting for Barack for many, many months, I am absolutely awed at the results of this race for the Democratic Presidential Nominee?

To tell you the truth, I don't know how Barack was able to keep focused with all of the shenanigans that Hillary pulled. (and still is pulling) This relatively young man is definitely the REAL DEAL!

Now, I hope that God will keep him safe, and help him with the very, very rough road ahead!

June 4, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  3. Dave, Santa Barbara CA

To those who complain that Obama spent 4x's as much $, why you (and Hillary) never seem to mention that he actually RAISED more money? Like she wouldn't have spent it.

June 4, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  4. Silence Dogood

I was wondering who was going to be pulling Obama's strings......
    Money buys power – sounds like politics as usual.

June 4, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  5. N.A NJ

I have been life long democrat until this election which made me switch to independent and may be vote for
    John Mcain. I respect Barack Obama as a person but despise all these pundits, they have no shame for demeaning and
    stepping on the person who once was the most effective president in the democrat party Bill Clinton,
    the man who have done so much for the black community, who lifted the economy for 8 years, the year when
    and this very important to me and i never forget it (WENT ON CAMPAINING JUST 3 DAYS AFTER HE HAD HIS
    HEART SURGERY FOR JOHN KERRY IN 2004 WHEN HE RAN FOR PRESIDENT THAT SHOWS YOU HOW MUCH THE DEMOCRAT INSTITUTION
    TREAT ITS PEOPLE SO OBAMA WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND AND THAT'S THE DIFFRENCE I NOTICED BETWEEN THE DEMOCRATS
    AND REPUBLICANS AND REGAN SAID IT RIGHT REPUBLICANS DON'T ATTACK OTHER REPUBLICANS)
    but far most Hillary Clinton who saw the worst first from the media going after her since she start
    running making it easy opening for Obama and handing him the nomination without sweat, she was hated from
    the media far more worst the George Bush, people disrespected her, put her down, went after chelsea asking
    her silly and stupid question about father's affair even this trinity church took part in the bashing.

And all of you Obama suppporters, 1 year and half ago you were saying and i quote "we wish Bill clinton
    could run for president for the third time after how much damage done by Bush". By the way i am a man
    and have college degree and there are lot more of us and all i can say is Hillary Clinton you defeated
    all odds and you are the strongest and everybody knows it but they won't admit it.

June 4, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  6. sophia nyc

And I have a smile on from ear to ear!

June 4, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  7. bill pike

Oprah: i am that white,small town,college educated, businessman, and ex republican because of Obama. What I saw in this young man is a modern day Abraham Lincoln and his talk on race 100 years from now will be taught in schools the same as what Lincoln wrote. It is time to change DC and Obama is a good start. Thanks for all your help and say hello to your neighbor H.S. Obama will be out next president.

June 4, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  8. debbie

I am glad that OBAMA WON!!!!!

June 4, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  9. white people for him

"my mother and I want to dance also... but we are waiting for my father who has been a HRC's fan to join the club"
    Hey Dad...

Young lady waiting for papa..
    Obama08

June 4, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  10. Tony M

possible VP?

June 4, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  11. Citizen, Denver

Very good Oprah, you are better than that foul-Bob Johnson who thanks his money can buy power. i am very happy for you my friend Oprah. You are the BEST.

June 4, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  12. Make Love, Not War

I cannot believe some of the comments.

There are so many HATERS

June 4, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  13. Canadian Girl

Clinton and her supporters are bitter, sore losers.
    I think its wonderful that Oprah is happy ... I'm happy too!!!
    I've been doing the happy dance for him and his family all day too =) And you know what! I think its great that she would campaign door to door ... imagine the shock of people's faces when they open the door and there stands Oprah!!!!

Democrats need to unite behind Obama.

June 4, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  14. CB

Regardless of your feelings about Oprah, or Obama.

This historical moment deserves to be celebrated.

The same way Hillary's historic moment would deserve to be celebrated.

I support an Obama/Clinton ticket!

June 4, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  15. Anthony F Magaldi

Oprah...you do nauseate me. Never have I seen such a phony in my life! Obama can't help you honey. Nobody can help you and HE cannot help this country with his rehearsed speeches and lack of experience.
    I'm moving to Mexico!!

June 4, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  16. Spirit of America

She's not the only Chicagoan dancing with Obama. So are Tony Rezko and Jeremiah Wright. But theirs is anything but a happy dance.

June 4, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  17. JT, AZ

"Oprah 'doing the happy dance' over Obama win"

As long as she doesn't start jumping on the sofa . . .

June 4, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  18. Juan

What does "this mean for all of us?" I guess it means that we have a second rate candidate and should be excited because his skin is a little darker than mine.

I'd get more excited if he actually had done something other than say change and hope a few zillion times.

I just can't believe the people that fall all over this snake oil salesman because he promises everything and yet HAS DONE NOTHING!

June 4, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  19. Chanel

Wow, this must is the first "Obama" statement by Oprah in quite a while. For a while there it seemed like she was trying to distance herself from him.

June 4, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  20. mya

I did a happy dance of my own too...OBAMA '08!!!!

June 4, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  21. BHO NOT MY CANDIDATE

Its funny, I dont think most the Obama fans realize that most people in the country do not share your ultra left views, we don't necessarily need universal healthcare, just we want to try something different... We like making choices, and most of use are educated enough to do it... even though we may cling to guns and religion we are not ignorant... like you....

June 4, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  22. DJ FXP

AS I HAVE LEFT MY FIRST COMMENT HERE WE GO AGAIN WITH THE BASHING OF A GREAT CAMPAIGN AND GO TO TRASH TALK THIS THE NEW AMERICA STOP THE RACIST COMMENTS AND GROW UP HE WON FAIRLY PERIOD.

June 4, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  23. TC

I disagree with B of NYC.... You are still dividing the Democratic party by making such a statement. You stated that, "What they are failing to realize is that HE NEEDS HER, SHE DOES NOT NEED HIM".... If we are a DEMOCRATIC party, then we need eachother. It's not about Obama and it's not about Hillary. It's about us as a PARTY standing by eachother.

Everyone played dirty from time to time, thats Politics. Sometimes we bring out the best in eachother and sometimes we bring out the worst in eachother, but the bigger picture is that we can agree to disagree and remain cordial with one another. Barack and Hillary are still on the same page, and they are still in the same party and they are still Americans wanting whats best for this country.

If you choose not to vote for Obama bc Hillary isnt on the ticket, then thats on you. Thats even worse because you are going against the very party that she was fighting so hard for. Thats where ignorance comes in. Start thinking with your mind and not your heart. If you want our people to keep fighting a war with no means then vote Republican. If you want to pay $10.00 in gas over the next few years, then vote Republican, because basically thats what you are doing by not voting for your own party. And whatever changes take place in the economy over the next few years that you dislike, dont say a word, because by not voting for the Democratic Party bc it wasnt Hillary on the ticket, gives you no right to say anything at all.

June 4, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  24. TheTruthHurts

All of this back and forth is rank silliness. I support Obama and other supporters have been disrespect. Those individuals are not the majority, just like the majority of Clinton supporters won't make a protest vote.

Obama himself has been at least as gracious and respectful as Clinton. Anyone denying that is simply not paying attention.

Frankly, I suspect something more sinister. Most of the folks who claim they "can't" or "won't " support Barack fall into 3 camps.

1. All men are sexist and Obama has been as condescending as most men and I can't support that. (So I'll vote for the philandering McCain instead).

2. I don't trust this smooth-talking guy from nowhere with no foreign policy experience (But I gladly voted for Bill Clinton who was younger and is nicknamed Slick Willy).

3. I am a closet racist and need something to complain about that will allow my conscience to be OK with voting against the interests of my family, my children, my country and the world.

Hillary would have been a great president and may some day be. It won't be in this cycle. Unless you believe in the Republican policies, Barack Obama is the best realistic chance to fix what is broken. Those who can't see that are likely blinded by 1, 2 or 3.

June 4, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  25. s.boat

Hillary Is Going To Give Her Concession Speach On Friday! Thats When Im Gonna Do My Happy Dance!

June 4, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |