June 5th, 2008

Oprah 'doing the happy dance' over Obama win

Oprah hit the trail for Obama during the primary season.

Oprah hit the trail for Obama during the primary season.

(CNN) - Oprah Winfrey is ecstatic over Barack Obama’s apparent victory in this year’s Democratic presidential race.

"I'm euphoric, I've been doing the happy dance all day,” she said in a statement released Wednesday I'm so proud of Barack and Michelle and what this means for all of us, the new possibilities for our country.”

The talk show host, who campaigned for Obama in several key early primary states, added: “And if he wants me to, I'm ready to go door to door."

1. RB

In all fairness to Hillary, I think she surounded herself with the worst group of advisors anyone could have. They didn't prepare her for beyond Super Tuesday; they came up with the "kitchen sink"; they came up with the "he's not experienced enough"; they came up with the "I have the experence/Senator McCain has the experience; and they came up with the "all or nothing strategy". When you're caught up in the excitement of it all, all or nothing seems like a tough stance. Problem is, sometime you get nothing. Her advisors didn't let her posture for a graceful exit and spot on the ticket as VP. Look at Huchabee. He knew when to quit and is a credible VP candidate for McCain. But, Hillary has practically written the republican attack ads for Nov. Why would Obama expose himself to ridicule of having her run as his VP?? I would question his judgement if he did that. No, Hillary's advisors have ruined her politically and should never work in the Democratic Party again! And, that's not Obama's fault. She chose them. She has to live with taking their advice. Her advisors need to go. Did you notice how quick they were to jump over to back Obama?? They are the ones her supporters need to be mad with; not Obama. He played the game by the rules and won. Support him.

June 4, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  2. Obama all the way!!!!

Clinton can not run as an Independent. She has worked her heart out for this party for 35 years, and as much as people try to say the Party did her wrong, she knows that's not true. Therefore, she is not going to sail off on the Dems. She also needs someone to pay off her debt. Obviously HILLARYCLINTON.COM wasn't enough to get her through the first campaign. Finally, if supporters put McCain in office, they will be flushing all of Clinton's hard work down the toilet....so much for a supporter, huh?

June 4, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  3. Terrance

Okay enough about Obama and Oprah. We are a nation of opportunities so let's start acting like it people. The Happy Dance, Happy Face, to Happy Days so what Obama won. What you people are failing to realize is that poltitics is a game of coniving and reverse psychology. Who is better? Clinton slaps Obama wow. Obama slaps Clinton and McCain and his party sits back and think of ways to blast the nominee (obama) in Nov.

Let's get it together people (democrats) and stop arguing about dancing and not going to support a democrat if you want your kids to grow up in a healthy wealthy environment I suggest you do the right thing and think democrat. Thank you have a nice day 🙂

June 4, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  4. Eric G

We are seeing the first splinterings of our party.. it is really sad that people can be so blind and ignorant as to lash out at other party supporters because they prefer a different person for president.. especially when their differences are very minimal.. the Democratic party was supposed to rise to power this year, but I fear that the death rattle is just around the corner.. stop the hate.. political bias is just as bad as racial and gender bias.. remove head from arse and be a respectful human being.. didn't your mothers teach you right? Or should they be slapped along with you?

June 4, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  5. bon

Now that Barack Obama seems to be on the verge of being officially nominated as the Democratic Party's presidential candidate, I'm sure Michelle Obama will proclaim the occasion would be the second time in her whole life she'll be happy to be an American. What a woman!

June 4, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  6. mya

If you have anything bad to say about Sen. Clinton, please STOP and think about it. It's time to think about our party. Hillary Clinton IS a DEMOCRAT. Let's all respect her at this time.

June 4, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  7. Shell Hari, New York

As someone who has traveled widely and who has come to love African proverbs, I urge you to read this one many times to see whether you get the big picture: "This world is susu. You do for me; I do for you". Minorities in this country-be it African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Asian Americans, American Indians, you name it, have always voted overwhelmingly for many leaders in this country-past and present-without any preconditions or race, but based on the substantive nature of the candidates' platform and how confident these minorities believe the candidates can deliver what "they" promise. Keep in mind that I said "they" referring to the candidates and not minorities. Now, the time has come for the same favor to be extended to minority candidates who are viable and electable. Can the rest of America return the favor?

June 4, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  8. white women for Unity

OK Folks, time to Unite. If your canidate wasn't nominated you still need to vote Democratic. Think of the consequences of putting McCain in the White House....really think about that. If you love your country and your rights as a women, you need to come to terms that Obama is our nominee. He will do what is best for this country. He and Hillary agree on most issues, so why would not vote Democratic.

Please everyone, be adults and Unite!

June 4, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  9. Bobby

republicans are coming on many blogs know a days disrespecting Clinton mostly BECAUSE OB AMA HAS BEEN THE LIKELY NOMANY FOR A TIME KNOW SO THEY ARE trying to drive a wedge between US DEMOCRATS which is the only way they will win. DONT ALLOW THEM TO DO IT . OBAMA and Clinton are similar on the issues Mccain is on a different planet on the issues. This is our time

Obama 08 hopefully Clinton for VP

June 4, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  10. Dan

Wait....so Obama didn't get approx. the same number of popular votes as HRC? So.....you're saying that if she were the nominee then she would win because she'd get all of the nearly 18 million that voted for Obama? Huh......that math doesn't work. The caveat goes both ways. By the way.....who are the people that are polled nationally that have Obama ahead of McCain by 7 points. Guess they're polling everyone but HRC supporters........right!!

June 4, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  11. DEMOCRAT

I'm tired of people disrespecting Oprah. Oprah is an inspiration to women. She has done many, many good things over the years. Especially when it comes to speaking out against sexual abuse.
    I really wish people would grow up and stop hating on others just because of who someone supports. That includes Clinton as well as Obama Supporters.

12. No Hillary

Brett how cute, she is better than druggy Cindy and also she has a fat pocketbook how about you?

13. Betty

I'm gonna do a happy dance – Thank God we can get the WH back from the Repukes (and Rush Limbaugh) !!!!!!!

That's all that matters now !!!!!

14. Marie

To Obama supporter:
    If Obama selects Hillary as his running mate. He will come across as a weak man, who folds under pressure. Then the question becomes, How will he stand up to pressure as President?

15. Miss M

Oprah, your support has cost you viewer's..What say to that.. All you celebs are a joke, as if we'd follow your endorsement.....

MCCain will get the White House....Watch and see

16. Russ

Congratuations to Mr. President Obama!
    I predicted in 2004, when Obama was running for Senate, that he would be our next President of the USA. Looking forward to change in your 8 years as President!

17. Edward from Toronto

She lost the nomination not because she was disrespected but because she was overconfident, ignored the caucus states and ran a negative campaign.

Granted her supporters may feel robbed as the the general perception was it was hers for the taking. That is life. Now move on an rationalize whether you want McCain to be President and if your answer is yes get ready to have your daughters' right to choose taken away, your children and loved ones sent to fight a meaningless war and your great grand children pay off the debt that would be accumulated to fight the war.

Many people say things in anger but if you act in anger, that is a greater travesty. Think

18. democrat 4 life

Barack, this is to you. I know you do not know me from a can of paint. I just want to say I am very, very proud of you. You have made history and we will see change to come to our country. You truly inspire me and I now feel confident when talking to my eight year old son that dreams do come true. He can be our next President. God bless you. You are a true inspiration to me and my family. You definitely got my vote. I have watched the election since it began and I have never really actually took much interst into politics until I saw life becoming harder for my family and I. My finace called me early this morning and said "he did! he did!" I said did what, Barack Obama is the presumative nominee of the Democratic party.

19. kim portland, oregon

i've never understood why hillary's supporters keep saying that obama's supporters are rude and nasty. the ugliest sarcasm i hear most on here is from the "if not hillary, then mccain" folks. and if you arent really the Project Chaos stooges, we are all STILL waiting to hear a truthful and logical explanation of that. and please not the same old tired lies about obama stealing this and that, hillary and obama BOTH agreed to follow the rules the DNC set. he agreed to do what they said regarding MI and FL, and he agreed to a solution that was in hillary's FAVOR!!!

obama's respect for hillary is VERY apparent and he showed it throughout. she will be offered a powerful position (not VP) if she wants it. at the end of the day, they are both likable, forward-thinking and incredibly intelligent people, and they both have immense respect for each other. hillary will be supporting obama and the democratic party with all she's got!!!

if hillary won and we took a vote, i guarantee you that the vast majority of obama's supporters would have totally and completely supported hillary all the way to the white house!!!

it is without question that your life will be LOADS better-AND SAFER--with President Obama.

20. Marilyn

Oprah, your time is over. Go away!!

21. Chris

Are we Hillary supporters nothing more than Pavlovian Dogs? I wonder this because everyone thinks we are to move only when Hillary rings the bell. Yes, I did vote for Hillary and am proud of what she has accomplished; however, I am a democrat and will vote for the party that shares my values. I am not a barganing chip and resent the idea that the near 18 million who voted for her will only vote for Obama if she is given the VP slot.

Remember that we are all democrats and taking back the White House is priority number one. I know it hurts to see our candidate come up short, but threatning to vote for McCain will not help us in the long run. It is time to come together and support OUR candidate and get ready for November!

22. Stay at home

I never really liked Oprah before, but now I sure do!

23. randy

Some people are trying to say that the endorsement of obama by oprah is the reason why that her ratings but I don't belive so rating are down in entertainment shows and talk shows in general.it is because of internet. And still belive that oprah endorsement obama made him where he is today once again thanks oprah.

24. J.L.

I'm sure Oprah couldn't care less that some Kool-Aid drinkers for HRC will not watch her show again and are mad at her! She has her millions and none of you can take them away, so what does she care what you think.

As for HRC supporters being disrespected–you are full of yourself like your conceited candidate! Barack doesn't need you. He will be elected President, so go ahead and vote for McCain, form your own party, stay home and sulk–just plain go away and let the true Democrats rejoice at the history that was made yesterday and that will be made in January when President Obama is sworn in!

June 4, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  25. billu

Roe V Wade
    End of Iraq War
    No Tax cuts

Go ahead and vote for McCain

We want you but claiming "she was robbed" when never ever had the lead in anything.

June 4, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |