June 5th, 2008

Polls: Obama, McCain locked in dead heat

Obama and McCain are neck and neck.

Obama and McCain are neck and neck.

(CNN) - One day after the general election officially kicked off, a new CNN "poll of polls" suggests Barack Obama and John McCain are locked in a tight race for the White House.

According to CNN's average of four recent national polls, the-newly minted Democratic presidential nominee holds a narrow 2 point lead over McCain among registered voters, 47 percent to 45 percent. Nearly 10 percent say they are undecided.

The polls included in the sample were conducted between May 21 and June 3, all before Obama officially wrapped up the nomination Tuesday night. The poll of polls included recent surveys from CBS, Gallup, Pew, and Newsweek.

1. Ironman

Hillery said "My differences with Senator Obama are small compared to the differences we have with Senator McCain and the Republicans."

Nuff Said
    Democrats 2008

no more GI Deaths. Be on the team that brings our troops home NOW!

June 5, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  2. NickNas

Not for long. Remember how many times Obama was 30 to 40 points BEHIND and he came back to a 40 point win!

Now that the Democrats can focus on a SINGLE target things will go very well for us.

June 5, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  3. Rob R

I suspect the polls will tip increasingly in Obama's favor now that he can focus on McCain and not deal with attacks from Hillary. Now that he can focus on the real issues and show stark contrasts to McCain, more voters will come to realize that Obama's ideas are more inline with what everyday Americans need and think.

June 5, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  4. HILLARY CAN WIN IN NOVEMBER!!

HILLARY WAS FORCED OUT BECAUSE OF SEXISM!

THIS IS SAD, BECAUSE THERE ARE A LOT OF YOUNG GIRLS AND WOMEN WATCHING, INCLUDING OBAMA'S DAUGHTERS.

WHAT A SAD TIME FOR HILLARY'S SUPPORTERS.
    I WILL ALWAYS STAND BEHIND HILLARY, AND HOPE THAT SHE RETURNS IN 4 YEARS TO WIN THE PRESIDENCY!

June 5, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  5. Voting Obama

No more republicans. Stop the drama and vote Obama!! Put all your anger and bitterness aside and do the right thing. GOD bless Obama and HRC!! I hope they can make it happen and bring this party back together!! I am tired of suppoprting an endless war!!

All you HRC supporters, if you really want to see HRC win vote Obama. They believed in the same thing. We need to change this country. Voting McSame is only hurting you!

June 5, 2008 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  6. Independent for Obama

That will start to change once people get to know Obama and his differences with McCain. I think this may be a close election year, but Obama will take it in the end.

June 5, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  7. GO HILL!

Everytime I get to a point where I could stomach voting for Obama, the CNN "best political team" opens their mouths and bash Hillary. They have made my decision for me, NOT to vote for BO, and it just confirms the bias and sexism I have seen against Hillary since last year.

June 5, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  8. Clinton Supporter

Watch Obamas fall!!

Now that Hillary is out....he will drop like a rock!!!

Bye, bye Obama!!!

June 5, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  9. Kenneth M

THIS IS A PERFECT TIME FOR HILLARY SUPPORTERS TO BELLY UP TO THE BAR. WILL THEY SAY "SEE I TOLD YOU SO?" OR WILL THEY SUPPORT THE PARTY. IF THEY CHOOSE TO SAY I TOLD YOU SO THEN I HOPE THEY WILL NOT COME BACK WHEN WE START WINNING WITHOUT THEM. WIN OR LOOSE OBAMA DID BETTER THEN CLINTON WHICH IS MORE THEN ANYONE EXPECTED.

June 5, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  10. Enlightened Voter - No hillary for VP

Interesting because the other polls i looked at (including the one on the front page of CNN today shows Obama over mcwar by 5+ points or more. No matter by November smart people will have seen the light.

June 5, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  11. Voting Obama

They use to call him Crazy McCain when he was in the military. Imagine him running the country. Stop being bitter and prejudice. You know McSame is not the best thing!!

June 5, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  12. ct voter

These polls mean nothing, they've been wrong so many time's, last 4 years ago Bush was supposed to loose in the polls and look what happened. I really think some people make the opposite choice to confuse the other party and hope some of the other side stays home.

June 5, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  13. Robert

Come on CNN, if you're going to publish poll data, I say scrap all of the past data and start fresh. It's time to stop looking backward and start focusing on what's happening NOW.

Polls, schmolls. You can cut that data any way that seems sensational or press-worthy to get a good headline.

June 5, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  14. martin

i expect obamas numbers to go up ,when clinton's gone.

June 5, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  15. GO HILL!

Jeffrey Toobin should be ashamed. Gloria Borger needs to stop making faces at the back row of the best political team, then change to a smile as she realizes she's truned back and facing the cameras. Cooper needs to hold a "love-in" for BO and come out of the closet for him. And most of all, Cafferty, the sexist, needs to be removed from television and go on talk radio where his bias and sexism belong.

June 5, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  16. Breaker

I don't beleive that for a minute !!!!

June 5, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  17. Ms. GA

McCain is getting Clinton's supporters and that's really sad.

June 5, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  18. A CANUCK

Gramps is going to find out he can learn a lot from this bright young man. Show 'em all Obama !!

June 5, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  19. WH

Ironman, did you not listen to Obamas speech the other night? His words on Iraq were..........there is no easy solution. I really hope all of you don't lose your faith once you realize that the troops will not be coming home any time soon. The troops know it......maybe you should realize it.

June 5, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  20. NC voter

No Hillary?

NO DEMOCRATS

I will ACTIVELY campaignf or McCain

IN NOVEMBER WE"LL REMEMBER (the way the DNC screwed Hillary)

June 5, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  21. JC

This is exciting.
    I would like to see the two nominees debate any time soon.
    I hope they will focus on the issues that matter to our nation.

June 5, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  22. Chris

McCain 08!

Obama will NEVER get my vote. I will not stand side by side with these crazy Obama nuts! NEVER.

Hillary has been cheated this byt The Media and people calling her Racist. Obama is the true Racist! His camp has been running with it.

June 5, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  23. Sarah

After few debates, you will see more people coming towards Obama...
    I expect 55-45 soon

Yes we can

June 5, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  24. Vote Smart

Hillary supporters, please do not be spiteful and vote for John McCain! Go to barackobama.com and read up on Obama, so you can realize that his policies are so in line with Hillary's. It would be a huge mistake to vote for McCain, he is the complete opposite of everything Hillary and Obama stand for! Please THINK about this and come to the right choice!

June 5, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  25. Cliff

More war, recession, unemployment, high gas prices, America's poor world image, crumbling infrastructure, lack of healthcare-yes McCain offers a lot to the American people.

June 5, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |