June 5th, 2008

Polls: Obama, McCain locked in dead heat

Obama and McCain are neck and neck.

Obama and McCain are neck and neck.

(CNN) - One day after the general election officially kicked off, a new CNN "poll of polls" suggests Barack Obama and John McCain are locked in a tight race for the White House.

According to CNN's average of four recent national polls, the-newly minted Democratic presidential nominee holds a narrow 2 point lead over McCain among registered voters, 47 percent to 45 percent. Nearly 10 percent say they are undecided.

The polls included in the sample were conducted between May 21 and June 3, all before Obama officially wrapped up the nomination Tuesday night. The poll of polls included recent surveys from CBS, Gallup, Pew, and Newsweek.

1. Deena

WH, he said we should be as careful getting out as we were careless getting in. Obama knows the best way to get our boys home. Gramps is not even entertaining the possibility of a withdrawal. He will be in his rocking chair soon because of it!

June 5, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  2. alex richards

hey due...do any conservativeor republican notes get posted on pro-obama cnn? I alwayse post comments they never get on...haha..watch this one get on..but u ignore the others..lol typical..

June 5, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  3. Paul

Surprise surprise after 8 years of Bush, democrates cannot have a lead.. well people tolerating hatred i not welcome in America!!

June 5, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  4. GO HILLARY....

..AWAY!!!!!

June 5, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  5. cmoore

Say Hello to the "New" Jimmy Carter!!!!!!!!

June 5, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  6. Tully

"If you care about our troops at all, you cannot vote for McCain who will send them out for more and more tours of duty. He says he cares, but his actions don't prove it"

Hey clueless- the troops believe what they are fighting for in IRAQ. They dont care what you think from your couch eating big macs. If you think a democrat is going to pull the troops out within a year you need professional help. The war is not ending anytime soon- rep or dem in office.

June 5, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  7. JULIA

Hey, as for your QUICK VOTE on the front of CNN.com.

Keep in mind, people, that CNN is a liberal media source, so Republicans and conservatives will rarely be out here voting. Add on another 20% to John McCain's numbers and THAT is the real truth of that quick vote.

June 5, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  8. Tree hugger for McCain

Now that Hillary is out, all her supporters will flock to McCain. Her views are much more similar to McCain's than they are to Barack Osama's.
    McCain 08!!

June 5, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  9. Hillary Supporter

I'm a HIllary supporter, but now that's she's dropped out, I'm giving my all to Barack. If McCain wins, everything HIllary stands for, from bringing the troops home to more accessible health care, gets thrown under the bus!

June 5, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  10. Andy

I am still dumbfounded that the Hillary diehards are screaming at this point about being jilted out of the nomination. The numbers spoke for themselves, and no amount of yelling "sexism" can change them. Have you really swallowed the "win at any cost" doctrine to the point that you are willing to let the Republicans win by default AGAIN? Are you really that self centered and childish? I think you folks need to remember what has been happening in this country for the past eight years. Do you need to be reminded why both Clinton and Obama wanted to run in the first place? There have been plenty of times my candidate didn't make it to the primary, but I never even considered getting into a five year old's snit and voting the other way out of spite. Good lord...

June 5, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  11. RYAN

No more Republican liars and propagandas....they will lose this election big time both senate seats and the presidency...We don't care what the bias polls say... No one is going to vote for 100 yrs war, bomb bomb Iran, gas @5.00, unemployment, foreclosures, tax cut for the rich and cowboy diplomacy except those living inside a box....

June 5, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  12. Dave M

Obama does not want Hillary for his VP. The reason is that she is more intelligent, experienced and she will outshine him. What an insecure weak man he is.
    I cannot wait until November to sit back and watch him loose to McCain.
    The Dems are very mistaken if they think for one second Obama does not need Hillary as VP.

Obama you are a looser.

June 5, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  13. Brian Tesh

Do republicans (besides mccain voting hillary supporters) even read or use the computer? I never see comments from McCain supporters or any other republicans.

Anyway, I really can't fathom why anyone, even republicans would want to vote for mccain. ANYONE has to see where the country has gone, and if there are people that actually believe things are better somehow, we shouldn't just divide by political party, but by giving them their own country somewhere. One full of violence and poverty since that seems to be what they love.

June 5, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  14. Jeanine

I am 110% a supporter of Hillary! And I will vote for Obama in the end...I would rather see him the White house then have us in the war for another 30 years....Unite!

June 5, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  15. Michelle

IT WAS THE REPUBLICAN PARTY THAT MOVED UP THE PRIMARY IN FLORIDA!!!!

People, don't fall for what the trap the republicans have set!!!!!

June 5, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  16. Adam

How can nearly 50% of Americans possibly want McSame? Haven't we learned anything in the last 8 years???

June 5, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  17. Party Crasher

Never Obama – Anti Obama movement June 5th, 2008 10:49 am ET

martin you expect his numbers to go up – really? 18 million people did not vote for him the primaries.
    ====================================================

Those 18 million did not vote for McBush either, did they. Its funny that many Clinton supporters and voter truely belived that if she had won the the nearly 18 million that voter for Obama were just going to fall in line.

But those same supporter were complaining about sexism. Tell me something, if the sexism is true would they not have voted for McCain? He a man correct?

June 5, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  18. Charlotte

Well, nice to know some people at least read what others say. I am a democrat, I am not a Republican. I have voted for Republicans in the past because the Democratic Party chose the wrong person in my opinion. It was also the opinion of a lot of other democratcs who crossed over to vote for Reagan. I do not believe Obama is the best person for the job. The DNC has been trying to force Hillary out of the race for along time. That is what I find objectionable. The media has given Obama a free ride. The Wright issue came out because they finally had no choice but to air it. I am not happy my candidate lost, that is true. Once again I am forced to choose an alternative to the nominee. I choose to write in Hillary Clinton.

June 5, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  19. Nancy

America is ready for a change.....We've been on the wrong path for too long now....McCain would only give us more of the same leadership we've had for 8 years.
    The majority of Americans are smart enough to know that another Republican term would be detrimental to our international image. We need a change.

June 5, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  20. james

I'm glad we know who the candidate is now so I can now focus my efforts and campaigning for McCain.

Hillary was the best choice but actually I disagree that Obama Clinton are more similar than McCain and Clinton. McCain is a true Patriot and a proud American like Hillary.

Don't trust nor do I like Obama. He scares me and is far to liberal and unreligous for me.

McCain'08 for Clinton '12
    HILLARY SUPPORTES MUST MAKE IT HAPPEN FOR HILLARY '12 BECAUSE SHE CAN'T ASK US TO DO IT – SHE'D BE SHOOTING HERSELF IN THE FOOT.

June 5, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  21. robb

Geeez. Hillary – close but no cigar (maybe Bill has a spare cigar laying around, I suspect he always keeps one handy.) Here's a thought, now that Bill can't help her politically, will she dump him in 2009?

CNN – waaaaay to early for polls to mean anything.

June 5, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  22. Dem Switching

McCain will get my vote I am a switching democrat.

June 5, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  23. Mike Cobb, Palo Alto, CA

The attitudes of some of the supporters of Hillary is nothing short of amazing ... it reminds me of the old saying; "cut off your nose to spite your face." I care deeply about women's rights, but that doesn't mean that if a woman doesn't win the nomination, I'm obligated to cast a spiteful vote. And any vote that helps defeat Obama is a vote against women's issues. Example no. 1 ... abortion rights. Ultimately, the election is about issues, not gender, not race, not personalities. You have a brain. Use it.

June 5, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  24. j in colorado

It's funny reading all the rants and raves from crazy, crazy, crazy liberals. Can't wait for reality to set in. . . sometime after Nov. 2.

June 5, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  25. Ann

Pat (NY), I knew you were just a big teddy bear!! Great example of an ardent HRC supporter who is mature enough to put the party first. DEMS/08

June 5, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |