June 5th, 2008

Polls: Obama, McCain locked in dead heat

Obama and McCain are neck and neck.

Obama and McCain are neck and neck.

(CNN) - One day after the general election officially kicked off, a new CNN "poll of polls" suggests Barack Obama and John McCain are locked in a tight race for the White House.

According to CNN's average of four recent national polls, the-newly minted Democratic presidential nominee holds a narrow 2 point lead over McCain among registered voters, 47 percent to 45 percent. Nearly 10 percent say they are undecided.

The polls included in the sample were conducted between May 21 and June 3, all before Obama officially wrapped up the nomination Tuesday night. The poll of polls included recent surveys from CBS, Gallup, Pew, and Newsweek.

1. Erika, KS

Vic in Nashville,
    I am 100% with you! The DNC behavior is a slap in the face, not only to Hillary Clinton, but to the 18 million that supported her.

You can blame the republicans all day long for the mess this country is in, but be honest, they did it with the help of the democrats in Congress. A republican president started this mess and you want a democrat to clean it up? Ridiculous! McCain should clean it up.

June 5, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  2. Voters as sheep

Now 18 million of you sheep turn, and vote sock puppet.

June 5, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  3. Truth

My vote goes to McCain come November.
    I supported Hillary, the first MOST qualified presidential candidate.

Hillary is such a honorable person. She was treated with disrespect. I am sorry I can not stand this.

Now, my vote goes to McCain, and so my family and friends.

June 5, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  4. Dem Switching

Hillary will do the right thing, but it will be too late. There are those of us who no matter what will not forget what the democratic party has done not just to Hillary but to her supporters. Those of us who will be switching our party come November because we don't like the democratic nominee is our right. In 4 years or 8 if we like the nominee running on the democratic ticket then again it is our right to change, but for now this November there will be alot of us changing parties or just not voting.

June 5, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  5. Andy J, NY

By the way, since the Democrats took control of Congress, gas has gone from just over $2.00 a gallon to $4.00 a gallon.

I believe it was the lovely Nancy Pelosi who said the Democratic controlled Congress was going to do something about the rising cost of gasoline... she just failed to mention that she was going to expedite the rising cost, as opposed to easing pressure at the gas pump and on our wallets.

Way to go.

Don't forget, Congress has a lower approval rating that Bush... what does that say about them?! How come nobody cares? All you people who are pro-democrat, don't you realize your people are messing up just as much as republicans????

WAKE UP!!!!

June 5, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  6. Praetorian, Fort Myers

I say to B. Hussein Obam as a southern man...kiss my grits!!

I'll stay home before I vote for a socialist!!

June 5, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  7. arthur glasgow

The caption, " Obama and McCain neck to neck" is most appropriate. Look at the differences in the skin on their necks. McCain may be vigorous for an old man but he is visibly an old man and his thinking is that of an old man. After all the harm done to our country and to us by the non-thinking George Bush we need someone young and courageous to rebuild the country.

June 5, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  8. La Raza

To those like "never obama",

Remember you just represent one vote. Your statements and "threats" do not matter. And you are really republicans anyway so go away please. In your heart of hearts (if you have one) you know that McCain is a joke. I mean really, did you see McCain's speech?

June 5, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  9. Joe

They need to remove these comments from these Tickers, some of the comments are ridiculous and it shows how ignorant (no let me say stupid), Americans really are!

June 5, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  10. Robert

History shows that when the majority of people feel the country is on the wrong track, their pockets are emptying, and they're war-weary, they will vote for change regardless of party. Simple as that.

June 5, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  11. Ed

This poll of polls probably does not reflect the total disgrace left by the DNC after the 5/31 RBC decision. Utterly disgusting. I would imagine scores of people have decided they can no longer abide by such an un-Democratic party and switched to Indie or GOP.

June 5, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  12. Wisconsin Vet

re:NC voter June 5th, 2008 10:44 am ET

No Hillary?

NO DEMOCRATS

I will ACTIVELY campaignf or McCain

IN NOVEMBER WE"LL REMEMBER (the way the DNC screwed Hillary)

And how you traitors tried to screw America with 4 more years of Bush

13. Len

CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE

What does that mean? It means nothing. it is a catchy phrase that means nothing and has no substance. They could put Fred Flintstone in the whitehouse, and that would be change !!!!!

14. Party Crasher

To Latigo,

Did you listen to Mc-Studder tuesday? How many times can you say My Friends?

How many times did you get lied to in the past 5 years about Iraq? How long will you believe that things are getting better and each day that goes by the news reports more soldiers dead in Iraq, not to mention that they don't report the injuries.

Oh, by the way the leader of Iraq is going to sit down and talk to the leaders in IRAN. Well, I guess we see who they may be cutting deals with in the future. Thanks GWB, thanks alot!

15. F. Taylor

The election will depend entirely on how opened minded and observant the voters are. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see the intelligence level between both candidates is drastic with McCain so far behind he thinks he's first.

To date McCain has only been fudging Obama's positions or comments trying to fool people but when they get one on one and the truth comes out results 70% to Obama!

16. Andy- Fresno,Ca

Oboma will never get my vote!!!!!!!!!!
    This dem will vote for McCain!!

Thanks DNC!!!!

17. Nick

Just wait till Hillary puts her muscle behind Obama, and her supporters realize that a vote for McCain will DESTROY all the hard work done on behalf of women's rights in the 60's and 70's. These polls will change!!

18. Bill

John Mcain,
    Honorable war hero and POW. Once considered the only republican I could stomach voting for (8 years ago). Champion of the people, very well aligned with Obama (4 years ago). Bush jr. (Present). Who knows who he'll be if he gets elected..... And will HE know who he is? Moses was 700 when he lead the Israelites. Do we want a leader that old?!?!?!?

19. B. DUN

As a supporter of the democratic philosophy, the primaries held by the DNC, and their policies and procedures, have left me no alternative, but to realize, that the only way,that America is going to survive to fight another day, is support of efforts of President .to be JOHN McCAIN,

Please GOD HELP AMERICA !!!

20. Minnesota

The reason we are now being told for Hillary's loss is sexism. I guess all the lies, deception and the boatload of scandals had nothing to do with it.

21. hillary hater

Maybe the poll was conducted in VW and KT

22. Ex Democrat

Wait – before you people think Obama will be next pres. think what do yuou know about this man. Not much I guess and waht we know is not pretty (at all). Hillary can endorese Obama all she wants – she is forced to by the Nancy Peolsi and Howard Dean the so called leaders

Are you voting democrat just to be allong party lines? I will say we vote for who is better for this COUNTRY

When was the last time the democrats did anything good even if they have a majority in the congress? I can give you a lithany of bad crap they pulled over our eyes. I'm done with the democrats and I will not vote for Obama – he is not fit to lead ths country

Let's see if this get posted!!

23. MLG

McCain has my vote all the way.

24. Faith Halperin - Fla

Current democrats, take a while and find out the truth about what republicans cherish: lower taxes, less government control of our daily lives, market economy and individual responsibility among some of the ideas we love. Compare that with what Obama has promised: government control of our health (euthanasia of the elderly???), higher taxes (I can't believe he would say this!!! but he did), blaming the US before the adversaries around the world who have sworn to destroy us. To support a democrat today is truly a crazy proposition.

June 5, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  25. Michelle from Colorado

I am decided. I have decided to make up my mind in November when I can actually see the ballot. Ralph Nader is looking good. Maybe when he loses and whichever of the two real party nominees wins and screws up the country even more, I can still say I voted, but not for "him".

June 5, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |